Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Is There A Way Of Calculating A Ratio of Quality Lost (FLAC vs mp3C)?  (Read 9875 times)

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Needs to get out more...
I'm in no means doubting you, because I am most certainly not an audiophile.  But I am curious as to what differences there are?  As we talked about, when you convert the file, it destroys "unnecessary," data, so I'm curious what that does to the sound.

Again, I don't mean this in an attacking way.  I'm really just curious.

Sharp fatiguing highs, flat lows, a perceptible amount of digital fuzz over prolonged listening and most certainly a smaller dynamic range.   As has been stated for years, load up an mp3 and FLAC from an original source and compare them in your audio editor of choice.  Use the spectrum analyzer or similar feature.   

Just because you or boojum may not hear the differences doesn't mean that they are not there.   

Offline Will_S

• Trade Count: (15)
So because two people couldn't hear the difference that means the rest of the world can't either?

boojum are you a skeptic about everything unless it's in a book somewhere?

I'm in no means doubting you, because I am most certainly not an audiophile.  But I am curious as to what differences there are?  As we talked about, when you convert the file, it destroys "unnecessary," data, so I'm curious what that does to the sound.

Again, I don't mean this in an attacking way.  I'm really just curious.

I don't think anyone said the mp3 process destroys unnecessary data.  Rather, a lot of the data it takes out is redundant data that can be recreated perfectly, same as FLAC.  But to get the files even smaller (and lossless compression typically does not get down to 320 kbps) nonredundant information needs to get taken out as well.  How audible this is is debatable, and obviously how audible it will be depends on how much information is taken out and how clever the filters are about what information they take away.

That said, it's far more than just two people who have made very confident statements they can hear differences only to completely fail to do so in blind testing.  So, I always take "sighted" reports of audible differences with a grain of salt.  Expectation bias is a strong thing.  Especially when one's mind has been poisoned against the very idea of lossy compression by the first generation of 128 kbps mp3s, which I'd agree have the characteristics OFOTD names.  But a well encoded 320 kbps mp3 is a different beast entirely.  Some folks may hear a difference, but I'm unaware of anyone who has proven the ability to do so in a blind test.  Maybe it's happened, if so I'd love to hear about it.

Offline SmokinJoe

• Trade Count: (63)
  • "75 and sunny"... life is so much simpler.
    • uploads to archive.org
I'll ask the stupid question....

My general method for making MP3s is a command line "lame --preset extreme" as shown below.  I've wondered... does this line below mean it's discarding the information above 19,xxx hertz?  If so... that's fine because my 46 year old ears can't hear that on any system I have (typically earbuds on an iRiver). 

The question in my mind is this... does it imply that it keeps what's below that?

G:\tunes\ice_storm>lame --preset extreme ice_storm_2008-12-12_sample1.wav
LAME 3.97 (beta 2, Jan 24 2006) 32bits (http://www.mp3dev.org/)
Using polyphase lowpass filter, transition band: 19383 Hz - 19916 Hz
Encoding ice_storm_2008-12-12_sample1.wav
      to ice_storm_2008-12-12_sample1.wav.mp3
Encoding as 44.1 kHz VBR(q=0) j-stereo MPEG-1 Layer III (ca. 5.7x) qval=3
    Frame          |  CPU time/estim | REAL time/estim | play/CPU |    ETA
   423/423   (100%)|    0:01/    0:01|    0:02/    0:02|   8.9472x|    0:00
 32 [  1] *
 40 [  0]
 48 [  0]
 56 [  0]
 64 [  0]
 80 [  0]
 96 [  0]
112 [  0]
128 [  0]
160 [  1] %
192 [  0]
224 [ 73] %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
256 [155] %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
320 [193] %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   kbps        LR    MS  %     long switch short %
  278.9       99.8   0.2        90.3   5.4   4.3
Writing LAME Tag...done
ReplayGain: +0.3dB

(by the way... the above sample is sound from a winter time ice storm... lots of ice/rain drops.... hence the high frequency side of the scale.  Regular music tends to bunch up a little lower, maybe 224 and 256, but those 19,xxx limits seem to be the same).
« Last Edit: May 05, 2010, 04:38:01 PM by SmokinJoe »
Mics: Schoeps MK4 & CMC5's / Gefell M200's & M210's / ADK-TL / DPA4061's
Pres: V3 / ST9100
Decks: Oade Concert Mod R4Pro / R09 / R05
Photo: Nikon D700's, 2.8 Zooms, and Zeiss primes
Playback: Raspberry Pi > Modi2 Uber > Magni2 > HD650

Online Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
The question in my mind is this... does it imply that it keeps what's below that?

