Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: 3rd mic for use w/ Tele’s ELA’s  (Read 5790 times)

Offline capnhook

• All your llamas are belong to us....
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • All your llamas are belong to us....
Re: 3rd mic for use w/ Tele’s ELA’s
« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2021, 07:53:18 AM »
CAFS omnis with a stereo mic center......delicious

You've got me homesick for the Spirit of the Swuannee porch stage!

Me too Lee, any one of their stages will be suitable after this drought.
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline DavidPuddy

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • If it's too loud, turn it down.
« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2021, 11:07:43 AM »
(I am sitting on 50 to 75 shows that need to be tracked).

Aren't we all?

:bigsmile:

:medal - when I got back into taping in 2015, I caught a lot of shows around Cbus (only taper present) that I transferred to hard drive and did not touch, it is “time” to fire up the old PC and find my notes on uploading shows (solo Billy String fall 2015/spring 2016, John Mullins (of ekoostik hookah) before he passed).

My buddy "Brain" lives in Columbus. I'm surprised you haven't met him at a BS show.

Let me know if you need help with any of them.
Mics: mk4v/mk41v/mk22 > CMC1L/Nbobs, 4061, MKE2
Preamps: Mixpre-D, Nbox Platinum ABS
Recorders: Mixpre-6 ii, PCM-A10

Offline OhioHead

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2021, 02:00:26 PM »
(I am sitting on 50 to 75 shows that need to be tracked).

Aren't we all?

:bigsmile:

:medal - when I got back into taping in 2015, I caught a lot of shows around Cbus (only taper present) that I transferred to hard drive and did not touch, it is “time” to fire up the old PC and find my notes on uploading shows (solo Billy String fall 2015/spring 2016, John Mullins (of ekoostik hookah) before he passed).

My buddy "Brain" lives in Columbus. I'm surprised you haven't met him at a BS show.

Let me know if you need help with any of them.

Would love help on these shows, I have taped shows w/ Old & in the Way from here, a couple shows w/ a GSBG taper from NW Ohio, a guy from Middletown and a super nice taper from west of Dayton.

Please reach out to Brain to see if he would would be ok w/ passing his number to me via PM’s; I know I have taped w/ a couple other Cbus tapers but was unable to get phone numbers post show.

I have reached out to Naiant to learn more about his X-R Omni low sensitivity mic’s for my needs.

Offline OhioHead

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2021, 11:45:25 AM »
Thanks everyone w/ my initial request on a 3rd mic.

Since I have started this thread I have purchased a used SD MixPre 6 (w/o 32 bit float), I have been in contact w/ Jon of Naiant (Omni mic’s not for sale (yet)), custom mic mounts from Shapeways (DIN & ORTF) & bought a 24” rail from FollowingBob.  I have Goose this Friday evening, I am thinking hyper card’s, would you run DIN, ORTF or 24” spaced PAS (I figure I will be taping left or right of the SBD booth) which is approximate 35 to 50 yards from the stage & 10 to 15 feet in front of the relay towers @ Buckeye Lake?

I am not super familiar w/ the MixPre 6 yet, so I am planning on running Tele’s > Tele tube amp > Naiant Littlebox > Sony M-10 (I have been using this set up for about 5 years), just can’t decide on a mic “positioning.”

Thank you for your feedback!

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2021, 01:09:05 PM »
Hard to go wrong with PAS if the most optimal spacing between microphones can be used based on the angle between them. You won't really know what that angle is until you set up, so best if you have the ability to adjust the spacing between mics as well as angle at setup time.  Here's the general trend- From closer (wider PAS angle) you'll use less spacing and from farther away (narrower PAS angle, your use more). A spacing of 24" between microphones ends up being optimal for a PAS angle between mics of somewhere between 45 to 50 degrees. 

Below is a copy of the PAS look-up table that makes figuring the optimal spacing simple.  To use it, first determine the angle between the PA speakers as viewed from the recording position - one easy way to do that without a protractor is to measure the apparent distance between the PA speakers in "fists", a balled-fist held at arms length and viewed through one squinted eye covers about 10 degrees, so for example 6 fist widths between PA speakers = about 60 degrees.   Find that angle in the first column of the table, then follow the corresponding row over to the cell in the column under the pickup pastern being used.  For hypers use the supercardioid column.  So for this example of a 60 degree PAS angle, the optimal spacing for super/hypercardioids will be around 16".

« Last Edit: June 14, 2021, 01:11:25 PM by Gutbucket »
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline OhioHead

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #35 on: June 15, 2021, 11:12:57 AM »
Thank you Gutbucket, I went down the PAS thread (before posting), your hard work on the chart is appreciated by the community!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.066 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com