Gear / Technical Help > Battery Boxes, Preamps, Mixers, ADCs, and Processors

DIY key fob battery box

<< < (2/9) > >>

Nick_Riviera:

--- Quote from: ol' dirty taper on November 08, 2023, 01:49:57 PM ---Great build, I might try and make one this winter for fun.

--- End quote ---

Definitely a fun project. Took me most of a morning once I had a strategy. I know there's a box out there that looks like a fob, but I wanted to try to match the specs I thought I might need, and I see these sorts of DIY things as part of the hobby.

Now that we've got some great feedback from @gutbuster, I might have to give it another go... Or at least have parts on hand for the future. I did try to plan for minimizing parts stress (and ease of remembering which plug was in and which was out, to be honest!), but I like the idea of a single plug. I'll have to consider that when building my new mics over the holidays. I'll try to see what I can find on mouser now that I have a better idea of what works and what doesn't.

Thanks everyone for the welcome as well!

Nick_Riviera:

--- Quote from: Gutbucket on November 08, 2023, 09:41:27 AM ---Right on.  Welcome to the message board and Go DIY!

Might use locking mini-XLR connectors for the same reason (I prefer these, partly because I'm routing four channels instead of two).

Another option is using a single battery-box connection (usually via a multi-pin mini-XLR) that handles both in and out.  In that case the wires from the mics run to the multi-pin connector, then back out again from that same connector and on to the mini-jack connection that plugs into the recorder. This eliminates one connector and the separate wire making the connection between battery box and recorder. Looking at it, it would appear that there is only one wire running from mics to recorder, with the multi-pin connector located somewhere in the middle.  You only need to plug/unplug one connector at the battery box. 

--- End quote ---

Looking into mini-XLR I was able to find some smaller forms on Mouser - about 12mm diameter is the best I could find.  Trouble is then finding a fob that can accommodate that width.  I think I found a potential aftermarket fob shell though; I've ordered one ($10ish) and will get better measurements when it arrives. 

I like the single connection the best - it would save a bit of space and in all honesty looking at schematics of e.g., this itemhttps://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Amphenol-Audio/AG5MCC?qs=t8VhaDIDl4uKhP%252BcF9idjg%3D%3D, the soldering would be way easier than the incredibly tiny, closely spaced tabs on the 3.5mm connectors I've been using.  One downside - it's easier to kinda conceal the 3.5mms, with dustcovers even.  The mini-XLR connector might be a bit more obvious.

Will report back on my progress :)

Gutbucket:
I like your use of a key fob case.

A few details:

To accommodate a single in/out quick-disconnect for a stereo pair of 2-wire mic channels, you'll need 5 conductor paths through the connector (R in, L in, R out, L out, shared ground).

Both 5 and 6 pin mini XLR connectors use a pin arrangement with a center pin. For much easier soldering/assembly, use a 6 pin mini XLR rather than a 5 pin and leave the center pin disconnected.  Also, I like a male connector on the device side, which is easier to find in panel-mount style and probably most appropriate for this application, although the cable termination style is narrower.. but longer, which might fit better in a narrow fob but would need to be epoxied in).  A female connector (TA6F) on the cable side will be shorter than a male one (TA6M), making everything a bit more compact and reduce leverage stress on the connection and cable.

breakonthru:
trrs plugs are a slimmer alternative to minixlrs. they even make trrrs

Gutbucket:
^Will require 5 conductors to use a single connector for in/out. TRRS only 4.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version