Gear / Technical Help > Microphones & Setup

Wireless mic intereference

(1/4) > >>

splumer:
I realize this isn't about taping, but it is about microphones, so...

I have a Sennheiser EW 300 G3 wireless mic system, used in a Catchbox throwable mic. Every once in a while, I get some interference that sounds like white noise. It comes at random, rare intervals, and doesn't seem to be caused by anything in particular. I've had it sitting on my desk for the last several hours and haven't gotten a peep out it, so I can't reproduce the condition. It's set at 533.550 MHz. The other mic in the room is an AT, set at 495.500 MHz.

Any ideas? Thanks!

morst:

--- Quote from: splumer on August 05, 2021, 01:40:12 PM ---I realize this isn't about taping, but it is about microphones, so...

I have a Sennheiser EW 300 G3 wireless mic system, used in a Catchbox throwable mic. Every once in a while, I get some interference that sounds like white noise. It comes at random, rare intervals, and doesn't seem to be caused by anything in particular. I've had it sitting on my desk for the last several hours and haven't gotten a peep out it, so I can't reproduce the condition. It's set at 533.550 MHz. The other mic in the room is an AT, set at 495.500 MHz.

Any ideas? Thanks!

--- End quote ---
Are you near a waterway? It could be maritime radios. Boats boat up, glitch your radio, and then boat away...

Here is the Sennheiser frequency finder website, though it's only updated with a 2018 database.
http://sennheiser.us/freqfinder/index2.html
Your Sennheiser manual says it operates in these (MHz) ranges:
516–558, 566–608, 606–648, 626–668, 734–776, 780–822, 823–865 MHz (A to E, G, GB)
https://assets.sennheiser.com/global-downloads/file/6215/ewG3Set300IEM_Manual_09_2014_EN.pdf

Shure wireless users will want to use the Shure site to find local sources of known interference
https://www.shure.com/en-US/support/tools/frequency-finder

Scooter123:
Common with me using a Shure IEM or the 72htz ALD system with recording onto a SD Card. 

For reasons not known to me, when I set my Sony M10 to record onto the built in memory, and not the SD Card, there is no interference. 

If I must record using an IEM or 72htz ALD system, if I separate the device from the recorder by a good 4-5 feet, the interference goes away. 

One reason I love my Sony M10

Patrick:

--- Quote from: splumer on August 05, 2021, 01:40:12 PM ---I realize this isn't about taping, but it is about microphones, so...

Any ideas? Thanks!

--- End quote ---

unfortunately - you gotta scan for a new frequency every time you move locations with your mic.  The UHF band that your mic is in - is becoming more and more congested lately and finding open frequencies in large metropolitan areas is becoming incredibly difficult and frustrating.  Also with non-diversity receivers like the G3, handling the mic and moving around the stage can introduce tiny little artifacts that simply don't happen in more expensive diversity systems like the Shure Axient or ULX D series.  Even worse with the sennheisser In-ear units.

morst:

--- Quote from: Patrick on August 07, 2021, 01:05:47 AM ---unfortunately - you gotta scan for a new frequency every time you move locations with your mic. The UHF band that your mic is in - is becoming more and more congested lately and finding open frequencies in large metropolitan areas is becoming incredibly difficult and frustrating.  Also with non-diversity receivers like the G3, handling the mic and moving around the stage can introduce tiny little artifacts that simply don't happen in more expensive diversity systems like the Shure Axient or ULX D series.  Even worse with the sennheisser In-ear units.

--- End quote ---
True!
I would figure that you want to do a frequency scan daily as well, if you are using the catchbox for anything important (work!?)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version