Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Re-use miniDV tapes?  (Read 3204 times)

Offline Massive Dynamic

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • 20 years of the best in apocalyptic gothic metal
Re-use miniDV tapes?
« on: August 25, 2010, 10:27:00 PM »
I'm pretty sure I know what advice I'll get, but I'm wondering if it is safe to re-use 80 minute tapes. I've got a show coming up that may last longer than 90 minutes, and I don't have any more 80 min tapes. Am I likely to get dropouts? The tape is a Sony DVM80.
Naiant X-X > SP-SPSB-1 > M10
Superlux S502 > Denecke PS-2 > Hosa MIT-435 > M10

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Re-use miniDV tapes?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2010, 10:42:56 PM »
i seemed to get drop outs a lot the few times i reused tapes
if worse came to worse i would do it but not something i would recommend
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline dave570

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2010, 11:11:39 AM »
Done this a few times when a show I was filming went longer than I expected .  Never had a drop out.  But I only use 60 minute tapes.  Never even tried to use anything longer.

Offline newvideo

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2010, 01:39:26 AM »
It might work just fine.

Or it might not.

The way I think about it - the single CHEAPEST critical component on my set will likely be the tape.

Even if it's just the opportunity cost of your TIME - why risk either a lost scene or even program failure by finding out the 2 cents worth of tape that ran through your camera capturing the work of all the people on the set is the reason you've got nothing to show for everyone's efforts?

Perspective thing, IMO.

Offline gearscout

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2010, 11:06:52 AM »
Reality Check...

1. The Mini-DV tapes made today can be re-used, there's absolutely no doubt about it.  How many times?  Depends on the quality and thickness of the original tape stock and how they have been stored.
     • 60 minute tapes are somewhat thicker, heavier in design (less stretching and folding) and will last longer.  A 30 minute tape is the same mil thickness, so no savings there.
     • Tapes that are "stretched" or fast-forwarded and rewound will likely work better the first time through the camera
     • Tapes that are properly stored in a cool, dry location and shielded from dust, sand and extremes of hot and cold will recycle better

2.  Typically, "drop out" is a greater function of camera heads that have not been cleaned or have been cleaned improperly, leaving chemicals or scarring on the heads themselves.  That's right...it usually isn't the tape that causes the drop out, it's the camera heads!

I wouldn't hesitate to recycle a camera tape 3 times if my heads are clean and the good quality tape has been properly cared for in the field and in storage.

In real world use, those DV tapes are my archive backup.  But there are times that I have recycled them if entire tapes have been digitized and the master material is safely stored on hard drives.

Offline digitallive

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2010, 10:47:29 PM »
i've noticed when i re-use tapes sometimes the camera won't read the new recording at all. i'll have to FF the tape to the very end, then rewind it, and then the time code will show. i'll have to stop the tape and start the capture before the beginning of the time code or it'll read the tape as blank again. one tape i had would read blank if rewound past 19 minutes, so i couldnt use the first 19 min of the tape. luckily it was 1 of 5 angles filmed for the show, and a static angle at that, so no big deal.

i've phased out all old cameras that use miniDV tapes anyway. looking @ my storage, there's easily 300 miniDV tapes there. Figure 300x$3 a pieace, almost a grand in miniDV tapes from the past 4 years. Long term, SD memory cards are much, much cheaper.

Offline s1rrah

• Taperssection Newbie
    • The Gods of Victory.
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2010, 05:45:37 AM »
Great question, BTW.

I have had decent luck with re use. Most, if any, audio drop outs I've had have generally had mostly to do with my camera and not the tape.

I've taped over the same tape up to fiver or six times and generally it works just fine.

But? YMMV.

Offline mr qpl

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2010, 10:08:03 AM »
ditto on the reuse. I use mine MANY times over for video of construction accident sites ------after transfer to dvd, tape over them maybe a dozen times, then toss. No audio or video problems using budget tapes and a cheap camcorder.

I think there is something wrong with your recorder, I would suggest trying to return it if still on warranty.

Offline beatkilla

• Trade Count: (70)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2010, 11:58:14 AM »
From my experience dropouts seem more common with HDV than with standard def.I cant imagine reusing a tape 12 times for hidef with no dropouts.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.068 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com