Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: suggestions for a small pre in front of akg460s/AT853  (Read 5508 times)

Offline jeromejello

• Team Florida - always brings the heat
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • surly tapir
suggestions for a small pre in front of akg460s/AT853
« on: March 07, 2006, 04:37:58 PM »
i am looking to get a small (read: stealthable) quality pre to run in front of my akg 460's and more likely, when stealthing, my AT853s.  the 460's are currently not mod'd (although they may at some point).  ultimately the short term goal will be a smoking stealth pre for my ATs... with long term some flavor for the 460s (and eventual dpa when i make the big upgrade).

my first choice has been a mp-2 (or i guess one of the offshoots if necessary), but since my 460's are stock (still kicking the nice transformer sound), i thought there might be too much warmth, to the point of overwhelming or distracting.  so i thought i would ask some of the more slutty types which small pre would be a good fit.  i imagine that just about anything pre-wise will be good infront of my AT853's, but are there ones that work in this combo better than others?

mp-2
mv-100
psp-2
sx-m2
(any other options??)

there is always just adding a ad-20 to my chain - get the gain and adc, but i am also looking towards the future where i can use the pre in front of an all in one box like the r-4 or 744t (since i will need the 4 tracks for a project)

thanks for any and all suggestions...
chris

(edit: typo)
« Last Edit: March 07, 2006, 11:04:54 PM by jeromejello »
open: mbho 603a (ka200n/ka500hn) > SD MP-2 > PCM-M10
stealth: AT853a (o/sc/c/h) > SD MP-2 > ihp120
misc: Earthworks SR77 | Shure VP88

bt & dime

Offline sygdwm

• unknown sleath taper
  • Trade Count: (1)
mics: (4)akg c460b(a60,mk46,ck1x,ck1,ck2,ck3,ck61,ck63)
pres: oade m148/edirol wmod ua5
recorders: marantz stock671/oade acm671/fostex busman vintage fr2le

(P.S.: On a threaded discussion board like this one, there's no need to repeat someone's post when you reply to them; everyone can see all the messages in the thread.)

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • Retired Taper
Re: suggestions for a small pre in front of akg460s/AT853
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2006, 04:58:14 PM »
Aerco MP2
It’s not what you look like when you’re doin’ what you’re doin’, it’s what your doin’ when you’re doin’ what you look like your doin’…express yourself. - Charles Wright

My recordings on the Archive

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2006, 06:01:00 PM »
or just add some line transformers and a modsbm1 ;) that would sound SWEET :)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline terrapinj

• Jonesin' for Tunes
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2006, 08:14:42 PM »
i am looking to get a small (read: stealthable) quality pre to run in front of my akg 460's and more likely, when stealthing, my AT853s.  the 460's are currently not mod'd (although they may at some point).  ultimately the short term goal will be a smoking stealth pre for my ATs... with long term some flavor for the 460s (and eventual dpa when i make the big upgrade).

my first choice has been a mp-2 (or i guess one of the offshoots if necessary), but since my 460's are stock (still kicking the nice transformer sound), i thought there might be too much warmth, to the point of overwhelming or distracting.  so i thought i would ask some of the more slutty types which small pre would be a good fit.  i imagine that just about anything pre-wise will be good infront of my AT853's, but are there ones that work in this combo better than others?

mp-2
mv-100
psp-3
sx-m2
(any other options??)

there is always just adding a ad-20 to my chain - get the gain and adc, but i am also looking towards the future where i can use the pre in front of an all in one box like the r-4 or 744t (since i will need the 4 tracks for a project)

thanks for any and all suggestions...
chris

fwiw - i'm not so sure I really like the mp-2 in front of the modded 460s (if you go that route)
JW mod AKG 460b (ck61/ck63 or mk46/ck1x/ck3x)>  EAA PSP-2 > 722

Segue Dogstar XLRs and Interconnects

ISO: (2) ck2x

Offline jeromejello

• surly tapir
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2006, 11:15:52 PM »
gumbino, you have the mod and suggest the mp-2, and terripinj, you, not so much...  i kinda always thought the mp-2 would be good for the 480 or mod 460 to give back the warmth...

terripin, did you run the mp-2 with stock 460's?  if so, better or worse fit?

bean, i am thinking about a modsbm-1 as an option, but that means an extra box for stealth.  i am currently in the process of getting my transformers worked out, but does the sbm also add clean gain?

the psp-2 has caught my eye with the fluffing, and i think its a tad smaller than the mp-2, which is good.  my concern is the transformer gain may be too much warmth, i still want the akg sizzle, yo.

the sx-m2 might be too much, and frankly, if i was jones for the darkside or neumann sound, i could see splurging for that, but i dont think i really want to walk down that path.

bt & dime

Offline terrapinj

• Jonesin' for Tunes
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2006, 11:25:14 PM »
gumbino, you have the mod and suggest the mp-2, and terripinj, you, not so much...  i kinda always thought the mp-2 would be good for the 480 or mod 460 to give back the warmth...

bean, i am thinking about a modsbm-1 as an option, but that means an extra box for stealth.  i am currently in the process of getting my transformers worked out, but does the sbm also add clean gain?

the psp-2 has caught my eye with the fluffing, and i think its a tad smaller than the mp-2, which is good.  my concern is the transformer gain may be too much warmth, i still want the akg sizzle, yo.

the sx-m2 might be too much, and frankly, if i was jones for the darkside or neumann sound, i could see splurging for that, but i dont think i really want to walk down that path.

