Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Dither/Resample ?  (Read 10843 times)

Offline Electric Cowgirl

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Dither/Resample ?
« on: November 11, 2003, 04:12:12 PM »
Hey all-

Got a question....I am recording in 24/96.  I want to dither to 16 and resample to 44.1.  What order should I do this in??

Sorry for the dumb question. ;D
AKG480->w-UA5->fujitsu lifebook

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Stomach Full of Regret
Re:Dither/Resample ?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2003, 04:14:02 PM »
resample then dither.  all digital editing (resampling, fades, etc) should be done before dithering to 16 bit.

Offline Electric Cowgirl

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2003, 04:39:23 PM »
Thanks!!! +T
AKG480->w-UA5->fujitsu lifebook

Offline Kindguy

• Team Bama
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2003, 04:56:10 PM »
T+ to both of ya. I was just about to ask this question.
TDS!

DPA 4023> aeta PSP-2> Apogee Mini Me > R-44

http://www.basicallyfrightened.com/

Offline nic

• Big In Japan
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • half dead batteries
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2003, 09:41:43 AM »
all digital editing should be done before you resample/dither(not just dithering)

the water's clean and innocent

Offline Willie T.

• Taperssection Regular
  • Namaste
    • My Site (down), well sometimes it is.
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2003, 02:14:13 PM »
Since we are on this editing question should it be tracked out before dithering?  
"Man or woman, if you aren't getting laid, you're being too picky. You just have to find that delicate balance between personal satisfaction and shame." -- Teabag

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2003, 03:38:24 PM »
I don't think it matters, but tracking will be faster AFTER dithering because you'll be writing smaller files.
Out of the game … for now?

Offline Chris K

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Bound to cover just a little more ground
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2003, 04:00:36 PM »
all digital editing should be done before you resample/dither(not just dithering)

whyis this so important...i have bee tracking a show, resampling, then splitting the files at the track markers.

then i take the 1st track and do a fade in, and the last track of the set/show and do the fade out

is this incorrect?? should i apply the fades before chopping up the set??

since it is a fade i thought this would be ok???

chris k

My gear: JK Labs AKG DVC > M10
              AKG 460 ck61/ck62/ck63 > DR-70D

A live concert to me is exciting because of all the electricity that is generated in the crowd and on stage. It's my favorite part of the business, live concerts.
-Elvis Presley

Offline nic

• Big In Japan
    • half dead batteries
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2003, 04:32:56 PM »
you should do the fades before you resample/dither.
as far as tracking, technically I guess it should be done before resample/dither, but most do it afterwards.

say you have 48 and a 44.1 files from the same show, (on a pc) load 1 in cdwave and create a cue sheet....then just load the other file and the same cue sheet and its instantly tracked(granted you might have to rename the file in the cue sheet)!

the water's clean and innocent

Offline Phil

• Taperssection Member
  • Control for smilers can't be bought
    • BitTorrentMusic.com
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2003, 12:05:03 AM »
If you using Wavlab, just do a "save as" on your 24/96 file and there is a option to save it as 16/44.1.  
AKG 481 > V3 > MT2496 or VXpocket 440 > Laptop

Offline Simp-Dawg

• Bad Little Dawggie
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Daddy needs a drink!
    • Colorado Tapers
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2003, 11:42:08 AM »
i like to do all my tracking at the very end of everything.  i record at 24/48, and my process is like this:
1. apply any necessary audio adjustments (for example one of my channels got turned down by a beeyotch standing on my case at mule the other night, so my first step is to apply gain over the section on that channel so it matches the rest of the recording)
2. resample to 44.1 (using sound forge at highest accuracy setting with anti-alias filter)
3. bit-depth conversion (again in sf, currently using highpass triangular dither and high-pass contour noise shaping, though i don't know the difference between that and other settings)
4. save new 16/44.1 file with new name (i keep all the 24bit recordings for archival)
5. open 16/44.1 file in cdwave, track, save cue file, open it on the 24/48 file and track that too
6. flac

tadow.
CO Crüe Benchwarmer

Playback: Denon DVD-2910 > Denon AVR-3806 > Segue Doghouse Speaker Cable > B&W DM-610i / Klipsch RW-10 Subwoofer

rabhan

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2003, 08:17:42 PM »
well, when i have over 2 minutes of crowd before the roar and over 2 minutes of crowd after the last instrument sound, i choose to add my 5sec set fades after i cut the tracks with CDWav.....

rabhan

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2003, 08:20:36 PM »
not to mention, how/why does it matter that a "fade" is affected in a sonic realm bc it has been resampled and dithered? how is it any different than having the adc(V3 for example) using ANSR vs using CEP/WL after the fact? where is the evidence that fading 5 secs of audio before or after these processes are applied makes any difference?

Offline dklein

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2003, 10:40:16 PM »
If you using Wavlab, just do a "save as" on your 24/96 file and there is a option to save it as 16/44.1.  

as long as you realize you are both resampling and dithering with the internal algorithms at default settings.  Lots of folks like to choose their quality settings and dither type.
KM 184 > V2 > R4
older recording gear: UA-5  / emagic A62 / laptop / JB3 / CSB / AD20 / Sharp MT-90 / Sony MDS-JE510
Playback: Pioneer DV-578 > Lucid DA 9624 >many funny little british boxes > Linn Isobarik PMS

Offline dklein

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2003, 10:52:27 PM »
you should do the fades before you resample/dither.
as far as tracking, technically I guess it should be done before resample/dither, but most do it afterwards.

I agree, but only for convenience reasons - edit it once instead of twice.  While fades are 'destructive' editing, and therefore should be done prior to dithering, most probably don't give a crap about getting the absolute highest quality audio for their fade points  ::)  The rest of the file will be the same when it's re-saved (after the fade has been done).

When you track is irrelavent, but if you're going to edit after you've actually split the tracks, you may not be adhering to sector boundaries.  Again, kind of an moot point from a listener's perpsective - if you join a fade-out to a fade-in, there won't be any pops or clicks from zero filling the sector because the last sample of a fade-out and first sample of a fade-in are zero.  But the etree police may come looking for you  ;)
KM 184 > V2 > R4
older recording gear: UA-5  / emagic A62 / laptop / JB3 / CSB / AD20 / Sharp MT-90 / Sony MDS-JE510
Playback: Pioneer DV-578 > Lucid DA 9624 >many funny little british boxes > Linn Isobarik PMS

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.107 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com