Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: SD card question  (Read 3136 times)

Offline lsd2525

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Eschew obfuscation
SD card question
« on: May 08, 2019, 12:54:43 PM »
OK. I got an empty SD card that shows 2 gig used. Any ideas? If these were corrupt files, wouldn't they be showing anyway?  :shrug:
Mics: SKM184's; ADK A51s; AT4041; Superlux S502; CK91 active w/homebrew BB; AT853; Naiant X-X; Nak 300's
Recorders: M10; DR-60D; DR-701D

Offline mjwin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: SD card question
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2019, 01:58:31 PM »
Hmm, that's quite a chunk of space taken up.  Fortunately, the issue need not indicate the card itself is definitely bad, but could be the result of many things relating to file size reporting, incomplete file deletion, bad formatting, (formatted in a different machine?), corrupt files, etc. 

Assuming that you don't want these "phantom" files, I'd suggest that you just pop the card into your recording box of choice & format it there.   The recorder should then report available space (which you can compare with a newly formatted similar card if you have one). Hopefully, if you then check the card in your p/c, it should show full capacity - less the usual nominal amount for internal workspace, etc.   If you still get the reported error, probably best to chuck the card as it's not worth risking your recordings with a card which is even slightly questionable (IMHO!)

Offline lsd2525

• Eschew obfuscation
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2019, 03:04:24 PM »
Hmm, that's quite a chunk of space taken up.  Fortunately, the issue need not indicate the card itself is definitely bad, but could be the result of many things relating to file size reporting, incomplete file deletion, bad formatting, (formatted in a different machine?), corrupt files, etc. 

Assuming that you don't want these "phantom" files, I'd suggest that you just pop the card into your recording box of choice & format it there.   The recorder should then report available space (which you can compare with a newly formatted similar card if you have one). Hopefully, if you then check the card in your p/c, it should show full capacity - less the usual nominal amount for internal workspace, etc.   If you still get the reported error, probably best to chuck the card as it's not worth risking your recordings with a card which is even slightly questionable (IMHO!)

Well, I for sure will format it again; I'm just scared of losing something. Was hoping someone could suggest a way to see if these really are file fragments that I could possibly recover.
Mics: SKM184's; ADK A51s; AT4041; Superlux S502; CK91 active w/homebrew BB; AT853; Naiant X-X; Nak 300's

Offline Gordon

• Trade Count: (22)
    • my list
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2019, 03:28:01 PM »
did you enable hidden files?  do you ever delete (not format) files on the 70d itself?
Microtech Gefell M20 or M21 > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II @ 32/48

https://archive.org/details/fav-gordonlw

https://archive.org/details/teamdirtysouth

Offline lsd2525

• Eschew obfuscation
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2019, 03:32:32 PM »
did you enable hidden files?  do you ever delete (not format) files on the 70d itself?

I'll check at home about the hidden files. No, I never take the card out, I just "move" the files to my desktop via USB

Offline Gordon

• my list
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2019, 03:39:02 PM »
you only format in the deck right??
Microtech Gefell M20 or M21 > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II @ 32/48

Offline lsd2525

• Eschew obfuscation
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2019, 03:41:56 PM »
you only format in the deck right??

Yep, only format in the deck. I actually pulled this card from the 70 and replaced it. Once I'm sure this is nothing of value (or I recover something), I'll be using it in the camcorder. Which I only format in the camcorder.

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2019, 04:11:07 PM »
theres a low level disk recovery software called restorer2K (now "restorer ultimate") that ive used for years. they have a demo where you should be able to look at the files (but you need paid version to recover)

try that and if theres anything there, i have a legit license

https://www.bitmart.net/restorer-ultimate/
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline lsd2525

• Eschew obfuscation
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2019, 08:25:16 PM »
Damn I'm old. Gordon, where the fuck is the hidden files thing in Windows 10? My mind is still running on XP. Jerryfreak, that software did pick a file up, missing set from TTB 03/02/19 in Asheville. I thought I forgot to hit record, but it looks like it's there

Offline billydee

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2019, 08:49:12 PM »
The one time I had this kind of issue I was successful recovering the music using Rescue Pro Deluxe software that comes with some SanDisk cards.

Offline Gordon

• my list
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2019, 08:07:47 AM »
Damn I'm old. Gordon, where the fuck is the hidden files thing in Windows 10? My mind is still running on XP. Jerryfreak, that software did pick a file up, missing set from TTB 03/02/19 in Asheville. I thought I forgot to hit record, but it looks like it's there

In file explorer select view and check the box for hidden items.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.068 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com