Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Zoom F3 Part 2  (Read 13327 times)

Offline grawk

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Zoom F3 Part 2
« Reply #90 on: January 18, 2024, 09:06:52 AM »
What are people transferring their files into? Soundforge, audacity?

Basically everything supports 32 bit float these days, so whatever you like.
4015gs/4018vlgs/kk14->mma:a d-vice/sonosax minir82/sonosax sx-m2d2/nagra vi/lectrosonics spdr

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Don't ask, don't tell, don't get get caught
« Reply #91 on: January 18, 2024, 03:53:50 PM »
Ran mine last night with the MK21s and NBox Platinum for Daniel Donato's Cosmic Country set.  Nice rig without metal detectors.

Offline fanofjam

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #92 on: January 23, 2024, 05:12:20 PM »
Haven't read too much about 32bit float or this recorder before today.  Reading about this recorder, I get all teary-eyed thinking back to all of the  >:D shows that I messed up when I first started taping back in the early to mid-90s, shows like the Robillard/Bangham years of the TBirds lineup, Luther Allison, Johnny Clyde Copeland (both of whom died in 1997), the Danny Morris years of the Nighthawks, Johnny Winter, and on and on. 

Sooo many of those guys are dead now....what I wouldn't have given to have today's gear back then so that those recordings would have turned out.   :bawling:
« Last Edit: January 23, 2024, 05:17:25 PM by fanofjam »

Offline wordgroove

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #93 on: January 24, 2024, 02:16:27 AM »
Ran mine last night with the MK21s and NBox Platinum for Daniel Donato's Cosmic Country set.  Nice rig without metal detectors.

what batteries you using - i know you dont like rechargables
fyi for getting in the door i been using your key fob in dish mehtod - i just tell them f3 is my car stereo and they just go ok

Taz
« Last Edit: February 03, 2024, 09:00:20 AM by daspyknows »

Offline dank

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • cold irons bound
« Reply #94 on: February 02, 2024, 01:28:40 PM »
so was thinking of the f3 for low profile. I saw some old posts about removing the steel cage. is that an option?
Mics: DPA 4021, AT 933, AKG CK31, CK32
Pre:  Sonosax SX-M2
Recorders: Oade ACM PMD660, Tascam DR-60D, Tascam DR-2D, Sony PCM-M10[x2]
DIME List: http://www.dimeadozen.org/account-details.php?id=919941

Offline audBall

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Feel brand new about it
« Reply #95 on: February 02, 2024, 02:37:11 PM »
^ Yes, it can be removed fully intact. It sheds half of the total weight. See my post at the top of the previous page.
mg m20.21.23 ■ akg ck61.62.63 »  nbob■naiant
aercomp2 ■ v2∞3 ■ sx-m2d2
d100 ■ pmd661 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

Offline dank

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • cold irons bound
« Reply #96 on: February 03, 2024, 08:58:08 AM »
^ Yes, it can be removed fully intact. It sheds half of the total weight. See my post at the top of the previous page.

thanks found it.  so you need to take the f3 itself apart in order to unscrew the front of the cage, and then run bolts through the front faceplate, from the inside, to hold it all together properly? if im understanding correctly
Mics: DPA 4021, AT 933, AKG CK31, CK32
Pre:  Sonosax SX-M2
Recorders: Oade ACM PMD660, Tascam DR-60D, Tascam DR-2D, Sony PCM-M10[x2]
DIME List: http://www.dimeadozen.org/account-details.php?id=919941

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Don't ask, don't tell, don't get get caught
« Reply #97 on: February 03, 2024, 09:01:05 AM »

what batteries you using - i know you dont like rechargables
fyi for getting in the door i been using your key fob in dish mehtod - i just tell them f3 is my car stereo and they just go ok

Taz

I use engergizer lithiums.  last all day.

Offline audBall

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Feel brand new about it
« Reply #98 on: February 03, 2024, 11:41:35 AM »

thanks found it.  so you need to take the f3 itself apart in order to unscrew the front of the cage, and then run bolts through the front faceplate, from the inside, to hold it all together properly? if im understanding correctly

If you want to take it to that extent, then yes. It required me to fully disassemble, because the cage is bolted to the inner molded face. That's why I had to add that tiny nut to the face to hold the through-bolt that keeps the 4 buttons/PCB in place - it would normally screw into the metal face.

Another TSer kicked off this effort in a different route (see older posts) that appears to retain a portion of the metal cage still affixed to those bolts.

