Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: so i got my mics/recorder - do i need a preamp / bbox ?  (Read 1939 times)

Offline infinite

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
so i got my mics/recorder - do i need a preamp / bbox ?
« on: May 09, 2007, 04:28:51 PM »
first of all: if there any common threads for newbies about preamps and/or bboxes i would appreciate it if you post them, i found only a little part which doesnt help me with my specific problems.

as recorder i got a sony mz-rh1, for mics i go for church audio b99-m; so the question is do i need a preamp/bbox ?

my goal is to record indoor concerts with ~300 people and open air festivals. i know that those are very different scenarios, but maybe there is a solution for both.
i read, that if you want to record big concerts, you should do it via line in. because the line in has no plug-in power you have to use a bbox. okay for so far - but what is a "Big" concert ? 100people, 1000people, 10000people? in which dimensions i have to think?
and the other thing i dont know anything about (i know what a preamp is in general..  ::)) do i need a preamp, and yes whatfor ?

last but not least, will this complete my setup?
mics -> (bbox / preamp) -> recorder
or did i forget something?

regards,
infinite

Offline silence

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: so i got my mics/recorder - do i need a preamp / bbox ?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2007, 05:50:42 PM »
first of all: if there any common threads for newbies about preamps and/or bboxes i would appreciate it if you post them, i found only a little part which doesnt help me with my specific problems.

as recorder i got a sony mz-rh1, for mics i go for church audio b99-m; so the question is do i need a preamp/bbox ?

my goal is to record indoor concerts with ~300 people and open air festivals. i know that those are very different scenarios, but maybe there is a solution for both.
i read, that if you want to record big concerts, you should do it via line in. because the line in has no plug-in power you have to use a bbox. okay for so far - but what is a "Big" concert ? 100people, 1000people, 10000people? in which dimensions i have to think?
and the other thing i dont know anything about (i know what a preamp is in general..  ::)) do i need a preamp, and yes whatfor ?

last but not least, will this complete my setup?
mics -> (bbox / preamp) -> recorder
or did i forget something?

regards,
infinite

yes, tickets

but seriously.  you are fine just going straight into the mz-rh1, as you know it has a sensitivity setting in the menu.  Do a test at home playing music through your speakers as loud as you think it is going to be, record and a minute of it and judge accordingly.  If it distorts and you had it in low sensitity with AGC on then you could need a battery box.  if not, then you are set to go. Oh and another thing.  practice not moving for one song's length.  Have fun

BTW location: where you place yourself to record in relation to the stacks,  is a very important criteria of a good image in your recording.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.263 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com