Gear / Technical Help > Microphones & Setup

Acoustic Recording Techniques

<< < (2/12) > >>

voltronic:

--- Quote from: aaronji on December 06, 2023, 04:17:14 PM ---Great idea!

--- Quote from: voltronic on December 06, 2023, 03:45:52 PM ---Discussion of all genres of music are welcome, so long as they are limited to instruments or voices performing without PA reinforcement.

--- End quote ---

Just to clarify, does this allow for performances where an instrumentalist plays through an on-stage amp (a jazz electric guitar player, for example), but without an actual PA system?

--- End quote ---

Yes, that qualifies. I will update the OP accordingly. I just wanted to carve out a place here where we could exclusively discuss recording non-PA concerts.

opsopcopolis:
Been a long time since I did any recording of this style, and I think we've discussed it before, but a decca tree (or even pair of omnis at the conductor) in a nice big room... :chefskiss:

My personal favorite recording in that style that I've ever made was a youth orchestra at Strathmore in Bethesda, MD. Pair of Telefunken M60s with the TK61 caps either side of the conductor, and then a pair of LDCs in cardioid essentially in the wings pointing in. The main body of the recording was the omnis, but the cards helped to provide some really nice space to the whole thing. I think I've got it on dropbox somewhere, might could dig up a sample...

But in general, in a nice lively room with reasonable performance volume omnis are really beautiful

Ronmac:

--- Quote from: voltronic on December 06, 2023, 03:45:52 PM ---This thread is for discussion of configurations, techniques, and theory specific to recording acoustic music.

--- End quote ---

Thanks Voltronic. The links you have provided are an excellent reference! I am not an "arena live show taper". My focus is on live acoustic music recording and my self-funded doc and sound design work.

Looking forward to participating more here.

voltronic:
Here are a few samples of my choir's dress rehearsal last night to demonstrate the Gerzon array. 4011A's into my F6, with shuffling EQ (see Gerzon article above) and some very slight RX Spectral Denoise in post.

The choir is about 90 singers. Sopranos left, Basses right, Altos center, Tenors behind Altos. Chamber choir is 24 singers.

Lux Arumque
Lo, How a Rose E'er Blooming (chamber choir)
Happy Holiday
Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas (with alternate ending take)

I also recorded an omni pair, but there was a problem there that I would rather discuss in the F6 thread.

morst:
OK, I'm in on this thread.

I recorded a duo with no PA once.
There was a guitar amplifier involved, but no vocal reinforcement via mics or PA- just people singing into mostly the air, but also my mics.

https://archive.org/details/VictorKrummenacher2018-12-13/

I've recorded singalongs with voices and acoustic guitars, but not to any great results, due to my ersatz stereo pair placement, and the general event style....

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version