Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: decent point and shoot for concerts  (Read 2365 times)

Offline ts

• Trade Count: (81)
  • Needs to get out more...
decent point and shoot for concerts
« on: August 30, 2007, 09:53:37 AM »
Looking for a pocket size point and shoot for concerts, if there is such an animal. I'm looking for small so it can fit in my gear bag. Nothing that takes AA's, as they are a tad too big. Also would like a decent zoom. Looked at the 10x Panasonic but it's just a wee bit too big. Optical IS would also be a nice feature although I've been told it won't help much in low light ??? Looking to spend no more than say 350 - 400. Please don't go techno on me. I am only an amature that wishes to walk out of a show with a few keepers. Thanks.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2007, 10:42:13 AM by ts »

Offline Frank in JC

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • (formerly Frank M, but that guy forgot his pwd)
Re: decent point and shoot for concerts
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2007, 11:11:33 AM »
If you're doing any indoor concert shooting, be aware that compacts are poor cameras for low-light photography.  The images they produce at anything other than their lowest ISO are very noisy/grainy, often with distracting color artifacts.  The lower the number, the less light sensitive the camera becomes but the images are of a very high quality.  The higher the number, the opposite.  That means you'll need to use a high ISO speed to shoot a concert which, on a compact camera, will produce grainy images.  I'm not trying to dissuade you, just be aware there are some compromises. 

I have a Canon G7 that doesn't get used much since I got the D200, but it's still a nice all-around compact that I'd recommend.  I've also read that the Canon A640 takes almost exactly the same pictures and it's cheaper... it just doesn't have all the bells and whistles (things you probably won't miss for the most part).

Hope this helps.

[Oh wait... the A640 uses AA batteries.  The G7 uses a Li-ion.]

Favorite generic quote from Archive.org:
"This recording is SICK--it's almost as good as a soundboard!"

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2007, 11:40:11 AM »
There are other threads here you may want to check out on this topic.   I find that ALL of the compacts lack sufficient zoom to get close enough for many concert situations.  They're typically only 3x to 3.8X. The panasonic lumix is about the only exception.

The lumix you mention has a 10x optical zoom (28mm to 280mm equiv)... I just bought one before vacation and have shot 1500 pics but haven't used it at a show yet. I am hopeful that it will work well.  I got mine at costco and they have a 90 day return policy. Pretty happy with it so far. The video was pretty good even in a low light bar situation (though like many compacts, no zoom while shooting). The IS is decent and essential with the long zoom. I was strongly considering the new canon 850IS but the zoom is very limited.  The 10x zoom lets me get so many shots that otherwise just wouldn't be possible. I wish the lumix had a regular viewfinder but I'm sure those are tough to do with a 10x zoom range.

Frank is right about low light..  Regardless of camera I think you generally need to brace the camera on a solid object.  Not everyone does that, even when they have rails, etc, right in front of them... I think the IS is a big help in low light and essential when you can't really brace the camera.

The fuji F30 and F31fd, etc, have the best low light capability of any compact.  But the zoom is too limited for me.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonictz3/
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fujifilmf31fd/

Offline ts

• Trade Count: (81)
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2007, 12:55:46 PM »
There are other threads here you may want to check out on this topic.   I find that ALL of the compacts lack sufficient zoom to get close enough for many concert situations.  They're typically only 3x to 3.8X. The panasonic lumix is about the only exception.

The lumix you mention has a 10x optical zoom (28mm to 280mm equiv)... I just bought one before vacation and have shot 1500 pics but haven't used it at a show yet. I am hopeful that it will work well.  I got mine at costco and they have a 90 day return policy. Pretty happy with it so far. The video was pretty good even in a low light bar situation (though like many compacts, no zoom while shooting). The IS is decent and essential with the long zoom. I was strongly considering the new canon 850IS but the zoom is very limited.  The 10x zoom lets me get so many shots that otherwise just wouldn't be possible. I wish the lumix had a regular viewfinder but I'm sure those are tough to do with a 10x zoom range.

Frank is right about low light..  Regardless of camera I think you generally need to brace the camera on a solid object.  Not everyone does that, even when they have rails, etc, right in front of them... I think the IS is a big help in low light and essential when you can't really brace the camera.

The fuji F30 and F31fd, etc, have the best low light capability of any compact.  But the zoom is too limited for me.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonictz3/
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fujifilmf31fd/

I'm leaning towards the Panasonic 10X right now for all the reasons you have mentioned and it's not as big as I thought it was. I have also considered the Canon 850 but decided against it becasue of the zoom.

Thanks +t

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.139 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com