Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Replacement O-rings for Rycote/Sennheiser zeppelins?  (Read 1641 times)

Offline aaroninsf

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Replacement O-rings for Rycote/Sennheiser zeppelins?
« on: May 19, 2008, 01:52:07 AM »
Does anyone know,

is there anything special about the O-rings used to suspend the mic clips in classic Rycote/Sennhesier zeppelins?

I am replacing the mono clips in my Sennheiser zeppelin with [Rycote] stereo clips to do M/S with an 8040 and the mics would fit, if I could find the right O-rings. The spacing of the four clip-anchors on the clips is wider on the stereo clips; and I assume you really want stouter rubber/silicon for the additional weight...(?)

B&H has a variety as I recall, but I think they assume you're using the stereo clips in one of those giant stereo Rycote zepps.

Someone suggested I just go down to the hardware store and try a variety, but I [naively?] always assumed some "special" silicon had been chosen that had the right balance of strength vs elasticity (?) or something to minimize transmission of noise...

I don't mind experimenting of course but if this is a well-solved problem I'd love a pointer or tip!

thanks,
  aaron

Offline John Willett

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
Re: Replacement O-rings for Rycote/Sennheiser zeppelins?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2008, 07:11:44 AM »
Rycote think the 13.6 Rycote O-rings may work (I am at the AES in Amsterdam and just discussed this with Rycote themselves).

In fact you *can* do MS in the standard Sennheiser windshield as is with the MZD 30 clip (I have done this myself), but the mid mic does get a bit close to the top.

I now use a proper Rycote stereo kit.

Offline aaroninsf

• Taperssection Newbie
Re: Replacement O-rings for Rycote/Sennheiser zeppelins?
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2008, 09:08:45 PM »
Awesome John, much obliged!

I'm willing to try them, B&H have them special order as expected...

...but I might try to find some of the same diameter in the local h/w store to test the sizing first. :)

aaron

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.043 seconds with 28 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com