Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: DPA d:VICE just announced  (Read 158513 times)

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
Re: DPA d:VICE just announced
« Reply #465 on: March 02, 2020, 11:01:11 AM »
JF, thanks for the in depth sensitivity/level analysis!

..copying it for future reference.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #466 on: March 02, 2020, 11:56:00 AM »
JF, thanks for the in depth sensitivity/level analysis!

Seconded  :clapping:
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #467 on: March 02, 2020, 03:24:56 PM »
Thanks I’m a sensitive guy obviously.  ::)

One point worth noting is that “maximum SPL” is completely arbitrary by manufacturer and you will notice that Schoeps only specs their Collette series at max SPL in the 130s. They probably use a lower distortion level for that arbitrary limit, in the same way that they use 0.5% distortion instead of 1% distortion as a published spec.
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #468 on: April 16, 2020, 10:13:33 PM »
semi-d:vice related but the new iphone SE sure packs a punch for $399. damn near same specs as iphone 11

https://www.engadget.com/iphone-se-vs-iphone-11-160842310.html
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #469 on: August 25, 2020, 12:00:52 PM »

Offline DigiGal

• AES Associate Member
  • Trade Count: (30)
  • Stay healthy and safe!
    • DigiGal Internet Archive Recordings
« Reply #470 on: August 25, 2020, 07:03:45 PM »
sick deal on a demo unit at sweetwater

https://www.ebay.com/itm/DPA-MMA-A-Digital-Audio-Interface/264839713597

This listing was ended by the seller because the item is no longer available.

Unsure what that means but did anyone here get it?  Perhaps the DPA Police made Sweetwater remove the listing at that price to meet [MAP] compliance since they are an authorized DPA dealer.
Mics: AKG CK91/CK94/CK98/SE300 D-330BT | DPA 4060 4061 4266 | Neumann TLM 103 | Senn ME66/K6/K6RD MKE2 MD421 MD431 | Shure VP88 SM7B SM63L SM58 Anniversary Cables: Gotham GAC-4/1 Quad w/Neutrik EMC | Gotham GAC-2pair w/AKG MK90/3 connectors | DigiGal AES>S/PDIF cable Preamp: SD MixPre-D Recorders: SD MixPre 6 | Marantz PMD 661 Edit: 2011 27" 3.4GHz Quad i7 iMac High Sierra | 2020 13" MBA Quad i7 Catalina | Wave Editor | xACT | Transmission | FCP X 

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #471 on: August 25, 2020, 07:10:21 PM »
that was actually well below dealer cost. they’re free to do what they want with used/demo gear. prob sold on their site

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #472 on: April 13, 2021, 12:42:31 PM »
i’ve had a generally bad experience with updating to ios14 (my hand was forced as several apps stopped working with old OS, others i wanted couldn’t be downloaded)

metarecorder is now a bit buggy. doesn’t like to playback if the cursor is on the default 0:00 position. haven’t recorded much lately so i’m not sure if that functionality is impaired in any way.

the battery on my ‘daily driver’ SE is a bit shot, but i have a few NIB SEs (og 2016 versions) on hand to make sure my d:vices have a recorder

i’m hoping i will even be able to install apps on the 11.x os. it’s too bad apple makes it such a PITA to use old OS versions. ios 12 is not available anywhere unsigned AFAIK

Offline prepschoolalumniblues

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Scents and subtle sounds
    • Phish.net Profile
« Reply #473 on: May 16, 2021, 10:33:42 AM »
The Sonosax SX-M2D2, which connects to a smartphone for recording, been updated to provide a choice between 48V and electret power. This recent video (posted 2021-04-22) appears to show it powering a DPA 4061. I am not super knowledgeable about any of this gear, but I would love to hear from more informed members. To my eyes, it looks like this could be an interesting d:Vice upgrade, given the reputation of the Sonosax preamps. Even if the audio quality is similar, it seems like it might provide more flexibility.

https://youtu.be/vFc6oLIj694
Oktava MK-012 > Marantz PMD661 (Oade Warm Plus Mod)
AT853 > Marantz PMD620MKII (Oade Concert Mod)

Offline WiFiJeff

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #474 on: May 16, 2021, 11:23:36 AM »
I saw this a few weeks ago, earlier models (under serial #300) can not be upgraded, so us early adapters are out of luck.  I will continue to have to use a small 9V battery box with microdot connectors (from Church Audio) to use DPA 4060s or 4081s with the M2D2, but at least I don't have to get a set of microdot > TA-3F adapters made up, which would likely be just as bulky as the battery box (which is not much bigger than a 9V cell).  I worry that the battery box might introduce some noise, though, and would be interested in any tests comparing the new M2D2 electret powering vs. external battery (Church in particular).

