Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Panasonic Lumix DC-ZS200 (edit: mostly about ZS100 though)  (Read 115877 times)

Offline guitard

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Panasonic Lumix DC-ZS200 (edit: mostly about ZS100 though)
« Reply #135 on: April 20, 2020, 11:41:49 AM »
P&S can be way easier to get into a show that has metal/bag search...

this

i already have a DSLR. not looking for that, ans many (most?) venues specifically prohibit "professional" cameras, and detachable lens is usually the ba for 'professional'

For sure -- with only a few exceptions, you don't even have to hide a P&S camera when entering.  Not to mention, since you can film openly with a P&S, you don't have to hide in the cheap seats to avoid security -- you can film from right up in the front.
Mics: Schoeps MK41s & MK41Vs >:D
Pre-amps: BabyNbox & Platinum Nbox
Deck: Sony A10

Video: Canon HF G70 (4K), Sony FDR AX100 (4K), Pany ZS100 (4K)
Photo: Canon EOS 7D w/ Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L is III USM

A/V software: Sony Vegas Pro 18 (build 527) 64 bit / DVD Architect Pro 6.0 (build 237)

Offline robeti

• Trade Count: (39)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #136 on: April 24, 2020, 05:43:19 PM »
Not always. Depends on the show,the venue and on how much you film.

But in general, yes. Whole lot easier than a camcorder for all of those reasons.
mics schoeps mk22/mk4/mk41 (matched) | nakamichi cm-300 (JB mod/cp1/cp2/cp3) | nakamichi cm-50 | primo em4052pmi4's | sp-cmc-4u/at-853 4.7k mod (shotguns/h/c/sc/o) | ca-11 c/o | ca-14 c
power ca-ubb | ca-9200 | nbob actives > baby nbox | schoeps cmbi (pair)
recorder roland r-05 
video panasonic zs100 | panasonic hdc-sd600 | sony hx9v | sony hx50v | samsung s23 ultra
playback fiio m17 > final d8000

Offline tapeheadtoo

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
    • My Dime stuff
« Reply #137 on: April 25, 2020, 07:38:08 AM »
I've been lurking in this thread for a while.

I love my ZS100 for all the reasons detailed here... the manual settings, the ease of carry-in for most (but not all) bands/venues, the unlimited recording hack.  That being said there's one thing it lacks which a camcorder (or at least a good/prosumer one) has:  A smooth and precise controllable zoom.  There's no substitute for a nice slow zoom in or out especially in combination with panning.  I find that jerky "stepwise" effect of P&S's to be jarring.  I do understand that given the limited real estate there's just no space for a more complex mechanism.

Of course that's only if you're looking for that sort of effect.  For a fixed shot the ZS100 can't be beat.  And for multi cam projects it's simple enough to edit close and wide shots together. 

I like having multiple cameras in my arsenal; they each have their pros and cons. For sure, there are places where a camcorder won't fly and the ZS100 is perfect.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2020, 08:00:32 AM by tapeheadtoo »
Mics: Schoeps MK4, DPA 4061, AT953, Shure MV88
Preamps/BB: Nbox, tinybox, ST-9100, CA-UGLY, SP-SPSB-10
Recorders: In use--Teenage Engineering TX6, Tascam DR-2d, Sony PCM-A10, Zoom L-20R; collecting dust--Sony M10, Ediirol R-09, Zoom H4n, Zoom H6, Cymatic LR16
Video: In use--Panasonic VX981, Panasonic ZS100, GoPro Hero 10/11; collecting dust--Sony HDR-CX520V, Sony HX9V, Panasonic ZS3/ZS7

Offline guitard

« Reply #138 on: April 25, 2020, 08:33:40 AM »
there's one thing it lacks which a camcorder (or at least a good/prosumer one) has:  A smooth and precise controllable zoom.  There's no substitute for a nice slow zoom in or out especially in combination with panning.  I find that jerky "stepwise" effect of P&S's to be jarring.  I do understand that given the limited real estate there's just no space for a more complex mechanism.

Have you tried using the zoom slider bar on the LED screen (that you control by vertically sliding up and down with your right thumb)?  Once you get the hang of it, you can get a fairly smooth zoom in/out with minimal jerky stepping effect.  I originally posted this picture to show how to focus by tapping the auto-focus button while filming in manual mode (red circle).  But you can see the slider bar to which I'm referring -- it's on the right side of the LED (white rectangular button in the middle of it).  It has two speeds -- single white triangle is slow, and double white triangle is fast.  To get the camera to display it, tap the camera icon/tab (top tab) and then tap the TW button (top right corner). 

I'm not trying to suggest this is anywhere close to a quality camcorder's zoom function; because it definitely isn't.  But it's a lot better than a typical P&S's zoom rocker (which the ZS100 also has -- co-located with the on/off button -- the use of which can lead to accidentally turning the camera off in the middle of shooting a show).

« Last Edit: June 25, 2020, 09:00:51 AM by guitard »

A/V software: Sony Vegas Pro 18 (build 527) 64 bit / DVD Architect Pro 6.0 (build 237)

Offline beatkilla

• Trade Count: (70)
« Reply #139 on: April 25, 2020, 10:48:02 AM »
I just can't get it to respond properly when using the touch screen zoom function,i tried many times.

To bad there is no focus limiter on this camera.

Offline tapeheadtoo

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
    • My Dime stuff
« Reply #140 on: April 25, 2020, 06:16:07 PM »

Thank you for pointing out this out. You're right, the touch screen zoom offers a bit more control.  I find that pressing and holding (rather than sliding) on the single triangle works better.  The hard rocker control seems to have the speed of the double triangles which is way too fast.  I'll try to remember this next time.

