Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Busman BSC 1- worth buying?  (Read 17675 times)

Offline brewcrew87

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Regular
Busman BSC 1- worth buying?
« on: January 04, 2011, 09:19:01 PM »
I am a relatively new taper. i am just finishing school, so i dont have that much to spend. I taped previously with Behringer c2`s, but they sounded like crap. Is the busman bsc1 any better? there website advertises a pair for $450

Offline newplanet7

• Hasn't heard a muddy 460/480 tape. EVER. Mike Hawk
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • The Place To Be...... Akustische u. Kino-Geräte
Re: Busman BSC 1- worth buying?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011, 09:44:59 PM »
Many. many fellas here swear by the busmans.
If you Google live music archive and seach for the busman mics you will get plenty of hits.
Here ya go for samples.
http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=bsc1%20AND%20collection%3Aetree
MILAB VM-44 Classic~> Silver T's~> Busman PMD660
News From Phish: Will tour as opening act for Widespread Panic for Summer
hahaha never happen, PHiSH is waaaaayyyy better the WSP

They both ain't got nothing on MMW... Money spent wisely if you ask me...

FYI, it is a kick ass recording of a bunch of pretend-a-hippies talking.

Offline setboy

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, 09:51:04 PM »
Great mics. I hear his upgraded caps make them even better

Offline DigiGal

• AES Associate Member
  • Trade Count: (30)
  • Stay healthy and safe!
    • DigiGal Internet Archive Recordings
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2011, 12:04:05 AM »
Mics: AKG CK91/CK94/CK98/SE300 D-330BT | DPA 4060 4061 4266 | Neumann TLM 103 | Senn ME66/K6/K6RD MKE2 MD421 MD431 | Shure VP88 SM7B SM63L SM58 Anniversary Cables: Gotham GAC-4/1 Quad w/Neutrik EMC | Gotham GAC-2pair w/AKG MK90/3 connectors | DigiGal AES>S/PDIF cable Preamp: SD MixPre-D Recorders: SD MixPre 6 | Marantz PMD 661 Edit: 2011 27" 3.4GHz Quad i7 iMac High Sierra | 2020 13" MBA Quad i7 Catalina | Wave Editor | xACT | Transmission | FCP X 

Offline Belexes

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2011, 08:51:23 AM »
They are an incredible value considering 4 capsules, shockmounts, and a T bar are thrown in. I love them and am considering the new capsules.  :hmmm:
Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > HiHo Silver XLR's > Deck TBD

CA-14 (c,o)/MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod)/AT853(4.7k mod)(c,o,h,sc)/CAFS (o)/CA-1 (o) > CA-9100 (V. 4.1)/CA-9200/CA-UBB > Sony PCM-D50/Sony PCM-M10

Offline burris

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Your favorite mics suck.
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2011, 09:31:32 AM »
The Busman mics are relabeled Chinese mics, they might not even be substantially different from the Behringer C2.

You're better off getting one good solid pair of cardioids rather than eight mediocre mics.  It seems like a great deal but you don't need all those patterns.  A pair of cardioids will work in any situation.  ZMan made like 275 great recordings last year and he used nothing but a single pair of top quality cardioids.  Same as the year before, and the year before that...  Even with four caps you don't get the most useful one aside from cardioid, a figure-of-eight.

YMMV but I think the Busman mics (and all the white labeled Chinese mics I've heard) don't sound all that great as a main stereo pair.  Sure, they sound miles better than the complete shit mics based on $1.50 capsules from Panasonic, but really flat and natural sounding mics can be had for not much more.

Mics are mechanical devices that last a lifetime unlike recorders which you'll replace every few years.  Whatever you do, don't waste your money on a deck mod or fancy cables when you could have invested that money in better mics.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2011, 10:11:49 AM »
I'm in agreement with burris in general, but would simply boil it down to:  allocate the biggest chunk of your budget to mics, and get the best mics you like within your budget. 

Sometimes "not much more" is too much for an already stretched budget.  I've not followed gear prices too closely the last couple years, but I don't know of (m)any better sounding cardioid-only mics within ~$33% of the BSC-1's price point (~$600 budget; with the exception of perhaps the AT 4041s).*  Anything higher priced than that and you're talking a substantial increase in budget, at which point one probably wouldn't consider the BSC-1s, anyway, and would be looking at other options.

