Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sound Devices MixPre-3 and 6, Part 7  (Read 71178 times)

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Sound Devices MixPre-3 and 6, Part 7
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2020, 09:06:00 PM »
I upgraded, but have not tested it.

I still have not recorded with it, but I am presently using the Mixpre-6 with firmware V6.00 as a USB audio interface (output) for my computer.

Pretty interesting using the digital input on the SD, and also cool to have meters on my sound interface! My Saffire has none, the MotU 828 has them, but is too big to sit within my visual field, and besides it hums when it's powered up. (signal is clean but box is noisy)

Does anyone else use theirs as a USB sound interface? I would be glad to hear hot tips!

Like turn off the limiter, I think I like it without, since it's monitoring a digital source now.
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Online WiFiJeff

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2020, 10:36:10 PM »

Pretty interesting using the digital input on the SD, and also cool to have meters on my sound interface! My Saffire has none, the MotU 828 has them, but is too big to sit within my visual field, and besides it hums when it's powered up. (signal is clean but box is noisy)

Does anyone else use theirs as a USB sound interface? I would be glad to hear hot tips! [/font]

Can you feed a USB signal from a device like the SONOSAX SX M2D2 into the MixPre II now??  How, what settings?

Offline morst

« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2020, 12:35:42 AM »
Can you feed a USB signal from a device like the SONOSAX SX M2D2 into the MixPre II now??  How, what settings?
Get a cable and plug it in!
I've got my inputs set so that I can record the USB input directly onto 5-6 by hitting the Record button, but I turned that off to see what's up, and it still played audio through the l-r outputs and headphones from the computer via USB.
*I think that's because I've got those set for it. I messed with it for a while to get it working the way I wanted.

Offline justme

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2020, 01:23:18 AM »

You can record pretty much any audio that is played on the computer or fed into it from another audio source. No matter how it is fed in, line, USB, Thunderbolt, Firewire et al.
As long as it's an identifiable Audio I/O or can make a sound some how.

If you want to route audio in more complex ways on macOS - like the outdated Sound Flower driver offered - I can recommend BlackHole as the most up to date virtual driver.

https://github.com/ExistentialAudio/BlackHole

Online WiFiJeff

• Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2020, 01:24:19 AM »
Does it jam to the USB digital signal, or resample?

Offline justme

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2020, 02:05:23 AM »
Does it jam to the USB digital signal, or resample?

You can select bit and sample rate and which source to act the clock.
Depends on the Mac but I believe most does hardware rate conversion.

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/audio-midi-setup/ams59f301fda/mac

Online WiFiJeff

• Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2020, 02:19:38 AM »
There is no "Mac" involved.  I want to go from a Sonosax SX M2D2 via its USB out, into a MixPre II 6.  I have configured channels 5 and 6 on the MixPre to receive this stereo input, and also want to input analog signal from mics into channels 1-4.  Will tracks 1-4 clock correctly to the Sonosax or will the MixPre resample the digital input?  My old Sonosax 8-track MiniR82 would clock the analog inputs to digital inputs 5-6 (but not digital inputs 7-8).   Any idea what happens here??

Offline justme

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2020, 04:04:45 AM »
There is no "Mac" involved.  I want to go from a Sonosax SX M2D2 via its USB out, into a MixPre II 6.  I have configured channels 5 and 6 on the MixPre to receive this stereo input, and also want to input analog signal from mics into channels 1-4.  Will tracks 1-4 clock correctly to the Sonosax or will the MixPre resample the digital input?  My old Sonosax 8-track MiniR82 would clock the analog inputs to digital inputs 5-6 (but not digital inputs 7-8).   Any idea what happens here??

The MixPre acts as a USB Device only.
Unless the Sonosax can act as a USB Host which I doubt, two USB Devices can not communicate with each other.

You need a USB Host to which you can connect both the Sonosax and the Mixpre over USB - then you would be able to route USB audio in/Out as you like.
Perhaps a RPi could manage this as long as everything is device compliant so you don't need to mess around with drivers.
But I've never done it that way.