Not neccessarily..

It seems the encoder you are using low passes the signal first before doing any other processing, and that low pass filter has a transition band between 19383 - 19916Hz.
The transition band is the sloped part of the frequency range beween the corner frequency (which is where the filter starts working) and the stop band (which is were the cut-off is essentially complete).

That part is pretty simple in audio terms.

The complicated part is all the stuff that happens after that.  MP3 and other lossy compression formats use perceptual encoding which means that the information they choose to discard after that simple low pass filter are things that the codec creators have decided humans don't hear well.  There lies the fuzzy art of perceptual encoding.  It does more than this but as an example: if there is a quiet sound that happens simultaneously with a loud sound, then the loud sound will tend to mask the quiet sound, so the quiet sound is thrown away.. hopefully without a human noticing.  MP3 is specifically tailored to the way humans hear.  It may not work as well for other animals.

So it does not keep everything below the low pass frquency, but is clever about what it decides to discard.

I'm sure there are much better descriptions of how the process works, but at least that should give you a basic idea of part of what is going on.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2010, 05:33:58 PM by Gutbucket »
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
The tough thing about the direction of this kind of thread is that it ends up like cable threads.  I hear it, no I don't hear it, maybe I hear it..........  blind test, multiple file, double blind......... this testing method, that testing method,......  this book says, that book says.....

To the OP do you hear a difference?  What do you listen back on?   How long do you listen for at a time usually?

Then the question becomes can you tell a difference between different quality playback devices. 

MP3 at whatever bitrate may be perfect for folks others not so much.  Everyone has a different perception of not only what they hear but how much they do or don't care for the intricacies of their source material.

Offline boojum

• Trade Count: (1)
So because two people couldn't hear the difference that means the rest of the world can't either?

boojum are you a skeptic about everything unless it's in a book somewhere?

Just show me the evidence.  One test is worth a thousand opinions.  I have been down these roads and heard this stuff way longer than you.  That is why I am a skeptic.   ;o)  I have for 55 years heard the stories of Golden Ears and super gear again and again.  It is not impossible, but I am a skeptic.  Listening to your set one time with FLAC/WAV files and the MP3's is not a test.  When someone else plays unknown files for you, on your set if you wish, in an order neither of you know which is which in, that is a test.  And yes, I believe published data way more than the anecdotal BS that floats around unsubstantiated. 

Prove me wrong.  Take a double blind test with a witness and let us see the results.  That would be fair, wouldn't it?    ;o)  You see, it is just that I have heard this stuff for decades but rarely have I seen it pass the rigorous test.  You do not have to believe what I believe but I have the right to believe it and support it.  And if you have a reason that anecdotal evidence is better than rigorous testing, tell us about it.
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Use the spectrum analyzer or similar feature.   

Just because you or boojum may not hear the differences doesn't mean that they are not there.   

I tend to agree with Boojum. I don't save files in 320 mp3, but I sometimes make a Hi-MD recording in Hi-SP mode to avoid a disc change (which I think uses as much data a 256 mp3) and I absolutely hear no difference with great headphones. The argument wasn't about whether there was a difference-it was about whether you could hear a difference. There's a big difference between being able to see a difference in a spectrum analyzer and being able to hear it.

I realize OFOTD would be incensed by this because he once lambasted me for saying I preferred to record at 24/44.1 with a Korg MR-1 instead of using up disc space with DSD, but this is a hobby and we should all do what we are comfortable with.
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
but this is a hobby and we should all do what we are comfortable with.

You are totally right with that statement.