I got my mics already modded so I have never run stock 460's

i have run
mod 461 > mp-2 >mSBM-1
mod 461 > mp-2 > bm2p+ ua-5
mod 461 > bm2p+ ua-5

these were different shows, so the comparisons are not exactly scientific, but I liked the sound of the mod 461 > bm2p+ ua-5 best so far. don't get me wrong the other tapes sound really good as well but after hearing the combo with the ua-5 I knew I liked it much better. i thought the mp-2 would be a great combo with the mod 460s for the exact same reason you do, to add some warmth, but I think it doesn't do these mics justice at all. not as much detail and clean sound as I heard with the ua-5. i'm hoping to grab a 722 in the next week or 2 here, but I am a little leary now of the mod 460 > 722 combo. i need to find a really really clean and transparent pre to run behind them. i've heard others say the mod 460>v3 combo is a little bright but I don't know 1st hand. i do know that I fucking love these mics and don't want to get rid of them anytime soon, which should help limit my slutting once I collect my bonus  ;D

Offline Thom Joad

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Team TNT!
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2006, 08:09:08 AM »
Aerco MP2

If you want samples of 46x>AERCO, shoot me a PM

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Retired Taper
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2006, 09:03:16 AM »

i have run
mod 461 > mp-2 >mSBM-1
mod 461 > bm2p+ ua-5

these were different shows, so the comparisons are not exactly scientific, but I liked the sound of the mod 461 > bm2p+ ua-5 best so far. don't get me wrong the other tapes sound really good as well but after hearing the combo with the ua-5 I knew I liked it much better. i thought the mp-2 would be a great combo with the mod 460s for the exact same reason you do, to add some warmth, but I think it doesn't do these mics justice at all. not as much detail and clean sound as I heard with the ua-5. i'm hoping to grab a 722 in the next week or 2 here, but I am a little leary now of the mod 460 > 722 combo. i need to find a really really clean and transparent pre to run behind them. i've heard others say the mod 460>v3 combo is a little bright but I don't know 1st hand. i do know that I fucking love these mics and don't want to get rid of them anytime soon, which should help limit my slutting once I collect my bonus  ;D

Are we all talking the same pre?  I'm talking about the Aerco MP2.  Are you talking about the Sound Devices MP-2 or the Aerco unit Terrapinj? 

I suggested the Aerco because it is often mentioned in the same circle as the M148 & PSP2.  I have run the Mod 460's with the M148 and love it.  I think there's a bonus with going with the Aerco in that you can buy them brand new, and the maker will help customize them in regards to variable gain, xlr in/outs, or xlr in > 1/8" out type of stuff. 

There's something to be said for buying something that is made to order for your needs.  If you want to hold off for a bit, I know Hammerhorror is expecting to get his new Aerco MP2 in the mail this week, and he just bought some Mod 460 bodies from me.  I would imagine in a few weeks after he gets his caps, there will be some great tapes to listen to.
It’s not what you look like when you’re doin’ what you’re doin’, it’s what your doin’ when you’re doin’ what you look like your doin’…express yourself. - Charles Wright

Offline terrapinj

• Jonesin' for Tunes
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2006, 10:35:22 AM »

i have run
mod 461 > mp-2 >mSBM-1
mod 461 > bm2p+ ua-5

Are we all talking the same pre?  I'm talking about the Aerco MP2.  Are you talking about the Sound Devices MP-2 or the Aerco unit Terrapinj? 

I suggested the Aerco because it is often mentioned in the same circle as the M148 & PSP2.  I have run the Mod 460's with the M148 and love it.  I think there's a bonus with going with the Aerco in that you can buy them brand new, and the maker will help customize them in regards to variable gain, xlr in/outs, or xlr in > 1/8" out type of stuff. 

There's something to be said for buying something that is made to order for your needs.  If you want to hold off for a bit, I know Hammerhorror is expecting to get his new Aerco MP2 in the mail this week, and he just bought some Mod 460 bodies from me.  I would imagine in a few weeks after he gets his caps, there will be some great tapes to listen to.

sound devices

Offline jeromejello

• surly tapir
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2006, 03:14:51 PM »
i also was referring to the sound devices mp-2... i had forgotten that the aerco can also be referred to as mp-2.

+t to the thread, thanks for the help... any one else want to chime in... trolls?  >:D

bt & dime

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Retired Taper
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2006, 03:55:21 PM »
In case you haven't seen this thread on the Aerco MP2.  It's tiny at a little over 1.5" x 3" x 4".  I'm really curious to hear Hammerhorror's recordings with this box. 

cmoorevt

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2006, 05:27:32 PM »
In case you haven't seen this thread on the Aerco MP2.  It's tiny at a little over 1.5" x 3" x 4".  I'm really curious to hear Hammerhorror's recordings with this box. 

Alternatively, if you check out archive.org/audio and type 'aerco akg' into the search, you'll get a bunch of hits and even more hits if you just type 'aerco'.  Don't think there are any 460>aerco sources, but enough from other mics to give you an idea.

Offline terrapinj

• Jonesin' for Tunes
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2006, 05:47:21 PM »

shoulda clarified the sound devices part from the get go, my bad

i'm interested to hear as well

Offline bconnolly

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Serious Business
    • Serious Business
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2006, 01:04:42 PM »
Thank you for this thread.  Up until now I was very confused as to why there were two companies making the same box.  ;D

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.214 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com