I've ran my Mixpre as an audio I/O to my Macs and my iPhones.

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2020, 09:53:09 AM »
You can record pretty much any audio that is played on the computer or fed into it from another audio source. No matter how it is fed in, line, USB, Thunderbolt, Firewire et al.

Could you run a DAT machine digital out into a Mac and archive your DAT tapes digitally into the MixPre 3-6-10?
"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2020, 11:57:04 AM »
I want to go from a Sonosax SX M2D2 via its USB out, into a MixPre II 6.

You won't be able to do this.
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

Offline justme

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2020, 12:35:09 PM »

Could you run a DAT machine digital out into a Mac and archive your DAT tapes digitally into the MixPre 3-6-10?

If both the Mac and dat have optical/electrical spdif it should work.
My HHB Portadat is on vacation in the basement. If I get some time over I’ll do a test this weekend.

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2020, 01:58:19 PM »

If both the Mac and dat have optical/electrical spdif it should work.
My HHB Portadat is on vacation in the basement. If I get some time over I’ll do a test this weekend.

Thanks.

I have a DAT machine lazing about. I should give it a try as well.
"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Offline morst

« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2020, 03:28:24 PM »
Yes, but why bother with the extra step/device, when you could capture the digital feed in digital audio workstation (DAW) software and save it directly to your drive?

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2020, 04:21:35 PM »
Yes, but why bother with the extra step/device, when you could capture the digital feed in digital audio workstation (DAW) software and save it directly to your drive?

True enough. But in this scenario you end up with wav files on an SD card at the push of a record button which appeals to me over working in a DAW.

Offline morst

« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2020, 09:36:58 PM »
True enough. But in this scenario you end up with wav files on an SD card at the push of a record button which appeals to me over working in a DAW.
Oh! If that's the goal, then by all means, proceed! Sounds like a great way to go about it.

But the reason I'm really back on THIS thread is to ask MixPre users if they can help with this bit about using the device on USB:

I wish I could control Stereo Output gain with the scroller knob (headphone knob) while viewing levels. I'd use the headphone out but that is RIGHT next to the dang knob!
I'd settle for controlling a linked pair with a single front panel knob.
Just nice to have a physical volume control handy in case of insane dynamics or perhaps a phone call. I can always go turn down the stereo...

Edit- figured out how to do this!
MixPre3 or 6 with V6.00 firmware - directions to set up as a handy USB audio interface for a computer.
Plug in MixPre to computer via USB-C port on recorder. Plug other end of compatible cable into your host computer.
 *Note* If your host machine is not able to provide sufficient power via USB-C, you will not be able to use a remote keyboard on the mixpre, or run more than 2 channels of Kashmir preamp. The power indicator will be amber, not green. Other functions mostly work the same, in my brief experience.
Click Hamburger icon, page to P3 > System, set Mode to Advanced, set USB-C to Audio, set USB Audio to Normal (optional: on page 2, set up bluetooth, if you want remote monitoring for your fancy new sound interface!
Channel 1-2 - push the input knob, (touchscreen to page 2!) set Linking 1-2, Set input on those channels to USB 1 left, and USB 2 right.
Now set Outputs > Stereo Gain to 0, Stereo Out Left is set to Chan 1, Stereo Out Right is set to Chan 2

At this point, main output level for the mini jack is set to the output from Channels 1-2, which get their input from the USB 1-2.
Main level is set on Channel one, balance on channel two (set it to the middle for most things!)
[I suspect I could use the mix bus, but I might be doing so now. Still new at this)
Touch the meters in the bottom to make it toggle through displaying sample rate and bit depth, time and date, Headphone info
Touch the meters in the middle to make it toggle through displaying your L-R main bus & USB input, L-R main bus with large bars, L-R main bus & Active channels
move the knob for input 1, and the display top left will jump to its current level setting as you move it.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2020, 11:21:20 PM by morst »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.072 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com