Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Core Sound Battery Replacement  (Read 2778 times)

Depechemode1993

• Trade Count: (0)
Core Sound Battery Replacement
« on: March 01, 2009, 12:35:22 PM »
I just a question for everyone. Usually I change my batteries for each show just because of the fear of the batteries dying during a set. But I am not sure when I should replace the 9V battery in my core sound battery box? What does everyone else do?

nameloc01

Re: Core Sound Battery Replacement
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2009, 12:41:14 PM »

I change batteries in everything before every show...then the used ones are put into a box at home for remote controls,kids toys,ect.

Offline mr qpl

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2009, 12:50:27 PM »
there's not much draw on the 9v if you don't have the mics connected. It should last maybe 6 months with maybe 4x a month use. YMMV
I mark the outside of the box with tape with the month and yr I changed batteries, to remind myself when I did so last

Depechemode1993

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2009, 02:21:10 PM »
there's not much draw on the 9v if you don't have the mics connected. It should last maybe 6 months with maybe 4x a month use. YMMV
I mark the outside of the box with tape with the month and yr I changed batteries, to remind myself when I did so last

good call. I like the idea.

Offline jlykos

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Don't sweat the technique
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2009, 04:58:38 PM »
I didn't use the mics that much, but I would change the 9v annually.  The Core Sound Binaurals don't draw that much power.  I have no idea about the High-End Binaurals (dpa 4060).
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

Offline boojum

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2009, 05:14:43 PM »
Buy a cheap RS voltmeter and you will never again have to wonder.     8)
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2009, 11:31:22 AM »
FWIW, I usually followed Core's instructions to replace that battery about once per year.  That  never lead to a problem, taping about 3-4 shows a month.

I should also note that I stopped taping for awhile between 2000 and fairly recently.  I got my old CSBs out and tried them... Still worked like a charm.  I did replace the battery before trying at an actual show, though.

IMHO, replacing the 9v in the battery box is a waste of time/money/the environment.

I just a question for everyone. Usually I change my batteries for each show just because of the fear of the batteries dying during a set. But I am not sure when I should replace the 9V battery in my core sound battery box? What does everyone else do?
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline Ekib

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2009, 11:42:16 PM »
Cool to see some Core Sound users here . My favourite mic's ever ( Core Sound Stealthy Cardioid ).

I change my batteries every 6 months or so. Just to be sure.

Last July somehow my battery was almost dead during a gig. I noticed because I had to pull the levels on my Minidisc almost up to 30 . While usually I could set it at 15 -18 depending on the gig. I was convinced the recording would sound just awful. But funny enough the recording didn't sound any worse to me. Except from a little more noise due to the lower rec levels. But during the songs you wouldn't even notice. So even an almost dead battery can pull a great recording . Very surprising. I must have left the jack in the battery box I guess. Don't depend on an empty battery though ;)

I usually buy a quality brand batteries. Like Duracel .
But I have to say, I don’t mind it. I do object when I see people sticking microphones up my nose, in the front row. If I see anyone doing that [laughs] I’m going to have security remove them. Because that’s just obnoxious. But I don’t mind if people come and discreetly at the back make a recording of it. And I know that it’s just for their own use, for the superfan.
(Steven Wilson , interview http://blog.musoscribe.com/index.php/2011/01/25/interview-steven-wilson-on-audience-taping/ )

Offline colargol

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2009, 02:06:54 AM »
I normally switch mine once a year or so. I just leave a little sticker with month and year inside the battery box so that I can check when I switched the last time. Never had any trouble, taping normally a few times every month...

-c
« Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 02:13:30 AM by colargol »
MK4s/MK41s > nbob actives > tinybox/babynbox > M10/A10

Depechemode1993

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2009, 03:55:31 PM »
so mics that need power really don't use that much while in use?

Offline mr qpl

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2009, 08:19:01 AM »
not the dpa's, anyways.......

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.054 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com