Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: calibrating MME with V2  (Read 2558 times)

Offline Big Perm

• Trade Count: (67)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Rage, Rest, work a lot, Repeat
calibrating MME with V2
« on: September 28, 2009, 09:02:13 PM »
I just picked up a MME and am using it for AD purposes only. I run a V2 in front of it.  I need to calibrate the gain on the MME (little damn screwdriver knobs).  Any suggestions...I do not want to have to do this at the show!
thx
bp
Mics: Schoeps mk4v| mk41v | mk22 | mk8 & mk5 (m/s)
         Schoeps m222> nt222dc (x2)
         Schoeps cmc 1k (x2)
         Schoeps vst62iu (x2)
         Schoeps KCY 250/5 IG (x2) Schoeps KC 5g (x2)
         DPA 4015c
Pre’s: Sonosax SX-M2D2
         Aeta PSP-3
         E.A.A. PSP-2
Recorder: Sonosax sx-r4+, SD702, Sony m10

Offline skaggs

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: calibrating MME with V2
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2009, 09:51:09 PM »
Hey big Perm,

i suggest cranking your stereo and practicing there.  the cal-pots are not calibrated as i understand it so you have to get a feel for it.  small turns each side, and i mean small.  i ran 118>mme>dap1 for about 3 years.  i have never run it out of a soundboard, but i got pretty used to using the mme with mics.  take it slow, and remember that banging the occasional reds is actually ok.  your deck will show over, when the mme is not clipping.  it has a ton of head room.  i think the a/d is one of the best, and i understand why you got it.  Since i have bought a p2 and went tapeless, i only run it occasionally anymore, like at lobos shows when i have access to sound check.  you will get the feel of it, but really small turns, or you will spike one side or the other.  good luck, should be a good combo with the v2.

richard

Offline baustin

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2009, 02:59:57 AM »
Outdated but still the same ideas

http://sonicsense.com/calpage.html
« Last Edit: September 29, 2009, 03:01:52 AM by baustin »

Offline Walstib62

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2009, 09:03:49 AM »
It seems to me that if you want to truly calibrate the unit, that you must have a known value for the input signal. Simply pointing a mic at a pair of speakers and turning up the volume to some arbitrary SPL value does not make much sense. This not a true calibration.

I would be very cautious about messing with the cal. pots without the proper setup.

Offline baustin

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2009, 12:06:04 PM »
Outdated but still the same ideas

http://sonicsense.com/calpage.html

It seems to me that if you want to truly calibrate the unit, that you must have a known value for the input signal. Simply pointing a mic at a pair of speakers and turning up the volume to some arbitrary SPL value does not make much sense. This not a true calibration.

I would be very cautious about messing with the cal. pots without the proper setup.

I've performed this calibration with a slew of gear as have countless others. Simply put, it works.

1 - You definitely need to have loud white noise (ie - FM static) coming through the speakers, not a concert or album.
2 - You need to know your gear... and this comes though field use. This guide is a very good starting point from which you can tweak the levels to your preferences.

Most of don't need true calibration as we are fortunate enough to be able to raise levels in post (ie - we can run conservatively). It will also be a matter of preference... some folks love the sound of a V2 with the red lights pegged on red, others like to get the most out of the MMe or run the SoftLimit feature.

It comes back to getting to know your gear. You'll have to watch the levels for some time before you are truly comfortable enough with the settings that you don't have to stare at your gear all night long.

Offline Walstib62

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2009, 12:50:39 PM »
OK-
If it works for you, that's great. I repair and calibrate electronic instrumentation professionally, so I guess I'm just a stickler for accuracy.

Best of luck to you.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.056 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com