Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Doing an a/b mic comparison  (Read 2478 times)

Offline Massive Dynamic

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • 20 years of the best in apocalyptic gothic metal
Doing an a/b mic comparison
« on: May 16, 2005, 01:25:06 PM »
So, I'd like to do an a/b mic test, but I have limited equipment. I only have a PS-2/line transformers and one DAT deck. The plan would be to put both sets of mics on a stand, and begin with one set of mics plugged into the PS-2. Between songs, I'd unplug one set of mics and plug in the second. Do I need to power off the PS-2 when changing mics, or can I leave the PS-2 hot without damaging the mics? Any other pointers?  Thanks.
Naiant X-X > SP-SPSB-1 > M10
Superlux S502 > Denecke PS-2 > Hosa MIT-435 > M10

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Doing an a/b mic comparison
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2005, 01:30:36 PM »
always turn the power supply off before connecting or unconnecting your mics. you risk serious damage to the microphones if the phantom power is on and you plug them in or unplug them
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline heath

• Laugh it up, Fuzzball...
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • I'm score!!!!!!
    • The Upstream Mend
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2005, 03:03:36 PM »
always turn the power supply off before connecting or unconnecting your mics. you risk serious damage to the microphones if the phantom power is on and you plug them in or unplug them

qfmft
And the Sultans... yeah the Sultans play creole

The Upstream Mend

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2005, 03:29:23 PM »
I could have sworn it was the power supply that was damaged rather than the mics. The mics are "used" to suddenly getting phantom or suddenly having it turned off. However, the power supply wants phantom turned off at the source, not suddenly broken because the mic is removed.

Either way, the advice is good. I'm just wondering about the reason. The reason I think the above is because my ULN-2 has a protection circuit that allows for hot-plugging if you forget to turn off phantom.
Out of the game … for now?

Offline Massive Dynamic

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2005, 05:40:19 PM »
Thanks, +t all round.  I was pretty sure it was a bad idea, just wanted to save time switching the connections, if possible.  On a related question, if I had two PS-2s, could I unplug one PS-2 from the transformers, and plug in the other, without powering them down?  Should only be a mic level signal output, right?  Not that the three seconds of time saved would be worth the extra gear, though, since I don't intend to do this test during any important shows.

Offline dnsacks

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2005, 05:54:40 PM »
one other concern -- I believe the ps2 has capacitors built in that will continue to provide phantom power for a few seconds after powering down.  I'd be really careful with this comparison and would likely do at least a "5 mississippi" count after powering down the ps2 before unplugging any connectors.

Offline Massive Dynamic

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2005, 06:48:44 PM »
one other concern -- I believe the ps2 has capacitors built in that will continue to provide phantom power for a few seconds after powering down.  I'd be really careful with this comparison and would likely do at least a "5 mississippi" count after powering down the ps2 before unplugging any connectors.
To be safe, I guess I could wait for the "no input" message on my M1 before unplugging.  I've actually done an a/b test of PS-2/LT vs pmod UA-5 where I was unplugging/plugging my one set of mics, no harm done.  Of course they are power hogs, so maybe they drained all the stored juice in short order.

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2005, 11:05:03 AM »
this is where the R4 shines.
:)

never liked cable jerking for comparrisons. 
To really do it right, I might try hacking the PS2 so it has 4 XLR outputs.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.062 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com