The BSC-1's aren't the greatest sounding mics, but they sound pretty darn good, and noticeably better to my ears than many other low-cost mics.  And that's why they're reasonably popular:  they represent an excellent value (performance/price) for those recording on a budget.

* I suppose someone will inevitably mention a pair of used AKG 391s, but I don't care for their (or in general the AKG small diaphragm) sound.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline bluelawn

• Taperssection All-Star
  • tape with what you got
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2011, 11:15:40 AM »
I'd look for a used pair of Audio Technica 4041's, we got a pair purchased used for $300 and made tons of great recordings.
i have since got some Milabs, and while i haven't used them, i still can seem to let go of the AT's.
Milab VM-44 Links > Naiant Littlebox > Sony PCM-M10
Audio-Technica 4041s > Sound Devices MixPre > Tascam DR-05

http://phishhook.com/lists/bluelawn

http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=nochajski&sort=-date

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2011, 11:37:08 AM »
All good advice...  I'd also suggest looking at the AT 4021s, 4041s and 4051s.  I believe one of those AT series are switchable pattern, too, but as Burris points out, really, one set of excellent cards used by someone who knows what they're doing is the ticket most of the time (although I'd also put in that one pair of excellent hypers is also awfully handy if you record in places that are indoors and noisy).

It is worth noting that those AT mics cost more than those $500 Busmans, at least new.
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline halleyscomet8

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2011, 12:08:44 PM »
i would like to say that i really like my busmans. i have been using them since the first batch he made. and i will continue to use them until i can drop a few thousand on something better. i have new handmade capsule that he is offering now and that has really improved the overall sound too. listen to some bsc1 recordings on the lma and compare them to other sources from the same show. the lma has a nice (check for other copies) option. so, listen a lot and let your ears decide.

there are plenty of recordings in my sig. link.
my shows on the archive: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/halleyscomet8
And, yes, I know I suck about getting stuff circulated.  ;)

Offline Shawn

• is old and tired
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2011, 12:52:01 PM »
It seems like a great deal but you don't need all those patterns.  A pair of cardioids will work in any situation.
1)how can you say that without knowing what situations this person records in? Depending on what and where he records those different patterns may be very useful.

2) yes a pair of cardiods will work in any situation. as in they will pick up sound. however there are plenty of situations where a pair of cardiods is not the best option.

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2011, 02:37:12 PM »
The BSC-1's aren't the greatest sounding mics, but they sound pretty darn good, and noticeably better to my ears than many other low-cost mics.  And that's why they're reasonably popular:  they represent an excellent value (performance/price) for those recording on a budget.

* I suppose someone will inevitably mention a pair of used AKG 391s, but I don't care for their (or in general the AKG small diaphragm) sound.

I think you hit it, they are an excellent value for what you pay, especially if you can pick them up used. IMHO, they don't hold up against neumann, beyer, schoeps, or milabs, but they are also almost half to a third of the cost. Is the difference worth it? Probably not at this point in your taping career.

I was going to say the AKGs as well,  :P but I don't care for the sound also, some do, some don't and the OP should consider them because they might like that sound. The Church Audio 14s might also be something to consider if you are not wedded to phantom power. I generally put them in the same category of high value for what you pay, and then save your money for something better down the road.

It seems like a great deal but you don't need all those patterns.  A pair of cardioids will work in any situation.
2) yes a pair of cardiods will work in any situation. as in they will pick up sound. however there are plenty of situations where a pair of cardiods is not the best option.

Shawn ftw.

If you're just starting out, chances are you aren't going to pull a tape comparable to zman's out of the gate. It could be you aren't comfortable or capable of running up front, or you are still learning how to tell by sight and sound how a room will operate, but having the extra caps can help and can be a learning experience. The caps won't fix everything, but will help.

burris made some valid points, but I don't think that was one of them.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline newplanet7

• Hasn't heard a muddy 460/480 tape. EVER. Mike Hawk
  • The Place To Be...... Akustische u. Kino-Geräte
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2011, 03:10:31 PM »

Your favorite mics suck.  ;D
MILAB VM-44 Classic~> Silver T's~> Busman PMD660
News From Phish: Will tour as opening act for Widespread Panic for Summer
hahaha never happen, PHiSH is waaaaayyyy better the WSP

They both ain't got nothing on MMW... Money spent wisely if you ask me...