I'm mourning the loss (due to postponement) of over two dozen shows I was planning to attend in the next few months, a few of which I was going to video.   :(

there's one thing it lacks which a camcorder (or at least a good/prosumer one) has:  A smooth and precise controllable zoom.  There's no substitute for a nice slow zoom in or out especially in combination with panning.  I find that jerky "stepwise" effect of P&S's to be jarring.  I do understand that given the limited real estate there's just no space for a more complex mechanism.

Have you tried using the zoom slider bar on the LED screen (that you control by vertically sliding up and down with your right thumb)?  Once you get the hang of it, you can get a fairly smooth zoom in/out with minimal jerky stepping effect.  I originally posted this picture to show how to focus by tapping the auto-focus button while filming in manual mode (red circle).  But you can see the slider bar to which I'm referring -- it's on the right side of the LED (white rectangular button in the middle of it).  It has two speeds -- single white triangle is slow, and double white triangle is fast.  To get the camera to display it, tap the camera icon/tab (top tab) and then tap the TW button (top right corner). 

I'm not trying to suggest this is anywhere close to a quality camcorder's zoom function; because it definitely isn't.  But it's a lot better than a typical P&S's zoom rocker (which the ZS100 also has -- co-located with the on/off button -- the use of which can lead to accidentally turning the camera off in the middle of shooting a show).

Mics: Schoeps MK4, DPA 4061, AT953, Shure MV88
Preamps/BB: Nbox, tinybox, ST-9100, CA-UGLY, SP-SPSB-10
Recorders: In use--Teenage Engineering TX6, Tascam DR-2d, Sony PCM-A10, Zoom L-20R; collecting dust--Sony M10, Ediirol R-09, Zoom H4n, Zoom H6, Cymatic LR16
Video: In use--Panasonic VX981, Panasonic ZS100, GoPro Hero 10/11; collecting dust--Sony HDR-CX520V, Sony HX9V, Panasonic ZS3/ZS7

Offline guitard

« Reply #141 on: April 26, 2020, 12:14:16 PM »
I'm mourning the loss (due to postponement) of over two dozen shows I was planning to attend in the next few months, a few of which I was going to video.   :(

Back in February, I thought my light March concert schedule (only one show) was going to be the only casualty ... but as everyone now knows, we'll be lucky to see any shows through the end of May.  Who knows how it's going to turn out, but one venue I go to a lot has recently scheduled a show for June 19 (not a rescheduled date - but a new date).  Fingers crossed~!!

One thing that I find really annoying are the shows that now are listed as "New 2021 date to be announced -- keep your tickets."  I want the option of getting a refund instead of waiting for a year and then maybe not being able to go because of a scheduling conflict, etc.

Offline robeti

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #142 on: June 23, 2020, 05:10:56 PM »
Ordered a zs100 this week. Can't wait to do the hack and film a show with it!
mics schoeps mk22/mk4/mk41 (matched) | nakamichi cm-300 (JB mod/cp1/cp2/cp3) | nakamichi cm-50 | primo em4052pmi4's | sp-cmc-4u/at-853 4.7k mod (shotguns/h/c/sc/o) | ca-11 c/o | ca-14 c
recorder roland r-05 
video panasonic zs100 | panasonic hdc-sd600 | sony hx9v | sony hx50v | samsung s23 ultra

Offline DavidPuddy

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • If it's too loud, turn it down.
« Reply #143 on: June 23, 2020, 05:43:07 PM »

Here's a clamp that I use with mine. It works quite well.

https://tinyurl.com/yamjw3se

Not sure if I shared this or not, but here's a set from a show I filmed using the settings shared in this thread: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FH4epL05h9I
Mics: mk4v/mk41v/mk22 > CMC1L/Nbobs, 4061, MKE2
Preamps: Mixpre-D, Nbox Platinum ABS
Recorders: Mixpre-6 ii, PCM-A10

Offline Papaphunk

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #144 on: June 25, 2020, 03:47:31 PM »

Same here! Just arrived yesterday. Haven't really dabbled in video much except for Phone Vid's at Shows - looking forward to getting up to speed here.
AKG CK-61 / CK-62 / CK-63  > AKG c480b / c460b Bodies
ZOOM H6 - TASCAM DR-100MKII & III

1500+ Recordings Uploaded to Archive: https://archive.org/details/@papaphunk

Offline Papaphunk

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #145 on: June 25, 2020, 03:51:47 PM »

Here's a clamp that I use with mine. It works quite well.

https://tinyurl.com/yamjw3se

thanks! Just grabbed one.

Offline edtyre

• Trade Count: (85)
  • Team Philly " No Excuses, Just Tapes"
« Reply #146 on: June 26, 2020, 10:52:16 AM »

Same here! Just arrived yesterday. Haven't really dabbled in video much except for Phone Vid's at Shows - looking forward to getting up to speed here.

Good luck, worse move i ever made buying a decent camera :-)
Now i'm addicted to audio and video!
music>mics>pre>recorder

Offline guitard

« Reply #147 on: June 26, 2020, 11:19:56 AM »

I started out as video only and then started recording audio also; because even if you know someone else is going to record audio, you never know how it's going to turn out.

Offline Papaphunk

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #148 on: June 26, 2020, 03:00:13 PM »

thx for the "hack" video. I got it to work, hoping to test out some extended 4K video options this weekend.

Offline robeti

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #149 on: June 26, 2020, 03:53:06 PM »

haha nice. For me it all started with video. Now that I have pretty decent mics, my videos are so much better.
recorder roland r-05 

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.076 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com