For someone though to tell another person what they do or do not hear is just ridiculous.   Just because boojum cant hear the difference doesn't 1. mean it's not there and 2. that person a or b also can't.   

Offline Will_S

• Trade Count: (15)
Agreed.  So long as people think they can hear a difference, they'll experience more enjoyment listening to the one they think sounds better, regardless of how they would perform in a blind test.  More power to them.

Offline boojum

• Trade Count: (1)
but this is a hobby and we should all do what we are comfortable with.

You are totally right with that statement.

For someone though to tell another person what they do or do not hear is just ridiculous.   Just because boojum cant hear the difference doesn't 1. mean it's not there and 2. that person a or b also can't.   

Wrong, again.   I never said what I could or could not hear.  I merely pointed out the results of what others have tested.  The difference between anecdotal and test.

Not all MP3 files are the same.  This is not WAV or FLAC.  Older MP3 files at 128 were crap.  The recent releases of LAME, above 3.8, are pretty bullet proof, as has been shown by people on this board.  I really suggest you take a good test of the recent LAME release, 3.98, at the higher rates, I like V2, and see how it sounds before you say it does not work and that a difference can be heard.  This is just an idea.  You need not follow it.
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
before you say it does not work and that a difference can be heard.  This is just an idea.  You need not follow it.

Again who are you to tell a person what they can and cannot hear? 

I am 100% comfortable with my ears and the playback I use to determine what I do and do not hear.   In the end no matter what you may think mp3's be them 128 or 320 ARE lossy compression schemes even with the newer schemes.   This I believe has been proven earlier in the post quite well already.   

As I have previously stated with how I hear the difference in mp3's for me a test is pretty easy to pick out the inferior source.  Bass response is a quick way to tell. 

So what you're trying to prove boojum is what you hear and what you read and how it relates to what others may or may not hear.   You've used a similar line of attack in the cable threads as you believe them to be snake oil.  Agree to disagree because I can't make you hear a difference in cables but they are there.  Same with mp3's vs. FLAC.  I can't make you hear anything you seem predisposed to not hearing anyways.   So a debate with you on this subject is really pointless because you are not either able or willing to to see another side and rely solely on a double blind test method to be the only way to tell.   That's your limitation in your thinking not mine.

We could have 100 people here say 'Yes I hear a difference' but that wouldn't matter to you as you are firmly in the camp that can't tell a difference.   What can someone who clearly hears something do to convince you that they can hear it?   

Additionally who is to say that in the future that a lossy compression scheme couldn't rival a lossless scheme.  I won't go that far but as of May 6th, 2010 I believe that I can tell a difference.  YMMV though.

kirk97132

• Trade Count: (0)
So what you're trying to prove boojum is what you hear and what you read and how it relates to what others may or may not hear.
 You've used a similar line of attack in the cable threads as you believe them to be snake oil. 
QFT.  (unfortunately)   

"Just because you can't see the wind does that mean it's not there"?

The OP's wording of " Anyone have any idea what kind of quality you actually lose when converting from FLAC to 320kbps?"  Leaves the door open for a lot of ambiguity.  What does quality actually mean?  Possibly a better way to word this would be to replace quality with information.   But to ask what quality is like asking what is good......or bad for that matter.   Another question could also be what are the average losses in hearing at ten year intervals?  And across what frequencies do they occur?  Then add in the variable of what circumstances accelerate hearing degeneration IE: loud work environments like production shop, Military service, loud music exposure etc.  So it could be that the older a person is the less accurate the information they hear.  The less accurate the information the more likely to incur a biased perception.  Just because you believe it does not make it right.

« Last Edit: May 06, 2010, 02:07:18 PM by kirkd »

Offline setboy

• Trade Count: (5)
You upload a tape online (etree, whatever).  Are you okay with people distributing in FLAC? 

Why would i not be ok with that?

Offline DMBprez

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Focused
You upload a tape online (etree, whatever).  Are you okay with people distributing in FLAC? 

I meant mp3

Offline setboy

• Trade Count: (5)

I meant mp3

Yes, that makes more sense now. I would rather people not do other than the archive, but in the end i have the masters and what ever people do with it is what they do with it

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.202 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com