Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Stealth Recording: Core Sounds CSBMod v/s SP-ISI-SEHM-1  (Read 3232 times)

Offline Villarelo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Stealth Recording: Core Sounds CSBMod v/s SP-ISI-SEHM-1
« on: February 19, 2007, 03:31:13 PM »
HI!,
     I'm looking for a new pair of stereo mics... I'm tired of the flat response, mostly noise recording that I'm getting from my cheap retail pair. I've been reading about and found that the Core Sounds Binaural (http://www.core-sound.com/mics/1.php) are very popular and some users are really happy with its performance. I've heard some recording and think that they are great especially for mid-size venues (~5.000 to 10.000 people), any comment for them used for recording loud music on mid/high venues from 50 to 80 feets of music source?.

I also check some mics in Sound-Professionals and really liked a pair that are mounted on a "over-ear" support, the mics lay over your ear (not inside them) so you can make a really nice stealth recording, please check them (http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/item/ISI-SEHM-1). My big problem with them is that I can order it with many kind of mics, discarding the cheap ones, I'm curious if any of you know anything about these:

- Deluxe Audio Technica Cardioid (AT831)
- Premium Audio Technica Slimline Omni-Directional
- Premium Audio Technica Slimline Sub-Cardioid
- Premium Audio Technica Slimline Cardioid
- Premium Audio Technica Slimline Hyper-Cardioid

I don't know anything about them. They only say that "The Premium Audio Technica slimline series available are comparable to the AT853's, but much smaller.", I heard good recording made with AT853 but thats all, hopefully some of you can help me with the AT831.
     I think that the CSB are a really secure option but the mounting of the sound professionals are PERFECT, I only have doubs about the mics (which is the Biiig question after all :'( ).

THX!

Offline poorlyconditioned

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
Re: Stealth Recording: Core Sounds CSBMod v/s SP-ISI-SEHM-1
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2007, 03:41:03 PM »
HI!,
     I'm looking for a new pair of stereo mics... I'm tired of the flat response, mostly noise recording that I'm getting from my cheap retail pair. I've been reading about and found that the Core Sounds Binaural (http://www.core-sound.com/mics/1.php) are very popular and some users are really happy with its performance. I've heard some recording and think that they are great especially for mid-size venues (~5.000 to 10.000 people), any comment for them used for recording loud music on mid/high venues from 50 to 80 feets of music source?.

I also check some mics in Sound-Professionals and really liked a pair that are mounted on a "over-ear" support, the mics lay over your ear (not inside them) so you can make a really nice stealth recording, please check them (http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/item/ISI-SEHM-1). My big problem with them is that I can order it with many kind of mics, discarding the cheap ones, I'm curious if any of you know anything about these:

- Deluxe Audio Technica Cardioid (AT831)
- Premium Audio Technica Slimline Omni-Directional
- Premium Audio Technica Slimline Sub-Cardioid
- Premium Audio Technica Slimline Cardioid
- Premium Audio Technica Slimline Hyper-Cardioid

I don't know anything about them. They only say that "The Premium Audio Technica slimline series available are comparable to the AT853's, but much smaller.", I heard good recording made with AT853 but thats all, hopefully some of you can help me with the AT831.
     I think that the CSB are a really secure option but the mounting of the sound professionals are PERFECT, I only have doubs about the mics (which is the Biiig question after all :'( ).

THX!

Don't buy CSBs, they are cheap overpriced elements.  Get either the AT or Chris Church cardioids.  Cardioids (directional) are better for large venues, and those mics will sound better than the CSBs.

Between the Church cards and the AT mics, there are tradeoffs.  Church's mics are fixed cardioids, but will tolerate loud volumes.  AT mics have interchangeable caps, but will not (directly) handle large volumes (without modifications of some sort).  I suggest for someone starting out to get Church cards + his battery box/preamp.  See the Yardsale for a good price on this.

Oh yeah, what are you recording into, that determines whether you need a preamp or not.

Is this stuff in the FAQ?  I have not looked lately. :P

Richard
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440
Recorders: Edirol R4, R09, IBM X24 laptop, NJB3(x2), HiMD(x2), MD(1).
** This individual has moved to user "illconditioned" **

Offline Villarelo

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2007, 04:31:16 PM »
Thanks for the info Richard, I'll check in the Yardsale section what I find about the Chris Church cardioids, Do you know if they could be mounted as the SP are (over-ear).
Anyway could be great if anyone could share his/her opinion about the AT831 and the Premium Audio Technica Slimline.

Sorry, I forget to comment that I use an Iriver H120 (RockBox'ed ;D ) so I need the preamp...

EDIT: I saw in the Yardsale section that user Church-Audio just sold a pair of AT831, maybe he could help me to find the best option between AT831 and Chris Church cardioids for my type of recording?
« Last Edit: February 19, 2007, 05:02:10 PM by villarelo »

Offline Gawain

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2007, 06:48:50 PM »
If someone can help about 'Chris Church cardioids' that's user 'Church-Audio' :) His mics seem to have very good quality, more loved here than the 831's, as far as I've read.

Btw, Chris, I'm also interested: can you mount your cardioids in that way (over-ear)? and how about the way the SP-TFB-2 are mounted (in-ear)

Offline Villarelo

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2007, 09:09:28 AM »
Btw, Chris, I'm also interested: can you mount your cardioids in that way (over-ear)? and how about the way the SP-TFB-2 are mounted (in-ear)

Would be great if there is an over-ear mounting option for the Church-Audio cardioids. About the in-ear configuration, I've heard that you should mount the mics very near the ear rather than in it, as the ear canal has resonances that color the sound.

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2007, 12:41:52 PM »
If someone can help about 'Chris Church cardioids' that's user 'Church-Audio' :) His mics seem to have very good quality, more loved here than the 831's, as far as I've read.

I can PM you with details :)
« Last Edit: February 20, 2007, 12:49:48 PM by Church-Audio »
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2007, 12:50:00 PM »

two minutes in the penalty box for speaking of the jedi ways.

There I fixed it :)
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline Gawain

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2007, 01:25:05 PM »
I can PM you with details :)
I can wait till that :)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.062 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com