Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: How to properly mic a guitar cabinet  (Read 7872 times)

Offline Chris K

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Bound to cover just a little more ground
Re: How to properly mic a guitar cabinet
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2011, 12:59:58 PM »
The 609/906 mics can't be beat for functionality. I love that they can fit anywhere and doesn't necessarily require a stand in most applications. But to me they sound *just alright.*  They are very much hyper cardioid which is a blessing and a curse, depending on which amplifier it's sitting in front of.  If anything they sound thin and wimpy to me.  But on a loud, crowded stage I don't think anything beats 'em.

All the reviews I read say basically the same thing about the 609...too much top end and not enough beef.

I have also read that the sm57 and 609 are pretty indestinguishable from each other...but I don't buy it.
My gear: JK Labs AKG DVC > M10
              AKG 460 ck61/ck62/ck63 > DR-70D

A live concert to me is exciting because of all the electricity that is generated in the crowd and on stage. It's my favorite part of the business, live concerts.
-Elvis Presley

Offline Chris K

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Bound to cover just a little more ground
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2011, 01:01:21 PM »
without giving our results, we were both surprised which we liked the most.

C'mon man, instant gratification!!!

ok, ok....AKG 460's sure do sound great!

Which capsule?
My gear: JK Labs AKG DVC > M10
              AKG 460 ck61/ck62/ck63 > DR-70D

A live concert to me is exciting because of all the electricity that is generated in the crowd and on stage. It's my favorite part of the business, live concerts.
-Elvis Presley

Offline rokpunk

• WOULD HIT IT
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2011, 01:03:21 PM »
if we have some downtime this week, we'll mic up that mesa duel rectum-fire rig, plus a fender twin and run a "real" test. we'll do the same with an acoustic guitar, unamplified. once we do all this, i'll post them in this thread,

if you do this then try to have all the mics on the cab at the same time and have the player play a riff/segment so the riff is uniform. Otherwise the differences in the players takes and styles can skew the results.

Could you throw in one of these Senn e609 or 906's as well? I have been eyeing a couple so I can just drape those senns over the cab so as not needing a stand or clamp for an sm57. There is a comp on Gearsluts with the Senns 406/609/906 (but alas no sm57 or 421) that can be found here:

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-much-gear-so-little-time/69350-sennheiser-409-609-906-audio-clips.html

thanks for the suggestion. yes, we can do it all from the same take so that the results all match each other. we can't use the avalon preamp if we do it this way, but we can run them all into a midas console and use the preamps on it. later this week we will get on this.
The new and improved taperssection.com....now with freedom of speech without the repercussion of -T's!

again, your showing your cluelessness.

Jah sitteth in Mount Zion
And rules all creation........

mfrench

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: How to properly mic a whole dang band!
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2011, 08:08:56 AM »

Offline rokpunk

• WOULD HIT IT
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2011, 12:48:41 PM »
thanks for the usefulness. you are always good for that.
The new and improved taperssection.com....now with freedom of speech without the repercussion of -T's!

again, your showing your cluelessness.

Jah sitteth in Mount Zion
And rules all creation........

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.041 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com