Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Adapters Question  (Read 3061 times)

Offline HBK216

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
Adapters Question
« on: February 09, 2006, 04:55:37 PM »
I want to be prepared for when I can hook up my FR-2 to the board. I am only looking at adapters since I'd use my current cables for the patch.  Am I correct in assuming to cover all my bases that I would need 2 each of the following:

XLR M > RCA M

XLR M > 1/4 M Ste

XLR M > 1/4 M Mon

I know I'll definitely need them tomorrow night as the venue is small & they were concerned about the space my stand was taking. I know I can get hooked up there.

Offline fozzy

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • move along, nothing much to see here
Re: Adapters Question
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2006, 04:59:05 PM »
should get you covered.  To reduce bulk you may want to consider eliminating the XLR M > 1/4 M Mon and just pick up a pair of RCA F > 1/4 M Mono adapters.

I have made a bunch of custom cables for just this application if you have any trouble tracking these down.
MK 4V > KCY 250/5 Ig (KS 10I)  > VST62IUg > 722

Offline HBK216

• Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2006, 05:09:18 PM »
If a board has 1/4 connectors, which are they more likely to be, mono or stereo?  I might not have enough on me to get all of these at once but will atleast get 2 of the 3 sets. Which 2 would most likely be the best to get today?

+T

Offline fozzy

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2006, 05:16:58 PM »
If it is going to have 1/4 it is generally a pair of unbalanced(TR), sometimes balanced(TRS), the only time you would get stereo is if you are going from the headphone output. 

90% of the time you are going to see RCA(specific tape out on a board),

CHURCH-AUDIO

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2006, 04:01:59 PM »
The other problem you have is knowing if the XLR out from the console uses what pin for hot and what pin for cold. The standard for mic inputs it pin 2 hot pin 3 cold pin 1 sheild but for outputs on a console there is no standard you need to make a set of 6 cables if you are going unbalanced to balanced. The cold pin 2or3 has to be connected to the sheild Pin 1 so you need two sets of the cables. IE: PIN 2 HOT 3 SHORTED TO 1 PIN 3 HOT PIN 2 SHORTED TO 1 but if both sides are unbalanced meaning Mono 1/4 inch on both sides a simple patch cord is all that is needed.

Chris Church

I want to be prepared for when I can hook up my FR-2 to the board. I am only looking at adapters since I'd use my current cables for the patch.  Am I correct in assuming to cover all my bases that I would need 2 each of the following:

XLR M > RCA M

XLR M > 1/4 M Ste

XLR M > 1/4 M Mon

I know I'll definitely need them tomorrow night as the venue is small & they were concerned about the space my stand was taking. I know I can get hooked up there.

Offline fozzy

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2006, 05:19:13 PM »
In this case The XLR input is on the FR2 and he is not expecting XLR from the board.

Your post is confusing and hard to decipher what your point is exactly, seems to be a pattern for today.

Using this diagram should solve all your cabling needs.

http://www.taperssection.com/reference/pdf/DIY_CableDiagram_connettori.pdf

CHURCH-AUDIO

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2006, 05:25:55 PM »
Actually its not that confusing if your going to build cable for a sound console You need to know if your using an XLR output what pin is hot if you want to connect the other end of the cable to a Unbalanced input SIMPLE really. Some times people get confused but beleve me after 20 years as a sound engineer mixing concerts and dealing with all kinds of outputs from my consoles I am not one of them.

Chris Church

In this case The XLR input is on the FR2 and he is not expecting XLR from the board.

Your post is confusing and hard to decipher what your point is exactly, seems to be a pattern for today.

Using this diagram should solve all your cabling needs.

http://www.taperssection.com/reference/pdf/DIY_CableDiagram_connettori.pdf

Offline Teen Wolf Blitzer

• It's all ballbearings these days.
  • Trade Count: (6)
  • I am Rattus Norvegicus.
    • Support Festival Radio
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2006, 07:00:11 PM »
All I've ever needed is a pair of XLR cables and a pair of each of these....never have seen another board out other that 1/4', rca or XLR. 

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7355725703&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7379842046&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&rd=1

I'm of course assuming your deck/pre has XLR in.....you didn't say...

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.071 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com