Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Here's a stupid ass question for ya....  (Read 1948 times)

Offline macroint

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • Jeff's List
Here's a stupid ass question for ya....
« on: June 04, 2006, 11:35:10 AM »
"Two Acoustically Matched Solid State Microphones"

Does this mean that the bodies are matched or the caps? I would think it would be the caps that are matched, but I just got Pelsuo CECM6 and either it is the bodies that are matched or my caps aren't matched for shit: there's about 3-4db difference between the channels, which is fairly significant in my opinion. But, to be honest, I love these mics so much I don't even wanna send 'em back if they're fucked because I've been able to make the necessary adjustments with Soundforge and there's always a show coming up, so I don't wanna send 'em back.
Peluso CEMC6>PS-2>AD-20>NJB3

SUPPORT LOCAL MUSIC
http://baltimore-taper.blogspot.com

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
Re: Here's a stupid ass question for ya....
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2006, 01:42:28 PM »
When I match a set of mics I do it with the respective preamps attached, as they can often make a difference in the overall output of the mic. Just as much in some cases as the capsules them selves. So I would say properly matched mics are matched with the preamp as well. Unless they are using all 1% tolerance resistors and caps (never the case) with caps at least, I would insist that they be matched together.

Chris Church

"Two Acoustically Matched Solid State Microphones"

Does this mean that the bodies are matched or the caps? I would think it would be the caps that are matched, but I just got Pelsuo CECM6 and either it is the bodies that are matched or my caps aren't matched for shit: there's about 3-4db difference between the channels, which is fairly significant in my opinion. But, to be honest, I love these mics so much I don't even wanna send 'em back if they're fucked because I've been able to make the necessary adjustments with Soundforge and there's always a show coming up, so I don't wanna send 'em back.
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline SparkE!

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2006, 11:19:12 PM »
The capsules have not been switched between bodies, have they?
How'm I supposed to read your lips when you're talkin' out your ass? - Lern Tilton

Ignorance in audio is exceeded only by our collective willingness to embrace and foster it. -  Srajan Ebaen

Offline macroint

• Jeff's List
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2006, 03:15:34 AM »
The capsules have not been switched between bodies, have they?

Yes, they have.
Peluso CEMC6>PS-2>AD-20>NJB3

SUPPORT LOCAL MUSIC
http://baltimore-taper.blogspot.com

Offline SparkE!

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2006, 12:47:26 PM »
I would think that the amplitude matching may be done by adjusting the gain in the associated body, so you'd need to keep the same capsule with the same body.  I don't know the details of the Peluso design, though.  It may be that they simply match capsules and then manufacture bodies that are matched by design.  Regardless, my reason for asking was to see if you had tried switching capsules between the bodies to see if they were better matched that way.
How'm I supposed to read your lips when you're talkin' out your ass? - Lern Tilton

Ignorance in audio is exceeded only by our collective willingness to embrace and foster it. -  Srajan Ebaen

RebelRebel

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2006, 08:19:57 PM »
 All of the preamplifiers are the same, but the capsules have to be tuned to within certain acceptable tolerances to identify them as a "stereo pair". When you pay for a stereo matched pair, you are simply paying for the matching of the capsules. The manufacturing standards for all of the bodies are the same. At least with Schoeps and Gefells anyway.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.083 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com