Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sony MZ-R91 issues  (Read 2172 times)

Offline DaveH

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Sony MZ-R91 issues
« on: December 10, 2008, 12:10:44 PM »
Hello all,

I know I posted about this recorder some time back and that I thought it was malfunctioned because it would only record on one speaker. It turned that the one microphone I used was a mono mic so I think this is why it recorded in one channel when the stereo setting was on. So I bought a stereo mic thinking this would fix the problem. I then found out the cord I used to connect the MD recorder to the Battery Box was mono so once again it only recorded on one speaker.

Now I have a pair of Giant Squid omnis, a Church Audio battery box and the stereo cables to run them through the unit. However, there is a constant popping sound throughout the recording and sometimes one speaker will go out. Is there anything I can do to repair this?

One last item, this only seems to happen through the line-in. If I were to record something like an acoustic blues or bluegrass show, could I run this through the mic in and if so, would I need to use the battery box? The one bluegrass show I recorded was run through the line-in, through the battery box and the level was at the highest point but the recording turned out very low.

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Sony MZ-R91 issues
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2008, 01:43:21 PM »
You can send the battery box and mics to me I will replace or repair the battery box if it needs it for free if your mics need to be fixed I suggest replacing them. You might have a bad jack on your recorder as well one way to tell is to take a cd player and record via the headphone output to your md's line input and wiggle things around if you hear the popping then that could be the issue. The other thing to check with my battery boxes is to make sure that the 9 volt tabs are bent in so they make snug contact with the 9 volt battery and never use cheap 9 volts.

Chris
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline DaveH

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2008, 02:11:00 PM »
Thanks for the tip, I was almost considering buying another unit. The input works fine, no pops, etc. and I checked to make sure the battery box was making direct contact. The mics seem to have taken on a new problem (humming in the right mic) but I emailed Darren about this. (The other mics I have tested did not have this humming.)

Offline sunjan

• Taping since 1988, 28 years of fine recordings...
    • Just a handful of stuff I put on etree
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2008, 05:01:38 PM »
Thanks for the tip, I was almost considering buying another unit.
In the long run, consider upgrading to lossless/solid state recorder anyway. MD is a dying technology, and you could end up with a malfunctioning recorder at a time when you least want it....

Take a look at the chart to see what you can get:
http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,109256.msg1459621.html#msg1459621
Mics: A-51s LE, CK 930, Line Audo CM3, AT853Rx (hc,c,sc),  ECM 121, ECM 909A
Pres: Tinybox, CA-9100, UA5 wmod
Recorders: M10, H116 (CF mod), H340, NJB3
Gearbag: High Sierra Corkscrew
MD transfers: MZ-RH1. Tape transfers: Nak DR-1
Photo rig: Nikon D70, 18-70mm/3.5-4.5, SB-800

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2008, 07:52:29 PM »
Thanks for the tip, I was almost considering buying another unit. The input works fine, no pops, etc. and I checked to make sure the battery box was making direct contact. The mics seem to have taken on a new problem (humming in the right mic) but I emailed Darren about this. (The other mics I have tested did not have this humming.)

Look in the yard sale for a R09 that really is your best bet.

Chris
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.038 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com