Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Zoom F3 Part 2  (Read 13343 times)

Offline rogs

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Re: Zoom F3 Part 2
« Reply #105 on: February 18, 2024, 08:00:01 PM »
Looks like neither F3 line out or headphone output are bandwidth limited. First sweep is line out and second sweep headphone out to F6 (the line out clipped the F6 inputs but still shows that the swap file played all the way through).

Thanks for posting those. 

Looks like the headphone out is a lot more linear than the line out! ...  Not sure what those 2 'dips' are near the top of the line out display ?

Headphone out looks a lot better ....seems to roll off pretty steeply at around 60KHz , but is pretty linear below that. (Line out seems to vary quite lot in amplitude?)......

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #106 on: February 18, 2024, 10:56:50 PM »
Looks like neither F3 line out or headphone output are bandwidth limited. First sweep is line out and second sweep headphone out to F6 (the line out clipped the F6 inputs but still shows that the swap file played all the way through).

Looks like the headphone out is a lot more linear than the line out! ...  Not sure what those 2 'dips' are near the top of the line out display ?

Headphone out looks a lot better ....seems to roll off pretty steeply at around 60KHz , but is pretty linear below that. (Line out seems to vary quite lot in amplitude?)......

You might need something decidedly more high-end than an F3. Sound Devices tends to make pretty robust analog line outs on their units. You're going to spend quite a lot more, however.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline rogs

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #107 on: February 19, 2024, 07:39:59 AM »
You might need something decidedly more high-end than an F3. Sound Devices tends to make pretty robust analog line outs on their units. You're going to spend quite a lot more, however.
Strangely, for my application, probably not?......... I currently use my Tascam DR100MK3 to record bat ultrasound, and the line out is used as an input to a  custom made heterodyne detector, which allows for the ultrasound to be 'heard' in real time.
It is also useful to record the audio range tones produced by the heterodyne mixer - alongside the actual ultrasound recording - to allow for accurate monitoring.
But the heterodyne signal recording does not have to be especially accurate.

Looks as if the F3 might do the job OK....

A Sound Devices Mixpre3 II would be great of course... but I can't justify the cost - at least not at the present time! ....  :)

Thanks again for your input and suggestions

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #108 on: February 19, 2024, 10:45:34 AM »
The theoretical limit for a sampling rate of 192 is 96kHz, less the width of the stop-band filtering as actualized, and the headphone out looks nice and clean all the way up to over 90kHz with no aliasing. 

Was the test sweep played as a digital file transferred to the recorder or through an analog input? Not fully sure how to interpret the aliasing mostly present in only the first half of the line-out plot.  Given the mention of the overloaded input, my initial assumption was that overload distortion produced harmonics exceeding nyquist, insufficiently attenuated by the stop-band filtering.  A test of the DAC is not a test of the ADC.  If any content of your source actually reaches ~90Khz or higher it would be best to test the analog input with a sweep through the analog inputs to check if the ADC stop-band filtering prevents aliasing.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline dank

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • cold irons bound
« Reply #109 on: March 02, 2024, 11:54:08 PM »
took the f3 for its first 2 spins this weekend.  captured the first 2 nights of dylan tour DPA 4021 > F3 (32/96).  this is such a great stealth box!  Tape over the hold switch and forget about it!

will post in kick down in a day or two but the dpas & f3 came home with smoking tapes!

Mics: DPA 4021, AT 933, AKG CK31, CK32
Pre:  Sonosax SX-M2
Recorders: Oade ACM PMD660, Tascam DR-60D, Tascam DR-2D, Sony PCM-M10[x2]
DIME List: http://www.dimeadozen.org/account-details.php?id=919941

Offline dank

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • cold irons bound
« Reply #110 on: March 03, 2024, 01:50:16 AM »
in audacity what function am I using to lower levels? I upped the magnification thec2nd night and got some "clipping"?
Mics: DPA 4021, AT 933, AKG CK31, CK32
Pre:  Sonosax SX-M2
Recorders: Oade ACM PMD660, Tascam DR-60D, Tascam DR-2D, Sony PCM-M10[x2]
DIME List: http://www.dimeadozen.org/account-details.php?id=919941

Offline BlueSky71

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #111 on: March 03, 2024, 07:04:09 AM »
in audacity what function am I using to lower levels? I upped the magnification thec2nd night and got some "clipping"?

Effect>Volume and Compression>Normalize *Not Loudness Normalization

Offline rogs

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #112 on: March 15, 2024, 12:10:03 PM »

Just to add, I've had the chance to measure thngs for myself, and can confirm that the frequncey response of both the line out socket and the headphne jack extend to 60KHz within 0.5dB and up to 70KHz -6dB.
Above 80KHz no usefully measurable output.
Fortunately this response is always present, so that it's possible to monitor in real time as well as recording these ultrasonic frequencies.
The line out socket also has a limiter option, which will be quite useful for the task I have planned.

Not a very common use for an audio reocrder of course, but it's useful to know the limits of this particular model.

My first use of 32 bit floating point recording, and I have to say I'm very impressed with that format!

Thanks again to those who have responded to my enquiry....

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #113 on: March 16, 2024, 12:48:26 AM »
amazon sale
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09SVN6J35

List Price: $349.99
-24% $267.34
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline adrianf74

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #114 on: March 16, 2024, 01:56:16 PM »
amazon sale
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09SVN6J35

List Price: $349.99
-24% $267.34
If only Amazon Canada had a sale on this right now...
Decks: Zoom F6, Zoom F3 w/ BTA-1 | Power: Neewer NP-F970 7800mAh | Mics: (under construction) Line Audio CM3 | Camera: DJI Osmo Action 4

Offline audBall

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Feel brand new about it
« Reply #115 on: March 16, 2024, 02:38:27 PM »

B&H ships there. Looks like they have the same price right now.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1686005-REG/zoom_zf3_f3_digital_field_recorder.html
mg m20.21.23 ■ akg ck61.62.63 »  nbob■naiant
aercomp2 ■ v2∞3 ■ sx-m2d2
d100 ■ pmd661 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

Offline adrianf74

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #116 on: March 16, 2024, 02:41:18 PM »

B&H ships there. Looks like they have the same price right now.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1686005-REG/zoom_zf3_f3_digital_field_recorder.html

I can order from Amazon US - still cheaper than paying the Canadian Price but hoping there's a sale up here shortly (usually a day or two later).

B&H and Zoom don't like Canada: "Shipping Restriction: Manufacturer's restrictions for the shipping address provided prevent us from completing an order on the following items - Zoom F3 2-Input / 2-Track Portable Field Recorder"
Decks: Zoom F6, Zoom F3 w/ BTA-1 | Power: Neewer NP-F970 7800mAh | Mics: (under construction) Line Audio CM3 | Camera: DJI Osmo Action 4

Offline audBall

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Feel brand new about it
« Reply #117 on: March 16, 2024, 02:42:37 PM »
Well that's a bummer. I wasn't aware. Hopefully a sale comes your way soon!
mg m20.21.23 ■ akg ck61.62.63 »  nbob■naiant
aercomp2 ■ v2∞3 ■ sx-m2d2
d100 ■ pmd661 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

Offline adrianf74

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #118 on: March 16, 2024, 02:43:32 PM »

Thanks. Either that or somebody here (not in this thread, most likely) has one for sale.  :)

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Don't ask, don't tell, don't get get caught
« Reply #119 on: March 16, 2024, 03:43:23 PM »

Thanks. Either that or somebody here (not in this thread, most likely) has one for sale.  :)

Or someone from down here traveling there can bring one.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.093 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com