To address your question, the few runs I had with the M2D2 before Covid hit convinced me that it was by far the best preamp/AD I've used.  Amazing results using Schoeps mics (CMC6 bodies with adapters for TA-3 inputs on the M2D2) as well as DPA4060s via the battery box, but only one run of each, into an iPhone XR.

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #475 on: May 16, 2021, 01:19:24 PM »
The Sonosax SX-M2D2, which connects to a smartphone for recording, been updated to provide a choice between 48V and electret power. This recent video (posted 2021-04-22) appears to show it powering a DPA 4061. I am not super knowledgeable about any of this gear, but I would love to hear from more informed members. To my eyes, it looks like this could be an interesting d:Vice upgrade, given the reputation of the Sonosax preamps. Even if the audio quality is similar, it seems like it might provide more flexibility.

its kind of a different market. The d:vice is less than half the cost (and 1/10 of the size) of the sax. For what it is, its pretty impressive as it uses real analog gain circuits to get up to 30 dB of clean gain, and current model AKM adc chips to 114dB dynamic range. While the sax claims 135dB dynamic range, keep in mind that is A-weighted so that may be embellished a bit, and in any case above 110 dB you are really into diminishing returns

the only real reason id see upgrading to the sax is if you need P48. Its a great unit, but certainly has a premium price tag for what it does in the modern age. Once youre into something of that size, youre paying $1000 premium over a functionally identical (on the inout side at least) brick like a tascam dr100

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #476 on: May 17, 2021, 06:03:22 AM »

its kind of a different market. The d:vice is less than half the cost (and 1/10 of the size) of the sax. For what it is, its pretty impressive as it uses real analog gain circuits to get up to 30 dB of clean gain, and current model AKM adc chips to 114dB dynamic range. While the sax claims 135dB dynamic range, keep in mind that is A-weighted so that may be embellished a bit, and in any case above 110 dB you are really into diminishing returns

the only real reason id see upgrading to the sax is if you need P48. Its a great unit, but certainly has a premium price tag for what it does in the modern age. Once youre into something of that size, youre paying $1000 premium over a functionally identical (on the inout side at least) brick like a tascam dr100

The M2D2 doesn't even do everything a DR-100 does, because the Sonosax is a preamp/ADC, but not a recorder. I have little doubt that it is one of the highest quality ways to get two mic inputs to your smartphone though.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2021, 06:20:19 AM by voltronic »
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline detroit lightning

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #477 on: June 10, 2021, 09:49:09 PM »
Any updates on which iPhones/IOS work, or any other general d:VICE news/thoughts? haven’t used mine since before the shutdown and will be using it soon!

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #478 on: June 21, 2021, 08:44:02 PM »
What's the app of choice for recording these days? Metarecorder?

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #479 on: June 23, 2021, 10:05:49 AM »
i’ve had a generally bad experience with updating to ios14 (my hand was forced as several apps stopped working with old OS, others i wanted couldn’t be downloaded)

metarecorder is now a bit buggy. doesn’t like to playback if the cursor is on the default 0:00 position. haven’t recorded much lately so i’m not sure if that functionality is impaired in any way.

the battery on my ‘daily driver’ SE is a bit shot, but i have a few NIB SEs (og 2016 versions) on hand to make sure my d:vices have a recorder

i’m hoping i will even be able to install apps on the 11.x os. it’s too bad apple makes it such a PITA to use old OS versions. ios 12 is not available anywhere unsigned AFAIK

Prior to the shutdown I had a 2nd work phone I'd use for taping - but I'm down to just one phone now, and for multiple reasons would rather just buy a dedicated phone for recording. After last night's issue w/ static, and wanting to be able to monitor - I'm going to look for an older iphone w/ a jack. What models / IOS are people using these days?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.075 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com