Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: AT853a picks up radio stations  (Read 2354 times)

Offline bcarrigg90

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
AT853a picks up radio stations
« on: November 26, 2013, 09:12:02 PM »
Hello all, I'm new to this forum so excuse me if this isn't the best section to ask this question.

I'm setting up to run sound for our Christmas program here at Cincinnati Christian University. I have a pair of AT853a's that I'm using for choir overheads. The issue I'm having is that one of them seems to be picking up radio stations. Does anyone have any experience with these mics? My first instinct is a bad ground connection, but I I've swapped cables and haven't been able to find any issues there. Could it be a problem with the power pack? It happens on both battery and phantom power.

Offline ArchivalAudio

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Teams Milab | MBHO | TeamVW:2011 Touareg TDI
Re: AT853a picks up radio stations
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2013, 02:55:13 AM »
FM interference can be caused by  a bad cable, or any audio or mic cable crossing a power cable .
Usually if you are using shielded cables - such as  the ones on the AT 853's it should be fine. 
ANYTIME a mic cable crosses over a power cable it should cross at 90° this should cut out the fm interferences.

You might include more information... are you hanging them above the stage? near lighting equipment? that could cause issues because of the relatively high current the  lights are drawing.

good luck
--Ian

~ Archival Audio ~
Archiving Worthy Music
since 1986 & digitally since 1995

https://www.facebook.com/ArchivalAudio/

Main Mics: Milab VM-44 Links • Milab DC-196's (Matched  Pair)  • MBHO KA500 or KA300 •
PreAmps:  BaybNbox  • Naiant LittleBox • Naiant [Milab VM44] TinyBox • Naiant PIPsqueak
Recorders: MixPre 10T •  Tascam DR-100 mkIII • Sony A-10 • Sony M-10 

macMini 3Ghz i7 16GB Ram 500GB SSD • MOTU UltraLite
Naiant MSH-2's •   TOA K1's • Beyer TG 153c's •  AT 853 (4.7kmod darktrain) • Countryman B3's (1 k mod)  + other assorted mics

Offline TimSmith

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2013, 03:06:21 PM »
I have the same problem in my home when I use a preamp (I have CA-9200) in the chain. I tried everything I could, but the only thing that helps is getting to some other place. No problems at the basement or local venues or my grandma's house. It seems that some kind of an FM transmitter is nearby.

I don't know if that could be the cause in your case though... Just a suggestion. Try testing mics in different places.
I know, I know.... My english...

CA-14 (card or omni) -> CA-UGLY-BB or CA-9200 -> Sony PCM-M10

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2013, 03:41:06 PM »
I have the same problem in my home when I use a preamp (I have CA-9200) in the chain. I tried everything I could, but the only thing that helps is getting to some other place. No problems at the basement or local venues or my grandma's house. It seems that some kind of an FM transmitter is nearby.

I don't know if that could be the cause in your case though... Just a suggestion. Try testing mics in different places.
Its not the preamp its the gain that you are using that is boosting the signal being picked up by the mics possibly. I would think you have some  ground issue with these mics or if it has my mod it was done wrong :)
Chris
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline TimSmith

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2013, 06:57:46 AM »

Its not the preamp its the gain that you are using that is boosting the signal being picked up by the mics possibly. I would think you have some  ground issue with these mics or if it has my mod it was done wrong :)
Chris

Well, I'm not picking any radio without the preamp with the same amount of gain from my recorder (the mics are CA14 - I have two pairs). I think it's just a crazy environment. My synthesizer catches some FM too and it didn't, say, 7 years ago.
I know, I know.... My english...

CA-14 (card or omni) -> CA-UGLY-BB or CA-9200 -> Sony PCM-M10

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2013, 08:58:17 AM »
Is this problem still occurring?

I'd like to help but am completely unfamiliar with these microphones. Assuming that the outer housing of the microphone is made of metal, is there a metal screw (or more than one) that holds the housing on to the innards of the microphone? If so, have you tried tightening those screws, and making sure that they are contacting a clean metal surface on the innards of the microphone? You want to make sure of unbroken continuity between the microphone housing and (via the output connector) the cable shield. Even small gaps can make a difference at radio frequencies.

But if this is a "remote capsule" type of microphone as Jon Stoppable's reply suggests, then you're in risky territory to begin with. Such systems generally use unbalanced cabling and connections which are inherently much more vulnerable to RF than balanced cables and connections. Not sure what to tell you in that case; there are some environments in which such microphones just can't be used reliably, and increasingly so with the proliferation of cell phones and mobile devices. On the other hand, the radio signals may be entering output of the microphone amplifier, which is balanced, no?

I would also suggest giving A-T a call. While their stuff is manufactured overseas, they have a major home office in Ohio with technical experts on hand, and they seem to be a customer-service-oriented company from my dealings with them.

--best regards
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 10:59:06 PM by DSatz »
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

stevetoney

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2013, 04:23:44 PM »
Gilligan got hit in the head and his fillings picked up radio stations.  You might want to check re-runs of Gilligans Island to see what the Professor recommended.   :spin:

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.053 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com