Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Conventions for splitting tracks?  (Read 2928 times)

Offline terabyte23

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Taperssection Regular
Conventions for splitting tracks?
« on: April 22, 2008, 08:12:01 PM »
Hi folks.  Say there are two songs with a minute of the band talking/tuning in between.  Do you split the tracks right where the first song ends?  Halfway between songs?  Right before the second song begins?

Just wondering if there are generally-accepted conventions for splitting tracks...  Thanks for helping a newbie  ;D

AKG ck61/ck63 > Naiant couplings > Naiant Tinybox > M10
CA-14 cards/omnis > SP-SPSB-8 > M10

Offline bl6216@yahoo.com

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Photographer:Jim Marshall - Jerry @ Woodstock
Re: Conventions for splitting tracks?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2008, 08:13:39 PM »
Right before the second song begins
MBHO KA200 N / KA500 HN > Hi Ho Custom Silver Actives > MBHO 603 A > Van Den Hul The Second >  SD722

coming soon Hi Ho Custom Silver Actives

Show I taped on archive.org http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/deadhead6216

"We're the first generation that's really capable of saving this music forever. Now is the time because we finally have the digital technology that allows us to preserve it indefinitely. It's also the critical time to do this because the older recordings are really deteriorating. It's an opportunity and it's also a serious responsibility, future generations will hold us responsible for what we do or do not do as far as preserving th

wklitz

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2008, 03:15:31 AM »
if it is a significant amount of time between songs, I would go with a banter/tuning track in between, but for 1 minute, just split it right before the next song.

Offline jamroom

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2008, 07:10:42 AM »
I always split right before the song - after the banter, unless the banter is in some way introducing the next song. Think of it like listening to indvidual tracks. Your interest might wander if there is a minute or two before the song starts, but wouldn't mind so much if it was at the end. I personally will not create a track for encore applause or other such gaps, but can see why you might want to do so on occasion.

Offline rowjimmytour

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • My LMA bookmarks
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2008, 06:52:09 PM »
Right before the second song begins
Dito :coolguy:
http://www.archive.org/bookmarNo
And the trees are all kept equal
By hatchet, axe and saw

Offline boojum

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2008, 09:41:47 PM »
Two second fade-in at begining of song; five second fade-out at the end.  Where you end the song is up to you and how much space you have left to fill on the CD.  They better be pretty interesting with the between song chatter or I drop them.  When you hear the same group a few times their "funny shit" isn't anymore.  It up to you, but the two second - five second rule is pretty good.

Cheers
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2008, 02:58:02 AM »
I always split right before the song - after the banter, unless the banter is in some way introducing the next song.

In cases where the banter includes a song introduction, I split it right before the actual introduction. For instance, a song ends and the vocalist says "That was one from our first album, this next song is from our newest album" I will probably split it where I typed the comma. Sometimes it's easier said than done, but I listen to iTunes on shuffle play a lot, and to do it any other way results in some weird nonsequiturs.

If the talking is just unrelated banter and over about 45 seconds, I will often split it into a separate track. If the space between songs has no talking or tuning, I will leave it attached to the previous song unless it's over about 90 seconds, then it gets its own track. Personally, I do not fade my recordings in or out, and if I have to break a show into parts to burn CD's, I'll pick a spot where there's a natural pause whenever possible.

Edit- I just remembered this thread while tracking out a show, and realized that I didn't post the full story for how I deal with between-song tunings. If the band starts playing sound which would tend to indicate the next song they will be playing, I often track that with the next song. Think of Grateful Dead shows- the band would often make sounds characteristic of the next song they would play, sometimes they would change their minds, and play something else. These tunings which relate to the next song are usually best tracked with that song, in my opinion.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2008, 03:33:54 PM by morst »
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline phanophish

• Trade Count: (2)
    • ImageLume Photography
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2008, 11:14:44 AM »
I always split right before the song - after the banter, unless the banter is in some way introducing the next song. Think of it like listening to indvidual tracks. Your interest might wander if there is a minute or two before the song starts, but wouldn't mind so much if it was at the end. I personally will not create a track for encore applause or other such gaps, but can see why you might want to do so on occasion.

Exactly what I do......

Photo:  Nikon D300, D200, 35mm f/1.8,  50mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8, Nikon 17-55 f/2.8, Sigma 18-50/2.8 Macro, 18-70 f/4.5-5.6, 24-120 f/3.5-5.6 VR, Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6, Nikon 70-200 f/2.8VR, SB-800

Jake: What's this?
Elwood: What?
Jake: This car. This stupid car. Where's the Cadillac? The Caddy? Where's the Caddy?
Elwood: The what?
Jake: The Cadillac we used to have. The Blues Mobile!
Elwood: I traded it.
Jake: You traded the Blues Mobile for this?
Elwood: No. For a microphone.
Jake: A microphone? Okay I can see that.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.089 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com