Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Another topic begging for mic advice.. sorry  (Read 4504 times)

Offline ReverbReverse

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Re: Another topic begging for mic advice.. sorry
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2007, 05:09:34 PM »
So.. back from the field, and very grateful for all your advice. Here's how it went..

I've been recording about a dozen concerts in the meantime (i'm in the process of uploading them through sonicstage to my computer, and tentatively fiddling with re-equalizing and stuff.)

I went for the core sound cardioids, mainly out of habit (since i had been dealing with CS before) and also because of what you guys had been saying. In matters of bass reduction, I'm very happy with them. I never managed to get little enough bass before, and this time I get the point of those who say that there's too little of it - nothing that can't be re-eq'ed though. Not too much crowd noise anymore, and most of these tone-deaf "singing" morons didn't make it through the cardioid pick-up curve either. Also, since these mics are *really* tiny (much tinier than the other cardioids i was considering, and the exact same size as the CS binaurals) I didn't feel threatened by the fact I was standing first row most of the time, and some days straight in front of security ! Also, they give a much better feel of stereo and "space" in the recording than the binaurals, used the same way.

In other words I am VERY happy with the mics themselves. What I am NOT at all happy about, though, are the removable clips. I got them thinking they'd create less of a mechanical strain on the mics themselves while being smuggled into the venue (basically I'd remove them and thereby would make the mics tinier and then reassemble it all afterwards.) But what came out of it is that very often the clip would not hold on the mic any more, until the point that one of them got lost, and since I didn't have a spare one I had to make do with whatever I had at hand.. I ended taping both capsules together, so whatever "stereo" feel must have gotten lost in the last recordings, which is a shame.

Well.. that's it for the ramble. I'll post sound samples in a couple days when I'm done with them (in case anyone's interested that is) but I wanted to share my experience/experimentations back with you guys :)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.05 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com