FYI, it is a kick ass recording of a bunch of pretend-a-hippies talking.

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2011, 03:55:07 PM »
All good advice...  I'd also suggest looking at the AT 4021s, 4041s and 4051s.  I believe one of those AT series are switchable pattern, too, but as Burris points out, really, one set of excellent cards used by someone who knows what they're doing is the ticket most of the time (although I'd also put in that one pair of excellent hypers is also awfully handy if you record in places that are indoors and noisy).

It is worth noting that those AT mics cost more than those $500 Busmans, at least new.

Then why do I have 4 pairs?  And why are you getting one more pair -- though conveniently dropping me to 3 pairs as it raises you to 2.  :P  (Yours are on the way, BTW.  I'll send tracking shortly.)

My over-abundance of hypers that I'm working to pare back notwithstanding, I actually agree with Burris about the cardioids.  I've often owned cards only at several points in my taping career, and they are very versatile and you can make lots and lots of good tapes with just cards at your disposal.

I don't know that much about the Busmans' sound*, though I know a lot of people really like them.  So I can't comment on them specifically.  If they provide something in the same quality for the price as a single set of cardioids, obviously it can't hurt to have other patterns to play around with and try out given the right conditions. 

But I would agree with Burris in that if you can get better sound for the price for a cards only set, I'd recommend that option.  Even in cases where say you'd prefer using hypers, IME a good sounding set of cards will make better tapes than a mediocre set of hypers (not to say that the busmans are mediocre).  As a for instance, I was convinced recently to run my milab cards for a Phish show in a ~6,000 person hockey-type arena (from pretty far back).  Perfect place to use hypers, and I ran milab cards along with Gefell m210 hypers. I actually like the milab recording better, and Gefell m210's are pretty much the best hyper out there (again, IMNSHO).

I did actually "start" out with AT4041's (after upgrading from SoundPro micromics).  I got mine from 8th Street, which I see still sells a stereo pair of AT4041's for $500, so they can be had new for the same ballpark as busmans.  I'd certainly at least put them on the consideration list.

*note on my "experience" with the busmans: I've never owned or really listened that much to the Busman BSC1, but I did own for awhile a pair of busman-modded Avantone ck1's, which I'm led to believe are the same or very much like the BSC1's.  I liked them for sure.  To my ear better than the roughly similar (chinese) Studio Projects C4's and comparable to the ADK SC-T's.

To end this long ramble, in the way of Chinese mics, I've owned Studio Projects C4's, ADK SC-Ts, Busman modded Avantone CK1's, and now own Charter Oak m900's (similar to Pelusos I hear).  While I like having multiple patterns to play around with, I liked the sound of AT4041's better than all of these.  The usual caveat that ymmv and everyone's ears are different.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline yug du nord

• ...til things never seen seem familiar…
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • made with natural flavor
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2011, 04:06:38 PM »
The BSC1's are great IMO.  Can't beat em for the price. 
And I don't think that there is anything similar at all about the BSC1's and "Chinese" mics except for the appearance.
As far as I know, Busman builds/wires the internals himself with high quality components where possible.  I believe that he uses the best components that he can use AND keep them at a price point that is affordable to most "invested" tapers/musicians.   And he provides excellent quality control and customer service.

They aren't a pair of Schoeps/Neumanns/Gefells.....  but they don't cost the same as a pair of Schoeps/Neumanns/Gefells either.
Even though my pair of BSC1's are on the back burner right now....  unless the day comes that I feel that they are obsolete for me, I can't imagine ever dumping em.....  they are worth way more than their price tag in my book.  Great sounding mics that won't give you an ulcer worrying about em when you have to go take a leak.

275(?) shows are a lot of shows....  but I guarantee that everyone could use a pair of hypers in their bag now and then.  zman's experience out-weighs his gear bag........  his experience helps him make great recordings with a single pair of mics. 

But I would agree that one pair of mics with single capsules can definitely be superior to one pair of mics with multiple capsules.  But the options for that scenario are slim when looking within a "reasonable" price range.

I think that burris is pissin on a product that he's not familiar with (no offense intended).  But then again...  I'm a Busman fluffer.

BSC1's come from NoCal....  not China.
.....got a blank space where my mind should be.....

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.091 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com