Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: DAT transfer to CDR  (Read 8097 times)

Offline Cooker

• Local Crew
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re:DAT transfer to CDR
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2004, 02:59:11 PM »
i have a behringer src1000 ( i think that's the model number) sample rate converter that can take aes, cox and optical in, and split it out to all 3 outputs, at 44.1K. resamples everything from 22-96K and spits out 44.1 - and strips SCMS. I'll sell it to you if you want, this may be an easy solution for you. PM me if you are interested.

Offline Mark

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2004, 03:03:05 PM »
Please send me a PM with all the info.

Offline Mark

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2004, 07:05:32 PM »
Did an analog transfer of the DA-20 to the Philips CDR and it worked out well.  Still looking into what the Philips accepts and if it truely only is 44.1.  I am going to set up my mics>pre>dat and see if the philips will accept what I record.  Also, went to an electronics chain store Circ**t C**y and asked what their stand alone burners digital input accepts for a sample rate, and the salesboy nor his manager could answer my question.  Going to call Philips again tomorrow to ask.  I feel I shouldn't be charged since it is not in the manual and not really a tech support question.  We shall see.  I'll post more as I learn more.

Offline John R

• Trade Count: (2)
    • www.tapers.org
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2004, 07:47:28 PM »
mark, how about running the ua5 right into the phillips and record right to cd?

jr
we all live downstream.

Offline Mark

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2004, 08:50:18 PM »
John, I haven't tried this.  
Please explain this to me...........Tascam DAT>UA-5 via digital cable (with setting at 44.1).  Then UA-5>Philips via Digital coax.  Is this what you are suggesting?

How would this override the 48kHz>44.1?

I am assuming that the Philips only accepts a 44.1 rate.

Offline Mark

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2004, 08:52:34 PM »
Sorry Moke, too lazy to read the rules of this board and if I can post corporate names with a slam.  lol.  I only went there since I know they use to sell Philips, and it was on my way home from work to the booze shop.  Had to pick up my his & hers Vodka (regular and Citrus for the wife).  They were clueless, which wasn't a surprise.

Online Gordon

• Trade Count: (22)
    • my list
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2004, 08:54:54 PM »
I had a philliaps a few years ago.  it sucked ass.  it will not clone if the dat is at 48.  you have to go rca in.  if it is at 44 it will (I think, it's been a while)  anyway it was a piece of shit.  take it back and if you are gonna use a standalone get a tascam or hhb.
Microtech Gefell M20 or M21 > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II @ 32/48

https://archive.org/details/fav-gordonlw

https://archive.org/details/teamdirtysouth

Offline John R

• www.tapers.org
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2004, 09:08:52 PM »
John, I haven't tried this.  
Please explain this to me...........Tascam DAT>UA-5 via digital cable (with setting at 44.1).  Then UA-5>Philips via Digital coax.  Is this what you are suggesting?

How would this override the 48kHz>44.1?

I am assuming that the Philips only accepts a 44.1 rate.

make the recording directly onto the cdr.  mics>pre>phillips to see if it takes.  try 44.1 and 48.  like gordon said, basically you bought a consumer unit.  return it and get a tascam, hhb, or one of the sony's.

jr
we all live downstream.

Online Gordon

• Trade Count: (22)
    • my list
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2004, 09:25:17 PM »

like gordon said, basically you bought a consumer unit.  return it and get a tascam, hhb, or one of the sony's.

jr

I had a lower end sony consumer one.  it sucked worse than the philliaps.  it would put track marks in when ever there was silince or low vol.  the first show I did on it was a cowboy junkies show which began with Margo talking.  my first track ended up being 10 tracks or so.  you could not trun this off.  I took it back after a day and got a TDK that worked well unitll I got a new computer and audiophile.

Microtech Gefell M20 or M21 > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II @ 32/48

https://archive.org/details/fav-gordonlw

https://archive.org/details/teamdirtysouth

Offline John R

• www.tapers.org
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2004, 09:27:25 PM »

like gordon said, basically you bought a consumer unit.  return it and get a tascam, hhb, or one of the sony's.

jr

I had a lower end sony consumer one.  it sucked worse than the philliaps.  it would put track marks in when ever there was silince or low vol.  the first show I did on it was a cowboy junkies show which began with Margo talking.  my first track ended up being 10 tracks or so.  you could not trun this off.  I took it back after a day and got a TDK that worked well unitll I got a new computer and audiophile.

should have said cdrw33.  definitely not a sony consumer unit.

jr
we all live downstream.

Offline Mark

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2004, 06:50:59 AM »
Unfortunately the Philips was purchased over 3 yeards ago.  It served it's purpose while I had it, and treated me well.  Finally upgraded to the DA-20 so I got the bright idea to do true digital transfers.  Working the bugs out is all I suppose.  Live and learn.  I will post what I find out, going to play tonight.