Please also note that I approached mine in a "quick and dirty" fashion, fully aware of any potential warranty loss. This thing has dozens of tiny bolts holding the innards together, but really only a fraction were required to reassemble to my liking/needs. It's kind of amazing and hard to believe how tiny and light this is. XLRs aside, it could almost fit in a 5th pocket. At least in some old JNCOs.  :P
mg m20.21.23 ■ akg ck61.62.63 »  nbob■naiant
aercomp2 ■ v2∞3 ■ sx-m2d2
d100 ■ pmd661 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

Offline rogs

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #99 on: February 18, 2024, 08:46:52 AM »
Bit of a stab in the dark here......

Does anyone know the upper frequency limit of the F3 'line out' jack when the device is used at 192KHz sampling? .....  It's not in the manual, and Zoom haven't been able to help so far.

I'm interested in using a Zoom F3 to record ultrasound at around 50KHz......
Zoom have confirmed to me the actual unit frequency response  is +0.5dB/ -1dB @ 60KHz, but  are unable to advise whether that upper limit applies to the line out socket as well...
I can understand the headphone output being upper frequency limited, but hopefully not the line out socket.

I currently use the line out from my Tacam DR100Mk3  to monitor ultrasound recordings in real tme - via a custom heterodyne  monitor device - and that works fine.
I'm hoping the F3 will allow me to do the same.
But that depends on the upper frequency limit of the line out jack........

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #100 on: February 18, 2024, 11:24:04 AM »
Bit of a stab in the dark here......

Does anyone know the upper frequency limit of the F3 'line out' jack when the device is used at 192KHz sampling? .....  It's not in the manual, and Zoom haven't been able to help so far.

I'm interested in using a Zoom F3 to record ultrasound at around 50KHz......
Zoom have confirmed to me the actual unit frequency response  is +0.5dB/ -1dB @ 60KHz, but  are unable to advise whether that upper limit applies to the line out socket as well...
I can understand the headphone output being upper frequency limited, but hopefully not the line out socket.

I currently use the line out from my Tacam DR100Mk3  to monitor ultrasound recordings in real tme - via a custom heterodyne  monitor device - and that works fine.
I'm hoping the F3 will allow me to do the same.
But that depends on the upper frequency limit of the line out jack........

You could test this yourself by using any number of online test tone generators to make an ultrasonic tone sweep. Put that file on your F3 memory card, play the file, and monitor the output.

EDIT: You can just download the 192 kHz sweep from here:
https://www.audiocheck.net/testtones_highdefinitionaudio.php
« Last Edit: February 18, 2024, 11:31:17 AM by voltronic »
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline rogs

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #101 on: February 18, 2024, 11:53:24 AM »
You could test this yourself by using any number of online test tone generators to make an ultrasonic tone sweep. Put that file on your F3 memory card, play the file, and monitor the output.....

Thanks for your reply.  Sadly I don't have an F3 to check that.

I'm only going to buy one if the 'live' line out response extends to at least 60KHz during recording ( which is what I understand is the upper frequency limit of the F3  @ 192 KHz sampling ).
« Last Edit: February 18, 2024, 11:55:14 AM by rogs »

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #102 on: February 18, 2024, 04:37:24 PM »
You could test this yourself by using any number of online test tone generators to make an ultrasonic tone sweep. Put that file on your F3 memory card, play the file, and monitor the output.....

I'm only going to buy one if the 'live' line out response extends to at least 60KHz during recording ( which is what I understand is the upper frequency limit of the F3  @ 192 KHz sampling ).

I suppose you could see if there's somebody else at Zoom tech support who could find out the answer for you. I suspect that they have not tested the line out on this unit very rigorously. On a recorder this inexpensive, they are putting all of their money into the mic preamps and ADC, and the analog output stage is likely comprised of cheaper components.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline temis

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #103 on: February 18, 2024, 05:13:51 PM »

Looks like neither F3 line out or headphone output are bandwidth limited. First sweep is line out and second sweep headphone out to F6 (the line out clipped the F6 inputs but still shows that the swap file played all the way through).

Offline rogs

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #104 on: February 18, 2024, 07:23:21 PM »
I suppose you could see if there's somebody else at Zoom tech support who could find out the answer for you. I suspect that they have not tested the line out on this unit very rigorously. On a recorder this inexpensive, they are putting all of their money into the mic preamps and ADC, and the analog output stage is likely comprised of cheaper components.

I do have a second request in with Zoom Support, but they don't currently have the answer ... thanks for you reply.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.19 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com