Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Checking (possibly inverted) phase in Audacity?  (Read 4809 times)

Offline Xpanding Man

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Homer meditate now
Checking (possibly inverted) phase in Audacity?
« on: February 24, 2012, 05:20:08 PM »
Tonedeaf kindly pointed out that the first recording I made with the new Busmans (and the first thing I've posted to the archive in YEARS) is out of phase  :( 

Did some searching and couldn't find anything that would indicate I could use Audacity to check and reverse if this is happening in other recordings...I've used the TLs > V3 many times now and never noticed any of the "tinnyness" that I hear on the suspect recording, plus the v3 has been to Grace for the polarity fix so I highly doubt it's the V3 that's out of phase between channels, but would like to confirm before I send anything back to Busman by also analyzing some my TL > V3 recordings

If Audacity doesn't do this, is there a cheap (read: free) alternative for either Mac or Windows?  I am quite possibly in the market for a standard PC that will never see the internet, for exclusive use as a rendering / editing maching.  My Mac is like Danny Glover - it's getting too old for this shit :)

Thanks
The ships of state sail on mirage & drown in sand (R.Hunter)

open: Busman Actives / ADK TL's / MK012s > V3 > DR70 / iRiver
stealth: AT 943 > Church Uglybox > Tascam DR2

Being Taped: 
Guitars: PRS Custom 24, Olsondoc (Languedoc Copy), Mod Midi Strat, SG, 335, etc. 
Effects: Too many
Amps: Fender Hot Rod Deluxe II
Acoustics: Martin D-35 / Gitane DG-250 (Selmer Style) / Kick-Ass German Archtop (Glasl)

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • #TeamRetired
Re: Checking (possibly inverted) phase in Audacity?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2012, 05:26:27 PM »
The easiest way I found when I was using audacity was to find a lone snare or kickdrum thump and look at the wave form. If they go the same way, then it's not polarity, if they go opposite directions then you have an issue. Now I've heard it enough I can generally listen for to get an idea of when I should flip a channel to test it.

While rare, it's not unheard of for a pair of mics to be out of polarity to each other. It's happened before here.

Now, if it's not a 180 degree phase issue, then I'd be curious how Steve picked it out (I haven't heard samples of said recording, so maybe it's audible).
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline rjp

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2012, 07:25:37 PM »
There's an "Invert" effect available in the Effects menu. If you need to invert one channel, you'll need to split the stereo track first, then select the entire track to reverse, and use Effects->Invert.
Mics: AKG Perception 170, Naiant X-X, Sound Professionals SP-TFB-2
Preamps: Naiant Littlebox
Recorders: Olympus LS-10
Interfaces: Focusrite Saffire Pro 14, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2

Offline Xpanding Man

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Homer meditate now
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2012, 12:55:52 PM »
The easiest way I found when I was using audacity was to find a lone snare or kickdrum thump and look at the wave form. If they go the same way, then it's not polarity, if they go opposite directions then you have an issue. Now I've heard it enough I can generally listen for to get an idea of when I should flip a channel to test it.

While rare, it's not unheard of for a pair of mics to be out of polarity to each other. It's happened before here.

Now, if it's not a 180 degree phase issue, then I'd be curious how Steve picked it out (I haven't heard samples of said recording, so maybe it's audible).

thanks, that worked!  compared to my TL's recent pulls and those are in phase using the same analysis...time to talk to Chris!
The ships of state sail on mirage & drown in sand (R.Hunter)

open: Busman Actives / ADK TL's / MK012s > V3 > DR70 / iRiver
stealth: AT 943 > Church Uglybox > Tascam DR2

Being Taped: 
Guitars: PRS Custom 24, Olsondoc (Languedoc Copy), Mod Midi Strat, SG, 335, etc. 
Effects: Too many
Amps: Fender Hot Rod Deluxe II
Acoustics: Martin D-35 / Gitane DG-250 (Selmer Style) / Kick-Ass German Archtop (Glasl)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.061 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com