Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Batteries are killing me...  (Read 8441 times)

Offline macroint

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • Jeff's List
Batteries are killing me...
« on: November 24, 2004, 06:51:51 PM »
I'm new to taping, started in the beginning of October and I do 2-3 shows a week. Most times I just go for the opening band and leave. Other times I stay for everything. All of my recordings when I've taped just the opening band are great. When I've taped opener and headliner, all the openers are great...and ALL of the headliners had battery failure in the second set! The AD-20 sucks 9v's dry and the phantom power is only slightly less greedy. For the openers, I used fresh 9v's (sometimes rechargeables, sometimes Energizers). In the beginning, I didn't change my batteries much for the headliner (wasn't aware that was the problem), but now I put a fresh 9v in for each set, though I usually have to replace the AD-20 battery late into the second set (second sets being longer than first sets).

I don't have a battery pack, primarily because I have enough crap to carry around without adding more. I've ordered a couple of dozen ultralife lithium's to use in combination with rechargeables...I don't really have a question, just wanted others to feel my pain.
Peluso CEMC6>PS-2>AD-20>NJB3

SUPPORT LOCAL MUSIC
http://baltimore-taper.blogspot.com

jpschust

Re: Batteries are killing me...
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2004, 06:57:50 PM »
dude invest in some rechargables.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2004, 06:59:03 PM »
Order a small 9.6v RC battery and charger, affix the battery to the side of the AD-20, give it two outputs - one for AD-20, one for your phantom box - and you're all set.  Seems to me carrying around a small battery is well worth the hassle of not losing juice during a headliner.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline dnsacks

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2004, 07:00:45 PM »
specifically the 9volt walmart lithium ion battery pack talked about ad-nauseum.  It's real small and light and will power both your ps2 and ad20 for a REALLY LONG time.  Battery problems suck and will continue to suck if you continue to rely on internal 9v batteries for your ps2 and ad20 --

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2004, 07:02:31 PM »
specifically the 9volt walmart lithium ion battery pack talked about ad-nauseum.

I take it back.  Skip the RC batt and get the Lion batt Mr. Sacks references.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline firmdragon

• Taperssection All-Star
    • taping blog
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2004, 07:18:01 PM »
i feel your pain.  i recently felt the battery screen of death.  good thing i brought extras and only missed 7 or so mins.

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2004, 07:18:36 PM »
specifically the 9volt walmart lithium ion battery pack talked about ad-nauseum.

I take it back.  Skip the RC batt and get the Lion batt Mr. Sacks references.

This is good advice.
Plus, you'll save monoey in the long run and be able to pull tapes for the openier and headliner.
It's a no brainer.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline admkrk

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm an idiot
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2004, 07:57:59 PM »
last show i taped - 3 bands  - 2 stages.  these guys were killing me.  had just enough time to swing the stand around to the other stage and off they went(OK, they dicked around a bit before accualy starting, but hwitk?).     battts were running dry, tape was running out, wtf. i got lucky, they took a break at just the right time, and gave me just enough time to switch and power back up.  all i can say is, somebody wanted that tape! 

bottom line, be prepared!
"the faster you go ahead, the behinder you get"

"If you can drink ram's piss, fuck, you can drink anything"

Offline tfrench

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • My Music Trading List
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2004, 11:35:23 PM »
specifically the 9volt walmart lithium ion battery pack talked about ad-nauseum.  It's real small and light and will power both your ps2 and ad20 for a REALLY LONG time.  Battery problems suck and will continue to suck if you continue to rely on internal 9v batteries for your ps2 and ad20 --

Ok this has my interest.  I have the 9V/5400mAh battery mentioned above.  I use it to power my Hosa ODL-276.  How can I use this with my
PS-2 and AD-20?  Do I need a special cable?  Any assisance with gettting this setup would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Todd
I'm a taper,one of the most well adapted and well prepared species known to exist on the planet,even the boy scouts ain't got shit on us....Mark S.

Recording Gear:
AKG 460b (ck63, ck1 or mk46/ck1x/ck3x) > FR2-LE (24/48)

ISO: AKG ck2x, CK22, CK2, CK3

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2004, 12:10:23 AM »

Ok this has my interest.  I have the 9V/5400mAh battery mentioned above.  I use it to power my Hosa ODL-276.  How can I use this with my
PS-2 and AD-20?  Do I need a special cable?  Any assisance with gettting this setup would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Todd

The PS-2 has a 3.5 mm jack that accepts 9v DC. Not sure about the AD-20. You just have to split the 9v output on the LiIon battery to power more than 1 device. The plug you need should be easily found at Radio Shack.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline tfrench

• Taperssection All-Star
    • My Music Trading List
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2004, 08:07:19 AM »
Calico, exactly the place I was planning on visiting.  Just wanted to make sure I had the cabel numbers.  I'll have to check tomorrow in the after turkey day madness.

Thanks, Todd
I'm a taper,one of the most well adapted and well prepared species known to exist on the planet,even the boy scouts ain't got shit on us....Mark S.

Recording Gear:

Offline caymanreview

• Trade Count: (22)
    • shows ive taped  that are in circulation
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2004, 08:12:07 AM »
im not sure about the cable numbers. but i powered my ps2 on a rc pack using the 3.5mm power jack (basically a 1/8" mono jack)

Offline keepongoin

« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2004, 11:02:00 AM »
all you need to do is use an adaptaplug end for the 3.5 mm end.  You can buy an adaptaplug splitter that can power both units.  I use 3000 mAh battery packs (NiMH)... I have 6 of them, and they powered the PS2 and AD20 for over 72 hours.  If you make your power cord with parallel power input, too, you can swap out batteries without losing power.
“When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross.” Sinclair Lewis: How Fascism Will Come To America (1935)

"Science is facts; just as houses are made of stones, so is science made of facts; but a pile of stones is not a house and a collection of facts is not necessarily science."- Henri Poincare

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/pierce

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2004, 04:30:24 PM »

Thanks,
Todd

wow, a 5400mah battery just to power the odl-276? that crazy, that battery could power it for like 350 hrs or something crazy
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline tfrench

• Taperssection All-Star
    • My Music Trading List
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2004, 11:09:39 PM »
 ;D I know....got it with my Hosa purchase from Tim/Phishintime..........never have to worry about that piece looking power!

Recording Gear:

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.095 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com