Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: pre amp or battery box for edirol @ loud rock shows?  (Read 3430 times)

Offline tomac

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
pre amp or battery box for edirol @ loud rock shows?
« on: May 12, 2007, 12:02:38 PM »
Hey there.  I have taken the suggestions on the board here about looking into church equip. for a mic to use with my Edirol R-09.  Now I'm wondering if I need to go with his preamp unit or if just a battery box is sufficient.  I'm using the church cardioid microphones at loud rock venues of about 10,000 seats.  I guess the less I carry in the better but I want good quality in the end.  Thanks in advance for your thoughts...

T

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: pre amp or battery box for edirol @ loud rock shows?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2007, 12:21:38 PM »
Hey there.  I have taken the suggestions on the board here about looking into church equip. for a mic to use with my Edirol R-09.  Now I'm wondering if I need to go with his preamp unit or if just a battery box is sufficient.  I'm using the church cardioid microphones at loud rock venues of about 10,000 seats.  I guess the less I carry in the better but I want good quality in the end.  Thanks in advance for your thoughts...

T

If you have an edirol R-09 and my cardioid mics you dont even need a battery box.. You can go right into the R-09 but if your in shows that are not loud you at some time might need a preamp. So I would just get my mics first and see how you make out.. I have plenty of customers that just use my mics with no battery box or preamp, as long as your just taping loud stuff you should be ok.

Chris
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline Nixoo

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2007, 03:28:57 PM »
Anyone, maybe Crhis, got an idea about settings in the situation mentioned? The R-09 gives 3 volts of plug in power right? Is that enough to get a proper load for full dynamics on the mics? If so, should I set the R-09 to mic gain hi or low? With the preamp, I'd use low and gain up using the pre-amp. Also, since the CA preamp has a hipass filter built in, when not using the preamp would you suggest the lowcut on the R-09?
Recorders: Edirol R-09, Zoom H2
Mics: Soundman OKMII Pop, AT853 (4.7k mod), DPA4061, CA11 Cards, CA11 Omi, CA14 Cards
CA-Ugly 2 preamp, SP BB, CA BB
Photo/Video: Panasonic TZ40, Panasonic LX100, Canon 550D

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2007, 03:33:49 PM »
Anyone, maybe Crhis, got an idea about settings in the situation mentioned? The R-09 gives 3 volts of plug in power right? Is that enough to get a proper load for full dynamics on the mics? If so, should I set the R-09 to mic gain hi or low? With the preamp, I'd use low and gain up using the pre-amp. Also, since the CA preamp has a hipass filter built in, when not using the preamp would you suggest the lowcut on the R-09?

When using my mics I suggest you dont use the low cut you dont need it. Unless the music you are recording is ridiculously bottom end heavy..

I wish I knew what the settings were for the R-09 but I dont I have never owned one. I do know that I have customers that record very loud shows from time to time with just the R-09 and my mics..
Chris
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline Nixoo

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2007, 04:40:29 PM »
That was quick :) Thanks, I'll try the no-amp then in my first stealth job!
Mics: Soundman OKMII Pop, AT853 (4.7k mod), DPA4061, CA11 Cards, CA11 Omi, CA14 Cards

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2007, 07:34:03 PM »

When using my mics I suggest you dont use the low cut you dont need it. Unless the music you are recording is ridiculously bottom end heavy..

I wish I knew what the settings were for the R-09 but I don't I have never owned one. I do know that I have customers that record very loud shows from time to time with just the R-09 and my mics..
Chris

Mic input set on 'LOW' sensitivity, NO filter and AUTO level OFF is suggested using these mics for pop/rock venue. 

Remember to TURN MIC POWER ON in the menu if not using external battery box.
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

Offline Nixoo

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2007, 03:34:12 AM »

[/quote]

Mic input set on 'LOW' sensitivity, NO filter and AUTO level OFF is suggested using these mics for pop/rock venue. 

Remember to TURN MIC POWER ON in the menu if not using external battery box.
[/quote]

Thanks for that! I'd give a +T if I had any to give away :)

Offline dominar

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2007, 07:16:10 PM »
Just wanted to say thanks for the useful thread!
My as of yet untested rig: GSAL powered omni w/bat box>Edirol R-09

Offline muziklvr

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2007, 05:28:08 PM »
That was quick :) Thanks, I'll try the no-amp then in my first stealth job!

Did you try this?  Just wondering how it turned out. :)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.083 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com