Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Church Audio UBB Issue  (Read 2586 times)

Offline joeldotc

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Church Audio UBB Issue
« on: February 24, 2024, 12:18:58 PM »
I just received CA14 cards and an ugly battery box from Church yesterday and I'm having some issues with the battery box. For reference, I'm using a Roland r-05 recorder.

The mics work fine when I plug them directly into the mic input with PIP turned on. But, when I try connecting them CA14 > UBB > line-in, I get nothing. I've been testing them by playing music out of a speaker right in front of the mics. I'm making sure that the battery is connected properly and that the terminals are making proper contact.

Now here is the really weird part - if I turn the battery around and press the opposite terminals to the connector, I get input from the mics. This is challenging to do because the 9V battery wont actually connect in this orientation, so I need to hold the battery and battery box together in this position.

Anyone have any ideas what I might be doing wrong? Or did CA just build the battery box incorrectly - and if so, any ideas on fixes? Hoping this is just an issue on my end and not with the battery box. I was planning on taping two shows this coming Tuesday and Wednesday.

Offline Rairun

• Taperssection Regular
    • my recordings
Re: Church Audio UBB Issue
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2024, 06:05:35 AM »
It is very strange that you do get some input if you switch the battery orientation around, and that will probably invalidate what I'm going to say here, but a couple of things to keep in mind:

- The CA-14 cards are not very sensitive. I don't have them, but my CA-11s are around 16 dB less sensitive than the Roland R-05's internal mics.

- LineIN@40 is 7 dB quieter than MicLow@40, and 26 dB quieter than MicHI@40!

- In my experience, a battery box (depending on maker), might attenuate the signal by 1 dB or so.

So just to make sure you're REALLY not getting a signal, you should turn PiP off, connect the CA-14s to the BB and then to the MIC input, and use the highest gain you possibly can (MicHi@80). This will give you a gain of +46  dB, which should be enough for you to hear yourself speak next to the microphones. If you can't hear anything, I'm afraid the BB is not working.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2024, 06:10:10 AM by Rairun »
archive.org/details/@rairun

Offline joeldotc

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2024, 10:43:23 AM »
So just to make sure you're REALLY not getting a signal, you should turn PiP off, connect the CA-14s to the BB and then to the MIC input, and use the highest gain you possibly can (MicHi@80). This will give you a gain of +46  dB, which should be enough for you to hear yourself speak next to the microphones. If you can't hear anything, I'm afraid the BB is not working.

Just tried this - I do get input when I have it like this, but my voice is below  -40db. When I'm playing music as loud as possible directly into the mics, they get up to like -30db.

For comparison, when I plug the mics directly into the MIC input with 1.2 V PiP (I cranked it up from 0.9 V), my voice pretty much gets right up to 0db and the music is completely clipping. So it doesn't seem like the BB is providing any power to the mics.

Not sure if anyone has a UBB to compare, but I attached a picture of mine with labels added. Seems weird to me that the POS terminal lines up with the output of the battery box and the NEG terminal lines up with the mics, but I can't see under the shrink wrap so I can't be sure.

EDIT: Just tried doing the same setup (PiP off, CA14>UBB>MIC input) and tried unplugging the battery while playing music into the mics. The levels immediately went up (not as high as with PiP on, but still) when the battery was unplugged. This gave the same levels as CA14>MIC without PiP turned on. So yeah, seems like the battery connection is wrong.  :(
« Last Edit: February 25, 2024, 11:09:02 AM by joeldotc »

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • If you ain't right, you better get right!
    • The Mudboy Grotto - North Mississippi Allstar fan site
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2024, 11:03:31 AM »
For less than the loudest music, in my experience, you need to run mic in on the recorder. The BB can supply power without amplifying the signal. It is not a preamp. I think it is working as expected.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2024, 11:09:37 AM by vanark »
If you have a problem relating to the Live Music Archive (http://www.archive.org/details/etree) please send an e-mail to us admins at LMA(AT)archive(DOT)org or post in the LMA thread here and we'll get on it.

Link to LMA Recordings

Link to Team Dirty South Recordings on the LMA

Mics: Microtech Gefell M21 (with Nbob actives) | Church Audio CA-11 (cards) (with CA UBB)
Pres: babynbox
Recorders: Tascam DR-60D | Tascam DR-40 | Sony PCM-A10 | Edirol R-4

Offline joeldotc

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2024, 11:12:47 AM »
For less than the loudest music, in my experience, you need to run mic in on the recorder. The BB can supply power without amplifying the signal. It is not a preamp. I think it is working as expected.

