Gear / Technical Help > Microphones & Setup

Blind Listening Test of Two Popular Microphones

<< < (3/4) > >>

Chanher:

--- Quote from: jes1982 on March 10, 2024, 02:30:24 PM ---What I didn't account for before posting: I'm not certain what post-processing was done on the Schoeps recording.  I assumed just a gain boost, but I could be wrong.  So that's a variable that could affect the comparison.

If you want a visual, the tapers were seated next to each other in the dead center of the 8th row.

--- End quote ---

Let us know if you are able to confirm any post-processing on the Schoeps source, I'm highly curious. I am surprised, like Voltronic, and I will openly admit I though that source B might be Schoeps mics.

Also did anyone else hear both sources a bit more strong on the left? I hope I don't have a monitor malfunctioning....

Gutbucket:
I've been meaning to download an listen to this but have not yet had the chance, and unfortunately won't be able to until next week.

Question: Was PA reinforcement used for this performance, or was it just the instruments themselves energizing the room (possibly with a bass amp)?  If not PA reinforced, row 8 is quite far for piano, and acoustic bass too.  Just from looking at the photo, row 8 appears reasonable with PA, but well beyond the critical radius of reverberation without. Can still sound good back there during the performance, but I would expect is to sound better live than in a recording made from the same position.  A non PA amplified recording is likely to benefit from a significantly closer position, where the little bit of direct arriving sound from those highly indirect diffuse-projection instruments isn't swamped by the more significant indirect arriving hall sound.

jes1982:

--- Quote from: Chanher on March 20, 2024, 12:26:58 PM ---Let us know if you are able to confirm any post-processing on the Schoeps source, I'm highly curious. I am surprised, like Voltronic, and I will openly admit I though that source B might be Schoeps mics.

--- End quote ---

Sorry for the delayed reply; had been out of town and not logging in here.

Unfortunately, the taper with the Schoeps microphones passed away a few years ago and his info file doesn't include any post-processing notes.  My hunch is that a gain boost was the only thing he did with the raw files.

jes1982:

--- Quote from: Gutbucket on March 20, 2024, 03:35:59 PM ---Question: Was PA reinforcement used for this performance, or was it just the instruments themselves energizing the room (possibly with a bass amp)?  If not PA reinforced, row 8 is quite far for piano, and acoustic bass too.  Just from looking at the photo, row 8 appears reasonable with PA, but well beyond the critical radius of reverberation without. Can still sound good back there during the performance, but I would expect is to sound better live than in a recording made from the same position.  A non PA amplified recording is likely to benefit from a significantly closer position, where the little bit of direct arriving sound from those highly indirect diffuse-projection instruments isn't swamped by the more significant indirect arriving hall sound.

--- End quote ---

Definitely PA reinforcement for both nights.  I've seen the pianist many, many times, and he almost always has his own sound engineer with him.

jb63:
Here's a great A/B for you.
Both tapes are unprocessed (outside of the Oade mods in the recorders) and are directly side by side.
Rock show rules apply.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1WKU8cqIxZyACNogt1eAUDgJvRHG0Ug07/view?usp=share_link

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Oh2t6a2-11YcEHzacvqJUzkUb2Myw8Nh/view?usp=share_link

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version