Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Mini-XLRs on a PS-2/Phantom power modded AT943s  (Read 5822 times)

Offline blu666z

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • AT ES943(H/C/O caps) » JKLab PP9 Pre » wmod UA-5
Re: Mini-XLRs on a PS-2/Phantom power modded AT943s
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2004, 10:08:33 PM »
I'm definately going that route just would like to end up with an 'all-in-one' box.  PM'd JK Labs.  I'll let you all know any updates.

-Kevin

Offline mattb

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Yo.
    • Matt's Page
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2004, 02:21:23 PM »
I just recorded a buch of stuff using my Un-mod AT933s > PS-2 > AD-20 > JB3 over the weekend and the sound is great. It was up close at some really loud shit in a very small space (see my Duo Buggin pics in Rig Pictures). The mics didn't clip or distort at all that I could tell, but I was hitting the minimum gain of the AD-20 a little. It clipped with the gain turned all the way down, but only a tiny bit on percussion spikes. It's not audible, but I saw it in the JB3 levels and again in CE2k. I'm not too worried since that was one of the loudest shows I've ever taped and the mics performed very well.

If you want phantom power with mini XLRs and a preamp/ad all in one I'd look at the Core Sounds Mic 2496. If I had the money to spare I'd go that route for sure. I'll be interested to hear about what you come up with too. Good luck!
AT933s (C/H/O) > AT8531s > UA-5 > H120 (Rockboxed)

Offline Sean Gallemore

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2004, 04:08:18 PM »

I still haven't quite got it figured out in my head, but I believe yes, there is a series of resistors inside the AT8533/PM4 adapters, which probably drops the voltage down.  I wish someone with EE experience would chime in here.  I've started a multitude of threads regarding the checking of voltage on this adapter as well as the DPA equivelant(sp?) for the 4060 line.  My gear was effectively stolen for 2 weeks and then I have been out of the country for another so I remain unable to test it at this time.

Calling AT8533 owners with a well stocked toolbox & a digital camera (hint hint).. .

I always(?) see the AT8533 and the Samson PM-4 mentioned as "equals". 

Is this justified? Can anyone out there confirm that the internals of the AT8533 (to me a totally unknown unit) in any way are like the internals of the Samson PM-4?

Thanks!

it's not justified, but they hold the same application

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.067 seconds with 27 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com