Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: UA-5 Questions...  (Read 2294 times)

Offline justink

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
UA-5 Questions...
« on: January 11, 2007, 01:27:40 PM »
i've read the FAQ and as many threads as i can on this box, but still have some questions...

1.)  my box is stock/unmodded... looking to use for phantom only at this point, going analog out.  regarding the mods that bman is doing:  do they affect the A/D only, or bump up the pre (power) too?  all these mods confuse me a bit.

2.)  someone mentioned that the UA-5 must first do an internal A/D stage, then another D/A stage before going analog out.  can someone confirm this?  what can be done to make a clean (straight) analog out?  if i chose to utilize the internal A/D later by doing a DIY digi-mod, can this be corrected at that time?

thanks for any help.

-j
Mics:
DPA 4023 (Cardioid)
DPA 4028 (Subcardioid)
DPA 4018V (Supercardioid)
Earthworks TC25 (Omni) 

Pres and A/D's:
Grace Design Lunatec V3 (Oade ACM)
Edirol UA-5 (bm2p+ Mod)

Recorders:
Sound Devices MixPre10 II
Edirol R-44 (Oade CM)
Sony PCM‑M10

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: UA-5 Questions...
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2007, 01:37:07 PM »
regarding the mods that bman is doing:  do they affect the A/D only, or bump up the pre (power) too?  all these mods confuse me a bit.

The Busman and Oade Bros mods update the analog components in front of the ADC.  They reduce noise and change the sonic characteristics of the "preamp" section of the UA5, hence the different (at least Oade Bros) descriptors:  Warm, Presence, Transparent, etc.

2.)  someone mentioned that the UA-5 must first do an internal A/D stage, then another D/A stage before going analog out.  can someone confirm this?

Confirmed.  Check out the block diagram on the top of the unit or in the User Manual.

what can be done to make a clean (straight) analog out?

Someone with more tech knowledge will have to provide better detail if you want it, but you'd basically have to re-route the analog input signal to bypass the ADC and DAC (or wire in parallel) and pass the signal straight through to the analog outputs.  IMO, if you want just a preamp, use just a preamp rather than modding the UA5.

if i chose to utilize the internal A/D later by doing a DIY digi-mod, can this be corrected at that time?

If it can be done, it can be un-done (if done properly in the first place).
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline justink

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2007, 03:30:48 PM »
2.)  someone mentioned that the UA-5 must first do an internal A/D stage, then another D/A stage before going analog out.  can someone confirm this?

Confirmed.  Check out the block diagram on the top of the unit or in the User Manual.

what can be done to make a clean (straight) analog out?

Someone with more tech knowledge will have to provide better detail if you want it, but you'd basically have to re-route the analog input signal to bypass the ADC and DAC (or wire in parallel) and pass the signal straight through to the analog outputs.  IMO, if you want just a preamp, use just a preamp rather than modding the UA5.

so, this shouldn't be a problem going analog out to a R-09?

thanks!  +T

-j
Mics:
DPA 4023 (Cardioid)
DPA 4028 (Subcardioid)
DPA 4018V (Supercardioid)
Earthworks TC25 (Omni) 

Pres and A/D's:
Grace Design Lunatec V3 (Oade ACM)
Edirol UA-5 (bm2p+ Mod)

Recorders:
Sound Devices MixPre10 II
Edirol R-44 (Oade CM)
Sony PCM‑M10

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2007, 03:41:02 PM »
so, this shouldn't be a problem going analog out to a R-09?

Depends on whether one considers running through unnecessary ADC and DAC stages a "problem" or not.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.053 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com