Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Taping in Today's Environment!  (Read 14051 times)

Offline tomy01

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Taping in Today's Environment!
« on: April 25, 2016, 07:41:10 AM »
With today's environment it is getting harder to conceal recording equipment to "tape" your favorite concerts. I am from the old school - I have been taping for many years and my go to tape recorder is the Sony WM-D6C. This has been my workhorse and has never let me down.

With the recent Paris concert hall attacks many areas and stadiums have now installed metal detectors and or wand detectors. With its 1980's technology my good old Sony WM-D6C will more than likely never get through the new security measures due to the amount of metal parts!
Hell I took my girlfriend to a Joel Olsteen "Night of Hope" concert in Orlando last week and they were using metal detectors and wand detectors.   Has anyone been able to get “gear” though?

My question what is a good current make/model/type of recorder that I should purchase that could be looked at as something else or even have a minimum of metal parts. Also, what would be a good external mic to add.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Don't ask, don't tell, don't get get caught
Re: Taping in Today's Environment!
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2016, 10:52:26 AM »
Yes, just need to be more creative.  Better off going to newer technology for many reasons.  Look at the various sd card recorders.  Plenty of info on here.  Recordings still being made at the toughest venues.

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2016, 11:03:48 AM »
People here aren't likely going to share their secrets in public.

I can say it's more difficult to record secretly than in years past, but I can still do it. As daspyknows said...get creative. Have a plan in advance.

As for gear, you can see what I run below. Like I said...I still run.

Also some good info in this thread:

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=176450.0
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline Jhurlbs81

• Trade Count: (20)
    • My LMA collection
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2016, 11:48:37 AM »
find a recorded that doubles as a mp3 player.
FREE JERRYFREAK!

Offline bombdiggity

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2016, 01:00:42 PM »
my go to tape recorder is the Sony WM-D6C.

I've taken mine through metal detectors though that was years ago.  That said the last time I used mine is 2010.  First I got a Roland R-05 then when that failed a Sony PCM-M10.  I don't think there's much metal in those and they can pretty much be passed off as a music player if something does set one off. 
Gear:
Audio:
Schoeps MK4V
Nak CM-100/CM-300 w/ CP-1's or CP-4's
SP-CMC-25
>
Oade C mod R-44  OR
Tinybox > Sony PCM-M10 (formerly Roland R-05) 
Video: Varied, with various outboard mics depending on the situation

Offline rocksuitcase

• Trade Count: (4)
    • RockSuitcase: stage photography
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2016, 02:17:50 PM »
music IS love

When you get confused, listen to the music play!

Mics:         AKG460|CK61|CK1|CK3|CK8|Beyer M 201E|DPA 4060 SK
Recorders:Marantz PMD661 OADE Concert mod; Tascam DR680 MKI x2; Sony PCM-M10

Offline Boedi-taper

• Taperssection Member
  • Support Your Local Senior Taper!!!!
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2016, 04:15:02 PM »
I used the trusty WM-d6c for years also(Stealth and non=stealth shows) until finally switching to dat in 2000 and in 2010 the new era of taping(Portable hard drives,in my case an Edirol R-09 HR). I would highly suggest buying an Edirol or something similar for stealth jobs.They generally fit in the palm of your hand and make great recordings for the most part if your mics are good(I generally don't recommend using the internal mic on the device).They are fairly inexpensive also.

As far as taping in todays environment,to some degree it might depend on the venue or the type/genre of the act you want to tape/stealth.I live in a medium size city in upstate New York where they recently reopened a concert venue in our city after the original venue closed in 2008. I have seen/taped 2 shows there so far(The Outlaws/Kansas),to where there was no metal detectors/patdowns.Yet on their website,they have posted messages for certain shows that they will have patdowns on everyone(Mostly either the rave type shows or hardcore metal shows or even some country acts). And for the most part they explain the reason for the patdowns is because "A few individuals sneaking in alcohol or drugs,etc"). So your best bet is to scope out the venue entrances ahead of time without obviously making yourself look too suspicious. Most shows/bands I see now are taper friendly bands so I don't have to worry about this type scenario(With the exception of the 2 acts I previously mentioned.)

