Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sony PCM-A10 (Part 2)  (Read 129603 times)

Offline vantheman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: Sony PCM-A10 (Part 2)
« Reply #90 on: January 15, 2020, 06:08:04 PM »
I ran the A10 on Sunday for Ramblin' Jack Elliott, with my new U853s (SP-CMC-2) from sound pros, modded with the low sensitivity option, and a 12v power supply, also from sound pros.

I had read this thread a couple times but I guess the mic-in/audio-in discussion hadn't really baked in yet. I ran mic in, and I'm not aware of what the negative effects would be in this case. Don't recall my levels but you'll hear audience clipping: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/12dfJL6KLbaZVeFEe3wjQEOieEAHCFIK3

By default the A10 will time out, if not recording, unless you tell it not to, so that's something else to watch out for if you want to set it and forget it and you won't be recording for a little while. You can override this in settings and force it to not time out.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2020, 06:17:12 PM by vantheman »
AT U853A (SP-CMC-4U) > SP-SPSB-10 12V > Sony A10
Line Audio CM4/OM1> Sound Devices MixPre6ii or Tascam DR100 mkiii

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #91 on: January 15, 2020, 06:12:08 PM »
maybe you can adjust time out in menu?

fortunately it boots up almost instantly.

my R07 can be 15+ seconds sometimes to boot up and find the sd card
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline vantheman

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #92 on: January 15, 2020, 06:16:16 PM »
maybe you can adjust time out in menu?

Yes, you can, I should have clarified. Make sure you do that if you're like me and you don't want to or can't touch anything after setup.

Edit: now clarified http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=192371.msg2320254#msg2320254
« Last Edit: January 15, 2020, 06:17:54 PM by vantheman »

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #93 on: January 15, 2020, 06:19:11 PM »
fwiw ive been doing some recording tests on my zoom, using the A10 pushing sennheiser cans as an audio source for some mics.

forgot about the test and came back and its still rolling 24 hrs later. battery life is phenomenal
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #94 on: January 17, 2020, 01:30:53 AM »

I posted this in one of the "available for sale" threads discussing current A10 deals...

I was doing a duckduckgo search for my FCC ID, and  I found this great FCC website with exploded photos of the early unit used to seek the patent, and all manner of technical details. Thought you'd be interested... Jerryfreak suggested that I repost it here.
https://fccid.io/AK8PCMA10

Check out the PDF of the "Short-Term Confidential Internal Photo"

We can probably find this for just about any unit sold in the USA?! Especially any of the ones with bluetooth or other wireless connectivity like Wifi..
« Last Edit: January 17, 2020, 01:34:06 AM by morst »
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #95 on: January 19, 2020, 03:10:36 AM »

Mine takes maybe 30 seconds to start up.  I strongly suspect this is due to having a couple of thousand files on the SD card and it may be reindexing them each time.  If I take the card out, the same thing happens, but if I then boot up again (with it now having reindexed itself with no card) it comes on immediately.  Replace the card, boot up, and it takes a while as it rediscovers the card and its contents.  Moral - for serious use, it might be best not to have loads of files on the SD card.

Offline morst

« Reply #96 on: January 19, 2020, 05:21:20 PM »
I was using the internal mic the other night at a very loud show and the A10 limiter was on. I adjusted the volume from 3 up to 6, and you can see the steps. Measuring the peaks of each section, I notice that they are spaced almost precisely 1.5 dB apart.
I thought that was interesting.

Offline nulldogmas

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • How I Escaped My Uncertain Fate
« Reply #97 on: January 29, 2020, 11:31:37 AM »
The sound mic in is very  solid. Ran for a set the other night. A keeper.

Is there any difference between mic in and audio in, other than the gain? (And option for PIP.) I'm assuming it goes through the same electronics, since it's all one input.

Offline alanisrox69

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #98 on: February 03, 2020, 12:37:04 AM »
Taped my 3rd show with the A10, first 2 went surprisingly well.

Coming from an R09HR.

I like that I can monitor the levels live and it’s small form factor.

