Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Wave Header / CDWave Question  (Read 1986 times)

Offline admkrk

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm an idiot
Wave Header / CDWave Question
« on: September 27, 2022, 07:35:56 PM »
The other day I moved my rig after the first set to get away from some fans. I was not thinking and just snatched it up without shutting down. During the move the power cut out and I figured that set was toast. Back home, it was still there and copied to the PC without problems. Opened up in Reaper, still no problem. I decided I wanted to try and kill the fan in Rx first, but that said it open fine although it never scanned the waveform and just had a blank window. After trying a bunch of stuff, I tried opening it in Wavelab which refused to open it. OK, try CDWave. That tells me the header and system report different sizes. I tell it to override the header and it says the header says it has a size of zero. That explains the problems with Rx and Wavelab. I guess Reaper and VLC ignore headers. I save it out of CDWave and it looks like I have the same file although it is now a few thousand bytes smaller. It still shows as the same size in MB. I expected a few bytes bigger as it rewrote the header, but am wondering what else got changed to make it smaller.

"the faster you go ahead, the behinder you get"

"If you can drink ram's piss, fuck, you can drink anything"

Offline Chilly Brioschi

• The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool.
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Waiting for the next cladogenetic event, or Godot
    • Oceana North America
Re: Wave Header / CDWave Question
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2022, 06:15:38 AM »
Typically file system causes that, usually no worry
Sometimes due to storage formatting (exFAT, APFS, HPS, NTFS, ext4,...there are many)

RIFF Header information is the number to track
Calculating the MD-5 or a SHA hash number and comparing is the best way to verify file integrity.

Headerless audio can be 'Imported' in many programs, 'Open' uses existing calculations in the header, import does its own, if I understand it correctly.
"Peace is for everyone"
        - Norah Jones

"Music is the drug that won't kill you"
         - Fran Lebowitz

Offline admkrk

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm an idiot
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2022, 05:38:21 PM »
I used d&d in all instances, do not know if that is open or import?

I am sure I could have gone about my business in Reaper and never been the wiser.
"the faster you go ahead, the behinder you get"

"If you can drink ram's piss, fuck, you can drink anything"

Offline capnhook

• All your llamas are belong to us....
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • All your llamas are belong to us....
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2022, 06:10:25 PM »
Thanks bud, your explanation makes a perfect sticky reference for me on how these programs are the first choice to fix these bad headers when they occur.

:coolguy:

Glad it worked out, Kirk.
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.082 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com