See my update on my last message. The battery actually reduces levels when I plug it into MIC input with PiP off. Also, I'm expecting the shows I'm seeing to be really loud, so I don't think MIC input is the best option.

If I cant get this sorted by the day of the show, I'll run the mics into MIC input with the PiP up, but I imagine I'll get some distortion since Chris Church seems to recommend that his mics always receive 9V for loud stuff.

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2024, 11:14:13 AM »
Unplugging the battery doesn't mean you are using the mics without power. It is more likely you are getting signal from the built-in mics at that point. Sorry, but I think you are confusing what the BB is supposed to be doing. It seems it is doing exactly what it should.
If you have a problem relating to the Live Music Archive (http://www.archive.org/details/etree) please send an e-mail to us admins at LMA(AT)archive(DOT)org or post in the LMA thread here and we'll get on it.

Link to LMA Recordings

Mics: Microtech Gefell M21 (with Nbob actives) | Church Audio CA-11 (cards) (with CA UBB)

Offline joeldotc

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2024, 11:20:22 AM »
I can tell you it's not the built-in mics. If I tap on the internal mics, it doesn't register anything, but if I tap on the CA14s then it picks up audio.

Further, I can't crank the gain any higher than it is - I'm playing music as loud as possible directly into the mics, I could be wrong, but surely the levels would be higher than -30dB -40dB?
« Last Edit: February 25, 2024, 11:23:48 AM by joeldotc »

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2024, 11:25:15 AM »
Line in or mic in on the recorder? What is the input set at?

If you are line in at anything other than near max, you are getting what I would expect.

Link to LMA Recordings

Offline joeldotc

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2024, 11:32:17 AM »
I'm going mic in, input at 80/80 with the Gain on hi - literally maxed out.

Here, I recorded music playing directly into the mic, then halfway through disconnected the battery from the UBB. You can see the peak in the middle which is me unplugging the battery. Left of that peak is CA14>UBB>MIC and the right side is the same with the battery disconnected. Clearly, nothing is getting through the UBB with the battery plugged into the UBB even with the gain as high as possible.

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2024, 11:40:44 AM »
Definitely something wrong. I would try to have Chris diagnose it.

Where are you located? You can use my UBB if you are local to Boston.

Link to LMA Recordings

Offline joeldotc

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2024, 11:45:47 AM »
Yeah - I emailed him about it but haven't heard back yet (to be fair, its a weekend). Little frustrating because I ordered this stuff well over a month ago but only received em on Friday - the shows I'm most excited to tape are next week :(

And thanks that's very kind of you! Unfortunately I'm in Ottawa and the shows I'm seeing are in Toronto/Kingston.

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2024, 11:53:21 AM »
Chris has a notoriously poor reputation for customer service. Good luck.

Link to LMA Recordings

Offline Rairun

• Taperssection Regular
    • my recordings
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2024, 12:41:19 PM »
Yeah - I emailed him about it but haven't heard back yet (to be fair, its a weekend). Little frustrating because I ordered this stuff well over a month ago but only received em on Friday - the shows I'm most excited to tape are next week :(

And thanks that's very kind of you! Unfortunately I'm in Ottawa and the shows I'm seeing are in Toronto/Kingston.

I've bought from Chris before, and while the mics did eventually arrive, you shouldn't trust any timeline he gives you. He might say the mics will be posted tomorrow, next week or next month -- but this has no bearing on when he is actually going to do it. Also, his battery boxes and pre-amps are pretty good, but he builds them in such a way that it isn't practical for you to repair them yourself. I once had an issue with my pre-amp, but when I opened the plastic casing, the entire circuit was covered in glue. Couldn't reach the failing contacts even if I tried. You're going to have to send the UBB back, and it will take however long he wants it to take.

How loud are the shows you are planning to record? I wouldn't recommend not using a pre-amp or battery box, but when my pre-amp failed, I ran the mics straight into a Zoom H1 (2.5V PiP), and the recording turned out just fine.