Show 3 had an disappointing outcome. I set the level a little aggressively as the previous shows were set at 8, and the output was just about -12dB. I will say with the R09HR I usually had the level at 62 and got maybe up to -4dB and possibly sometimes “clipped” if there was a loud clapper or something near me, but never experienced any issues with the clipped audio in post processing. I just reduced the amp/normalized and all was well in the world.

Anyway, A10, I had very very very minor clips during my 3rd show and they sound HORRIBLE, screeching noise and just terrible. Tried to reduce the amp, normalize, used Declip in Audacity. Can’t get them to sound good. This is so weird, how can such a mild clip sound so bad? I’ve never had this issue with the R09HR. Is the A10 A-D converter that bad at clipped input audio?

This is rather worrisome. Sure I can reduce the record level on the fly with my phone but who wants to look at it constantly? With the R09HR I set it and forgot it. If it clipped, never had any issues.

Any input?

Offline vantheman

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #99 on: February 03, 2020, 01:44:25 AM »
Anyway, A10, I had very very very minor clips during my 3rd show and they sound HORRIBLE, screeching noise and just terrible. Tried to reduce the amp, normalize, used Declip in Audacity. Can’t get them to sound good. This is so weird, how can such a mild clip sound so bad? I’ve never had this issue with the R09HR. Is the A10 A-D converter that bad at clipped input audio?

I had some very minor clipping during night 1 Van Morrison in Vegas Friday. I can share the song with the clipping if you want when I get back home. I spot checked it and it seems OK.

FWIW I wrote to Sound Pros about my setup - their modded AT U853s with 12v battery box. They told me to use line in and not mic in, so that’s what I’ve been doing.

Also, no issues with the walkthroughs at the Colosseum at Caesars Palace. If the A10 can get past that I guess it can get past anything.

Offline nulldogmas

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • How I Escaped My Uncertain Fate
« Reply #100 on: February 03, 2020, 01:50:07 AM »

This is rather worrisome. Sure I can reduce the record level on the fly with my phone but who wants to look at it constantly? With the R09HR I set it and forgot it. If it clipped, never had any issues.

Any input?

Did you have the limiter turned on? That's what I've always used as a safeguard against clipping (on both M10 and A10), and it's served me well.

Offline alanisrox69

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #101 on: February 03, 2020, 02:26:50 AM »

Any input?

Did you have the limiter turned on? That's what I've always used as a safeguard against clipping (on both M10 and A10), and it's served me well.

I didn’t.

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • If you ain't right, you better get right!
    • The Mudboy Grotto - North Mississippi Allstar fan site
Sony PCM-A10 (Part 2)
« Reply #102 on: February 03, 2020, 07:32:44 AM »
If you were running at -12dB, why did you change your setup? If you are running 24 bit, that is a fine shoot to be.
If you have a problem relating to the Live Music Archive (http://www.archive.org/details/etree) please send an e-mail to us admins at LMA(AT)archive(DOT)org or post in the LMA thread here and we'll get on it.

Link to LMA Recordings

Link to Team Dirty South Recordings on the LMA

Mics: Microtech Gefell M21 (with Nbob actives) | Church Audio CA-11 (cards) (with CA UBB)
Pres: babynbox
Recorders: Tascam DR-60D | Tascam DR-40 | Sony PCM-A10 | Edirol R-4

Offline alanisrox69

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #103 on: February 03, 2020, 11:44:48 AM »
If you were running at -12dB, why did you change your setup? If you are running 24 bit, that is a fine shoot to be.

Just wanted to run the gamut on this new deck. Been using the R09HR for 10(?) plus years. Was doing 24/96, this is pretty bad if you clip on the A10 and you get noise like that. 24/96 should have no problem with clipping.

Offline morst

« Reply #104 on: February 03, 2020, 02:20:49 PM »
I tried the A10 without the limiter and it makes bad sounding peaks. With the limiter 0dB peaks don't sound bad at all.
For the record, I've run my M10 with limiter for about ten years.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.075 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com