Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: New Sennheiser MKH 8030 Figure 8 mic  (Read 243 times)

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • goes to 11
New Sennheiser MKH 8030 Figure 8 mic
« on: April 16, 2024, 09:43:41 AM »

Looks like Gutbucket's prayers have been answered - a small, high quality figure 8 mic from Sennheiser was just released at the trade shows.

$1500 at B and H. Includes the MZX 8000 XLR preamplifier and is compatible with their digital preamplifier as well.

The in the box blurb - "An MZW 8030 foam windshield and MZQ 8000 mic clip are included. There is also a pair of Rycote Back-to-Back microphone clips ideal for adding an MKH 8040/8050 microphone to the MKH 8030 for mid-side or stereo audio capture"

Reasonable when compared to similar brands - a Schoeps CMC6 and MK8 is $1850 and the Sennheiser preamp is tiny more along the lines of the CMC1 but the capsule itself is bigger.
The CMC1 is $858 and MK8 is $1052 = $1910.
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline Colin Liston

• Trade Count: (8)
Occasionally....music mics record

Offline rocksuitcase

• Trade Count: (4)
    • RockSuitcase: stage photography
Re: New Sennheiser MKH 8030 Figure 8 mic
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2024, 11:54:01 AM »
verry interesting. The write up and specs look great.
music IS love

When you get confused, listen to the music play!

Mics:         AKG460|CK61|CK1|CK3|CK8|Beyer M 201E|DPA 4060 SK
Recorders:Marantz PMD661 OADE Concert mod; Tascam DR680 MKI x2; Sony PCM-M10

Online Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2024, 12:44:17 PM »
Thanks for posting about this. Good to see Senn has followed through with the long awaited new fig-8 in the 8000 series, and great to have another high quality single diaphragm fig-8 option as there aren't many.  This looks to be positioned as an alternative to Schoeps MK8 and priced similarly.

My prayer continues for a truly miniature fig-8 the size of the DPA miniatures for  >:D, but one slightly larger around miniature AT or Church Audio size might work, preferably low-voltage powered.

For anyone looking for fig-8's of similar diameter to the Senn and Schoeps options but at lower cost, here are a few options:
Rycote BD-10 (Just found out about this new one upon searching MKH 8030 this morning, looks very interesting)
B9 Audio’s CM180
MBHO KA 800 (still available?)
Ambient Emesser ATE 308 (shorter, with permanently attached cable I think)

And for anyone wanting a very inexpensive, low-cost-of-entry fig-8 to try M/S there is the Naiant X8, which is not single-diaphragm but dual back-to-back cardioid electret caps connected in reverse-polarity. The transformer version is capable of low-voltage powering with some DIY effort.  TS member checht currently has an electrically summed X8S version (Phantom power only, switchable patterns) up in the yardsale at a very attractive price: https://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=204735.msg2410530#msg2410530 [edit, sold]
^
I've used the X8S for years (replacing ADK TL for me) and was considering switching to CM180 last year before I picked up a stereo AT shotgun that is currently fulfilling my alternate fig-8 Side channel needs.. now adding BD-10 to my short mental list.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2024, 12:48:33 PM by Gutbucket »
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline if_then_else

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2024, 01:30:15 PM »

The MBHO KA800s are still available, but only on special request from the manufacturer. I ordered two of them via Canford, a MBHO reseller in the UK, at the end of last year because they were cheaper there than here in Germany. I was given a delivery time of 2-3 months. In the end it took more than half a year.

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • goes to 11
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2024, 02:26:02 PM »
The MBHO KA800s are still available, but only on special request from the manufacturer. I ordered two of them via Canford, a MBHO reseller in the UK, at the end of last year because they were cheaper there than here in Germany. I was given a delivery time of 2-3 months. In the end it took more than half a year.

The USA retailer I've dealt with for MBHO requests from the manufacturer is Dale Pro Audio.

https://daleproaudio.com/products/mbho-ka-800-a-small-diaphragm-figure-8-microphone-capsule
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline Ronmac

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: Yesterday at 07:34:55 AM »
I am a big fan of Sennheiser MKH mics and have a MKH40/30 MS rig in a Rycote Cyclone. Since I don't do any stealth recording I am OK with the size and weight.

"Dr. Badphil" (Roland Harris) has been a beta tester of the new MKH 8030 and has written extensively on his testing. You can find his remarks on his website https://drbadphil.com , as well as on Gear Space and other forums.

The MKH30 will be a big hit, due to its size and excellent spec. The MS rig suspension and wind protection developed by Cinela for the 8030/8040 combo is an incredibly small and light solution.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.072 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com