Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: My little venture into tuning my new room  (Read 19312 times)

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: My little venture into tuning my new room
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2009, 02:37:04 PM »
use the mirror trick to find the reflection points on the wall

sit in your listening position and look up at the ceiling. have a couple of guys hold a mirror up against the ceiling closer to the speakers than your chair. have them move the mirror towards the chair until you can see the speakers in the mirror. That's your first reflection point.
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline Jimna

• Zappa for President
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Audio DeutchKraft & Busman Audio
    • F.M.Record Company
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2009, 03:03:52 PM »
im not sure diffusion is best placed in the first reflection point.  ive seen it done, but largely read it not being the best results on average, and the science behind diffusion preaches against it completely.  not that this is a legitimate diffusor.  most diffusion is placed DFC over or slightly in front of the sweet spot that ive seen or read about.  im real unsure on this, i dunno what to do.  im hoping for the effect of a higher ceiling if this is done right....well thats what a $1000 diffusor will do anyway.
Co-Founder of F.M.Recording 
SD: Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > Grace Lunatec V3 > Busman Hybrid R4
LD: ADK A-51TL MP > Busman Hybrid R4
+ 48 Channel Multi-track rig

Canon 5D Mark II, Canon 2x Extender Mark III, Canon 15mm f2.8, Canon 85mm f/1.8 USM, Canon 100mm Macro f2.8, Canon 16-35mm L f2.8, Canon 24-70mm L f/2.8, Canon 70-200mm L f2.8 IS, Canon ST-E2, Canon 580ex II (x2), Canon 430ex II, PocketWizard PLUS II(x4), Radiopopper PX System

http://jmimna.com/

Information is not knowledge
Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is THE BEST
-FZ

Offline Tim

« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2009, 03:05:26 PM »
good to know, I've spent zero time reading up on diffusion.
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline Jimna

• Zappa for President
    • F.M.Record Company
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2009, 03:10:39 PM »
ive learned a ton of new info on all this in the last few months.  i never had the freedom to really worry about room acoustics before all this since this is my first house, so this has all been quite the lesson for me.  the interwebs have taught me much.

Canon 5D Mark II, Canon 2x Extender Mark III, Canon 15mm f2.8, Canon 85mm f/1.8 USM, Canon 100mm Macro f2.8, Canon 16-35mm L f2.8, Canon 24-70mm L f/2.8, Canon 70-200mm L f2.8 IS, Canon ST-E2, Canon 580ex II (x2), Canon 430ex II, PocketWizard PLUS II(x4), Radiopopper PX System

Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is THE BEST
-FZ

Offline Tim

« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2009, 04:34:20 PM »
ive learned a ton of new info on all this in the last few months.  i never had the freedom to really worry about room acoustics before all this since this is my first house, so this has all been quite the lesson for me.  the interwebs have taught me much.

same here. she's let me have free reign in the basement. I have panels on the wall behind the listening position and some quick & dirty bass traps (read, bags of insulation inside laundry bags) in the corners. I'd like to build some tube traps eventually. It really makes a difference, I had just never had a chance to do it before.

Offline Jimna

• Zappa for President
    • F.M.Record Company
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2009, 05:49:47 PM »
tim, from what ive read tube traps have to be 20" wide or bigger to have a good effect.  surface area is the name of the game when absorbing low FQ sound waves.  a flat panel has more effect without the massive size to get the same deep low absorption.  i looked into the tubes and 15" was the biggest i could find, they only come in 3' tubes, and they cost $80 a piece + a stocking fee because no one stcks them.   i abandon them simply based on bottom line price to do the whole room.  i also started to walk around measuring the 20"+ round space loss in the room and i didnt like it, i dont have that much room to spare.  one big plus too the tube traps was the fact that they also serve as a deflector type diffusion if you can get them in the right places in the room. 

Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is THE BEST
-FZ

Offline Tim

« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2009, 06:36:32 PM »
It depends on what frequencies you need to absorb. The lower the frequency the larger the tube needs to be. I'll see if I can dig up some of the charts and data. I think 20 would be on the high end. You can cover down to 35hz with a 16" circumference trap according to ASC, http://www.asc-hifi.com/articles/iar89.htm

There are multiple schools of thought on low frequencies. One says surface area combined with density is the way to go and the other (like tube traps) focus less on surface area and more on the tube itself acting as a trap. Some people say that you cannot call a panel a bass trap.

Offline Jimna

• Zappa for President
    • F.M.Record Company
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2009, 06:52:27 PM »
i have also read into the many schools of thought but what sold me was testing using a mic and software.   before and after of a standard size room proved to me that flat panels work. 

for the tubes i didnt see such solid evidence either way, but again the price of materials swayed me too.  there is a market for the panels and they arent cheap so i wouldnt image snake oil could support all that.

if you do fine better prices on them let me know, i would love to put 3 of them under my corner traps. 

and FYI, great prices and they were great to deal with too.  they can get any amopunt of the 703, but you have to by the 705 in lots of 10 because they dont stock it and thats the way OC sells it to them.
Eagle Rock Supply
2645 E 74th Ave
Denver, CO 80229-6619
(303) 289-4151

Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is THE BEST
-FZ

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2009, 05:37:32 PM »
One option is to get some thin backer board and adhere the diffuser tiles to that.  Then you can screw the entire sheet to the ceiling.  If you want to move it just back out the screws.
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline Jimna

• Zappa for President
    • F.M.Record Company
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2009, 07:29:34 PM »
One option is to get some thin backer board and adhere the diffuser tiles to that.  Then you can screw the entire sheet to the ceiling.  If you want to move it just back out the screws.
thats brilliant!  this will excellerate that getting done.  i was baffled, thank you!

Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is THE BEST
-FZ

Offline Jimna

• Zappa for President
    • F.M.Record Company
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2009, 02:36:37 AM »
pic update w/ a closer to finished room:

the head

stealy, he hangs with me down here more than anyone.  must be a true blue music lover.

i am really liking these speakers.  they get my thumbs up.

they love the blues...
« Last Edit: November 21, 2009, 02:38:44 AM by Jimna »

Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is THE BEST
-FZ

Offline Javier Cinakowski

• !! Downhill From Here !!
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2009, 01:42:33 PM »
that orange paint looks wonderful with the spot lighting. 

Very professional looking.  You did a better job than the professionals that built Pringles vocal room....
Neumann KM185mp OR DPA ST2015-> Grace Design Lunatec V2-> Tascam DR-100mkIII

Offline Mojowill

• Educated, no. Stupid, yup.
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • YOGIS R.I.P.
    • Mojowill's Music List
« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2009, 12:13:58 PM »
For my listening room I choose to go a bit further on the technical aspect of reflection and stereo imaging.

I put my speakers on plastic milk crates and pointed them away from the wall. :P

jimna yinz are a dork n @ :-*

n i always thought yinz said missy was yinz "man cave"
I'm a mean machine drinkin gasoline and honey you can make my motor hum.

Offline Jimna

• Zappa for President
    • F.M.Record Company
« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2009, 12:18:46 PM »
hahaha!   will, if that man cave could fit a stereo in it i would be calling her the gear slut with a men cave, as im not the only one in there.

and mike i swear that the paint is yellow, but everyone sees orange.  the camera seems to favor the orange hughs.....but thanks!

Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is THE BEST
-FZ

Offline fozzy

• Trade Count: (2)
  • move along, nothing much to see here
« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2009, 02:14:07 PM »

and mike i swear that the paint is yellow, but everyone sees orange.  the camera seems to favor the orange hughs.....but thanks!

Looks very yellow on a viewsonic G225f CRT with and without a 3M privacy screen.
some of them look orange on my laptop LCD
MK 4V > KCY 250/5 Ig (KS 10I)  > VST62IUg > 722

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.069 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com