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2004, 11:02:46 AM »
Most of the Phillips CDRs do not have SRC (Sample Rate Converter) built in them. You will probably have to use another piece of equipment to convert the 48kHz to 44.1kHz. The best thing to do is try and record just you talking for a few seconds on the end of a tape in 44.1kHz. Try and transfer that to the Phillips and see if it will recognize that signal. If not, the input is not functioning properly.
Hope this helps...
Brad K.

This sounds hard to believe to me.  I had and still have one of Philips earliest CD burners, the cdr870.  I also had for awhile and sold a Marantz pro burner (cd630??) that was made for marantz by Philips.  Both had sample rate converters built in.  It seems to me to be a pretty important basic function, and seems odd that Philips would have chosen to delete the SRC function on later models.

Both of these burners had a switch to choose analog input, digital coax input, or digital optical input.  Be sure you've chosen the digital coax input.  Also, the Philips deck automatically reclock every signal to 44.1k, including both incoming 44.1k signals and 48k signals.  The Marantz unit had a choice for the re-clocking option and also had an option for a 44.1k direct mode (as someone mentioned) that would not reclock a 44.1k stream, but wouldn't recognize a 48k stream.  Be sure not to use this direct mode if you are sending a 48k stream.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline Mark

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2004, 01:04:42 PM »
I am definately sending a 48k stream from the DA-20.  My Philiips is a CDR775 if that helps.  I made sure my EXT Source was set to Digital Coax.  I am not aware of (yet) how to chage the re-clocking option.  I am going to pass a 44.1 stream to it tonight to see if the Philips recognizes that.  

I have 5 different record modes, and set mine on Manual.  

When I ran a 48k stream via analog, the Philips had no trouble, it is via digital that I am having the problem of not getting any signal/levels.

Offline Stumptown Matt

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a happy tapir!
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2004, 04:02:09 PM »
[quote author=Mark link=board=23;threadid=15155;start=30#msg190350 date=1078941882  

When I ran a 48k stream via analog, the Philips had no trouble, it is via digital that I am having the problem of not getting any signal/levels.

When sending an analog signal it will not matter what sample rate you used.  Sample rate will only matter when transfering using a digital signal. Hook the UA-5 up to the CDR with a coax digi or optical digi cable and set the sample rate to 48.  Try to record.  If it does not work try it at 44.1.  If it records then you have found your problem and you will need an external downsampling device.
When cleaning out her attic, Grace found several bootleg recordings her mother had made while traveling around the world with the Grateful Dead. Grace is not permitted to sell these bootleg recordings on eBay.

"If you like the Beach Boys, you'll love Widespread Panic."    -Big Mike

"Music Sounds Better on Grass" -Clear Channel advertising

Offline bkirby

• Taperssection Member
  • Schoeps/MGs > M148/248 > SD722
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2004, 04:07:53 PM »
Most of the Phillips CDRs do not have SRC (Sample Rate Converter) built in them. You will probably have to use another piece of equipment to convert the 48kHz to 44.1kHz. The best thing to do is try and record just you talking for a few seconds on the end of a tape in 44.1kHz. Try and transfer that to the Phillips and see if it will recognize that signal. If not, the input is not functioning properly.
Hope this helps...
Brad K.

This sounds hard to believe to me.  I had and still have one of Philips earliest CD burners, the cdr870.  I also had for awhile and sold a Marantz pro burner (cd630??) that was made for marantz by Philips.  Both had sample rate converters built in.  It seems to me to be a pretty important basic function, and seems odd that Philips would have chosen to delete the SRC function on later models.

Both of these burners had a switch to choose analog input, digital coax input, or digital optical input.  Be sure you've chosen the digital coax input.  Also, the Philips deck automatically reclock every signal to 44.1k, including both incoming 44.1k signals and 48k signals.  The Marantz unit had a choice for the re-clocking option and also had an option for a 44.1k direct mode (as someone mentioned) that would not reclock a 44.1k stream, but wouldn't recognize a 48k stream.  Be sure not to use this direct mode if you are sending a 48k stream.
    Guess I should have stated "most" Philips burners do't have SRC. Just stating problems we had with two Philips burners (different model #s) that friends  had owned a few years back (wish I could remember the model numbers). After many different trials, we finally contacted Philips about this and they said that the two burners that friends owned did not have built in SRC. Apparently, some of their models did, and some didn't. If I remember correctly, all of our problems occured in about 1999. I have no idea where Mark's model fits in. Upon asking Philips about this (back then), they said if it does not say anthing about SRC in the original manual, it was not included. I have no idea if they all have them now. As far as the pro Marantz burner goes, all "pro" burners that I have heard of have built-in SRC (of course, there may be exceptions I don't know about from years back).
     As far as running an analog signal out and then back into the burner by analog inputs, of course the internal AD will set it directly to 44.1kHz.
     I will try and do more research about the Philips burner's model numbers and see what I can find. Seems like something like this should be stated somewhere in the FAQ section for future questions...
Brad K.
P.S. Happy belated B-day Todd...
« Last Edit: March 10, 2004, 04:17:46 PM by bkirby »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.268 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com