Offline rhinowing

• Trade Count: (0)
    • SPLRA - Smashing Pumpkins Live Recording Association
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2016, 09:29:48 PM »
second rule of fight club, take it to PM
Please contact me if you've ever taped the Smashing Pumpkins or a related group!

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2016, 06:17:31 PM »
Depends what you record. Other than the very largest venues and bands, most security don't care at all about recording, because virtually everyone has a video recorder in their pocket and they can't really stop it.
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline badronald

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2016, 01:56:06 AM »
A few weeks back I left my M10 in my jacket  and it set off the walkthru detector,  they pulled me aside to wand me and I just pulled it out and held it in my hand while they wanded me and it was no problem.

I probably should have just put it in the basket with my phone and keys - they don't give a crap if its not a gun or knife.

Offline lsd2525

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Eschew obfuscation
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2016, 11:20:10 AM »
I need a all -in-one Swiss army gun/knife/recording device :laugh:
Mics: SKM184's; ADK A51s; AT4041; Superlux S502; CK91 active w/homebrew BB; AT853; Naiant X-X; Nak 300's
Recorders: M10; DR-60D; DR-701D

Offline pohaku

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2016, 06:13:52 PM »
You can always just plug a set of earbuds into your M10 and it looks even more like a dedicated MP3 player.  As the onboard microphones are flush with the body, they don't stand out.   It actually doesn't even say "recorder" on it except on the back in relatively small letters that would hard to read in typically bad venue lighting.  I use mine for work as well (recording board and committee meetings) so it isn't unusual that I have it in my coat pocket.  Hiding in plain sight often works well. ;D
Mics: akg c460 (ck61, ck63), c414buls, c568eb; at4049a, 4051a, 4053a, at853; josephson c42; neumann U87, km84i; beyer m130, m160, m500; aea r84; gefell m71, mt711s, m200, m201, um70S; sony c38; schoeps cmc6, CMBI (mk4, mk21, mk41, mk4v); sennheiser mkh30, mkh40, md421, md431, md541; audix m1290
Pres: API, a-designs, pendulum, purple, millennia TD-1 and HV-32P, gt, littlebox, tinybox, usbpre2, CA 9200, pipsqueak, grace V2, DAV BG1
Cables: KCY, CMR, Naiant AKG actives, PFAs, asst.  GAKables and Darktrain
Recorders/converters/monitors: dr680, m10, dr-2d, d50, zoom f8 & F8n pro, 788T SSD CL-8, lynx aurora 8, Neumann KH20

Yeah, I'm an attorney, but everyone needs a day job

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
  • Don't ask, don't tell, don't get get caught
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2016, 11:59:57 AM »
The M10 is not the challenge, with lithium batteries it isnt likely to set off the metal detector.  Its the mics and pre-amp that are metal.  For me if all I could get in was the dr-2d I would hang it up.  the return on investment (effort and cost) just isn't there.

Offline tim in jersey

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2016, 02:33:44 AM »
I consider myself lucky. I'm in the unique position where the "big" bands I openly tape are pretty good about informing the venue. And the 007 work I do is at venues that haven't a clue about taping.

As for the rest, I've established enough relationships where I have access to SBD patches and can pretty much place mics where I want to.

That being said, I could probably get my  >:D rig in to a Tool show or somesuch, but I just have no desire to see anything of the like.

Offline MakersMarc

• Trade Count: (17)
  • 😈
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2016, 12:51:54 PM »
So few open taping bands come to Tucson that it was either quit or pickup a  >:D setup. Even for open bands, it's gotten hard. The venue that used to let me out on the floor with even a 12 foot stand makes tapers now go under an overhang. The other nice venue disallows taping no matter the artists wishes. We used to regularly get jam bands, but turnout was so poor that they quit coming for the most part. Which is fine.
😈 Mk4v/41v>nbob actives>Baby nbox>Oade warm mod Marantz 620.

Open: 4v/41v>nbobs>Nicky mod Naiant PFA>Oade warm mod 661.

Home: the Stereo Hospital budget refurb rig: Lappie>DragonFly Cobalt/Red with Jitterbug>Nikko NR520/Sansui 221>B&W V202 speakers.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.07 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com