Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Tripod Suggestions  (Read 2094 times)

Offline Low Spark

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
Mics: AKG 481

American by Birth - A Southerner by the Grace of God.

I caught myself pumping the air with my fist, throwing elbows and getting down like an 18-year-old on his first mushroom trip on the lawn at Raleigh. But since every night is Saturday

Offline mikesalvo

• Trade Count: (51)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • get your Avett on!!!
Re: Tripod Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2008, 11:22:55 PM »
dont knwo much about this unit, but Ive alwyas had my best results with fluid heads. mic.lighting stands can be done cheaply, but its always safest to spend a few more bucks to assure youre getting the best you can when it comes to camera tripods.
AKG se300b (ck/91, ck/93) > Busman T-Mod R-4

Offline gearscout

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2008, 09:07:24 AM »
You might look at this combo:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/220398-REG/Bogen_Manfrotto__3021N_Tripod_Legs_Chrome_.html

It's Bogen-Manfrotto 3021 aluminum tripod with a Bogen-Manfrotto 3130 light fluid head.  Around $250.  Holds a videocamera up to around 8 lbs.  Quick release.

Edit: Oops!  See they no longer stock the 3021N or 3021Pro models.  But there is a replacement...new model number.  The Pro version enables you to pluck the center post out and mount it horizontally.  This made it easier to photograph/video documents, photos, etc. that were laid flat on a table.  Now, it's "improved" and they added leg wraps (which you could always buy separately.)  Since you probably won't be doing much horizontal work, you might look around for an older 3021Pro and see if you can get it cheaper.

New Manfrotto 055XPROB Pro

Take your camera to a photo store and try mounting it on a couple of heads.  Obviously, the more you spend, the heavier and smoother head you can buy.  But it won't do any good to buy a really nice head if the tripod won't give it rock-solid support.  The cheap $79 tripods will only frustrate you.  The E-Bay item "looks" good, but I haven't used it...I have used the 3021Pro, a lot.

The 3130 head does NOT have a bubble level.  But you can add a hot-shoe bubble level if your handycam has a hot-shoe or fix an inexpensive "bullseye" bubble level from Ace Hardware to the camera.  The heads with illuminated bubble levels cost hundreds of dollars more and are designed for much heavier cameras.

Hope that helps.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2008, 09:36:03 AM by gearscout »

Offline DougL

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2008, 05:05:39 AM »
I use a Libec, which cost about $500, which is the bottom end of useful video tripods. If you want to pan and zoom, spend as much money as possible. A friend spent about $400 on a Bogen-Manfrotto and then compared it to my true fluid head tripod. He returned his Bogen-Manfrotto and bought a $2500 tripod because he needed to be able to make steady pan and zoom shots. However, if you are just going to lock down the tripod and not pan and zoom, anything solid will work.

Offline saltman

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2008, 01:19:42 PM »
Whatever you do don't get that head for video.  It's not fluid at all and is generally useless.  I have the Bogen one they copied.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.169 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com