Offline joeldotc

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2024, 01:22:37 PM »
I've bought from Chris before, and while the mics did eventually arrive, you shouldn't trust any timeline he gives you. He might say the mics will be posted tomorrow, next week or next month -- but this has no bearing on when he is actually going to do it. Also, his battery boxes and pre-amps are pretty good, but he builds them in such a way that it isn't practical for you to repair them yourself. I once had an issue with my pre-amp, but when I opened the plastic casing, the entire circuit was covered in glue. Couldn't reach the failing contacts even if I tried. You're going to have to send the UBB back, and it will take however long he wants it to take.

How loud are the shows you are planning to record? I wouldn't recommend not using a pre-amp or battery box, but when my pre-amp failed, I ran the mics straight into a Zoom H1 (2.5V PiP), and the recording turned out just fine.

Yeah... he was good for me for the most part, but I was really pestering him to get my stuff shipped. Hopefully I can figure it out soon with him - especially since this is just a defective device. I would get some sound pros gear if getting them to Canada wasn't so expensive.

I'm seeing Godspeed You! Black Emperor, so it'll definitely be really loud. If the Zoom H1n provides 2.5V I think I'll go borrow one from the university library (they also have H4n Pros but the jack on those is in a terrible spot + I imagine they're also 2.5V) to use for these shows. Even though I've heard their preamps arent as good as the r-05, I think the extra PiP is more valuable (especially for a loud show). My other recorder is a DR-40 which doesn't have a 3.5mm jack either :(

Gonna be taping a few other bands later this year so I'm hoping to get this sorted soon.

Offline Rairun

• Taperssection Regular
    • my recordings
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2024, 04:43:28 PM »
Yeah... he was good for me for the most part, but I was really pestering him to get my stuff shipped. Hopefully I can figure it out soon with him - especially since this is just a defective device. I would get some sound pros gear if getting them to Canada wasn't so expensive.

I'm seeing Godspeed You! Black Emperor, so it'll definitely be really loud. If the Zoom H1n provides 2.5V I think I'll go borrow one from the university library (they also have H4n Pros but the jack on those is in a terrible spot + I imagine they're also 2.5V) to use for these shows. Even though I've heard their preamps arent as good as the r-05, I think the extra PiP is more valuable (especially for a loud show). My other recorder is a DR-40 which doesn't have a 3.5mm jack either :(

Gonna be taping a few other bands later this year so I'm hoping to get this sorted soon.

I'm pretty sure the Zoom H1 uses the same preamp as the H1n, and it is actually a better preamp than the R-05 at a very specific setting. Basically, the Zoom H1's levels go from 0 to 100. 0 to 15 is digital attenuation. 16 is unity gain. 17 to 36 adds gain, but the noise floor increases at the same exact amount as the gain. Then from level 36 to 37, you can clearly notice a HUGE decrease in hiss, despite level 37 adding more gain than level 36. That's apparently when the low-noise gain circuitry kicks in. Then from 38 to 100, you do get more gain, but you also get the same amount of noise. So level 37 (which amounts to +13 dB) is the setting you should use unless you are in danger of clipping. If you were using the internal mics, GYBE would definitely clip -- but since the Church Audio mics are ~15 dB less sensitive than the internals, you should be good. I taped Mogwai last year (with a preamp for power, but set to 0 gain; the Zoom H1 was set to 37), and the recording peaked at -4 dBFS or so during My Father My King.

When the Roland R-05 is set to +13 dB (~LineIN@80 or ~MicLow@50 or ~MicHi@15 [not recommended because anything under 18 gives you harmonic distortion]) you actually get a much worse signal to noise ratio than with the Zoom H1 at 37. The Roland R-05 only gets a significantly better signal to noise ratio from MicHi@40 on, which isn't a useful range for very loud shows.

This is the little table I use to figure out which settings I should use with each recorder:

Now, the Zoom H1N uses the same preamp, but instead of the digital 0-100 level settings, it uses a 0-10 physical dial to set gain. The principle is the same, but I hear the 'clear' gain (equivalent to 37 on the H1) kicks in just after the 6 mark. You can easily hear it with headphones, so I suggest you set it beforehand. Honestly, you will be totally fine IF your mics don't overload due to insufficient voltage, but there isn't much you can do about that right now. It's worth a try.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2024, 04:59:48 PM by Rairun »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.122 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com