Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: New to mics  (Read 3033 times)

Offline tviars

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
New to mics
« on: June 01, 2006, 12:16:10 AM »
I have around $400-$500 to spend on mics. Does anyone have any suggestion for a newbie? I know they are somewhat unheard of, but a good friend has some Akg2000's that always sound really nice. Any comments? I will be running into a Ua-5(unmod ) as of yet to a JB3.

THnaks
SBD>DR-680
AKGC2000>DR-680

Offline Sanjay

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • www.drivebytruckers.com/tourdiary.html
Re: New to mics
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2006, 01:26:51 AM »
You'll need to at least do the digimod to your UA-5, its quite simple, just cut a small trace and solder a tiny wire.  Without that you cannot run it into a jb3.

You have many options for good mics in that range.  Buy used from TS members to get good prices and safe transactions.

AKG 391's - $400 (http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=63061.0) I had these mics and kept changing but going back to them.  Consistantly pulls great tapes for me.  You'll find alot of tapes wiith this combo.

Audix 1290's - $550 (http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=64775.0) great mics, this seller is selling both Card and hypercard caps with it, so you get more options.  The sound of these has always sounded similar to akg 480's.

Studio Projects C4 - $230 (http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=64932.0) often compared favorably to the akg 391's.  Comes with both card and omni caps as well as t bar and shockmounts.  This particular pair is basically unused.  Tim (raoulduke) is a very trustworthy guy who takes good care of his stuff.

Good luck, these are 3 of the more popular mics in that price range.  If you scour hard you might be able to find a pair of akg 461's for $500. 
mics & cameras

Offline balou2

• Crippled, but still dancin'
  • He was a friend of mine.
    • Little Mountain Sound Archive
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2006, 01:42:46 AM »
+t Sanjay
Socks are overrated.

Offline bgalizio

• Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/spyboychoir
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2006, 07:37:53 AM »
Sanjay hit the basic "newbie" mics in his post. I'll second the Studio Project C4's. They were my first set of mics and I found them to be unbelievable at their price point ($225-250 used, $299 or less new).

Offline anodyne33

• You'll have that
  • All my life there's been the magnets.
    • Lucky
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2006, 11:05:59 AM »
Nice reply Sanjay! tviars, you can search over at archive.org for some shows with each of these mics. my suggestion is to find several with each microphone and stream one or two songs from each so you can get a feeling what they can do in different environments. that having been said, if you think you'll tape mostly outside, listen to some outside shows, if you're going to be taping mostly inside, listen to inside shows. my vote from that list are the akgs. i got hooked of them from this recording that swampy did of my old band, i think it's a great representation of what the 391s can do outside> http://www.archive.org/details/Doodis2005-07-23.flac
Pockets full of nickels and nothing left to eat, and I'm stuck behind a semi on Soniat Street.

Offline grider

• Trade Count: (6)
  • always give more than you take
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2006, 11:21:39 AM »
I'd say spend a little more and get way more with the ADK TL51's, they sound much better than the AKG 390 series which I used to run and recently listened to my recording made with them, they are not great recordings

Offline anodyne33

• You'll have that
  • All my life there's been the magnets.
    • Lucky
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2006, 11:59:54 AM »
I'd say spend a little more and get way more with the ADK TL51's, they sound much better than the AKG 390 series which I used to run and recently listened to my recording made with them, they are not great recordings

or look for a set of a51s le's... same diaphragm, w/o switchable pickup patterns. i love 'em. you can also hear a sample of mine on archive here > www.archive.org/bookmarks/anodyne33
Pockets full of nickels and nothing left to eat, and I'm stuck behind a semi on Soniat Street.

Offline grider

• Trade Count: (6)
  • always give more than you take
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2006, 12:58:09 PM »

or look for a set of a51s le's... same diaphragm, w/o switchable pickup patterns. i love 'em. you can also hear a sample of mine on archive here > www.archive.org/bookmarks/anodyne33

pairs of both models of ADKs now for sale in the yardsale here too, conveniently

Offline Mojowill

• Educated, no. Stupid, yup.
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • YOGIS R.I.P.
    • Mojowill's Music List
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2006, 01:09:04 PM »
dont count out a set of Superlux either, great solid starter mics with multiple recording patterns capabilities, very reasonable. 
I'm a mean machine drinkin gasoline and honey you can make my motor hum.

Offline tviars

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2006, 10:57:17 PM »
Thanks for all you answers. Got one more question. How do I contact Busman or anyone else that does mods to the UA-5. I understand Oade does not do them any more or if you never purchased it from them. 
SBD>DR-680
AKGC2000>DR-680

Offline bgalizio

• Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/spyboychoir
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2006, 07:15:27 AM »
Thanks for all you answers. Got one more question. How do I contact Busman or anyone else that does mods to the UA-5. I understand Oade does not do them any more or if you never purchased it from them. 

Send Chris a PM: his name here is busman2.

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2006, 01:30:05 PM »
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline neumannkid

• Taperssection All-Star
    • Shows Ive taped on the archive
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2006, 09:21:21 PM »

Hola Travis, Good to see you have joined the tapers section. You cant go wrong with the above suggestions. Definitely get your UA-5 modded by busman, you wont be sorry.

Offline nihilistic0

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • wat
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2006, 02:46:17 AM »
at853 / a preamp?
SP-CMC-4 (AT853) > SP-SPSB-1 (no rolloff) > Tascam DR-05

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.087 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com