Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Orchestra and Concert band recording help needed  (Read 5429 times)

Offline Swampy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • You Worthless Swampy Fool
Orchestra and Concert band recording help needed
« on: December 03, 2003, 08:23:25 PM »
So, Im gonna be recording my school's orchestra and concert bands soon and I need some help. I will be multracking to pc (4 channels). I just want to split omnis a few feet infront, but Im worried about not getting enough of the rear part of the band as the stage is quite deep 20+ feet. Should I worry about that stuff, its percussion, so its loud right??? Anyone have any experence with this kind of stuff?? FWIW, the school theatre seats a little over 1600 i think. I cant get to the rafters to hang anything... My mics are 2 behringer ecm8000(omnis), 2 superlux smk-h8k(cards), and assorted dynamics(sm57s, 58s ect...) THANKS FOR ANY HELP!!!

Offline Swampy

Re:Orchestra and Concert band recording help needed
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2003, 08:52:38 PM »
anyone? ^

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2003, 09:03:01 PM »
anyone? ^

Patience, young grasshopper.  You only posted 30min ago!!
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline Swampy

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2003, 09:09:42 PM »
Patience???? HUH, WHAT??? ;) ;D Im pretty bored, so Im kind of antsy...
« Last Edit: December 03, 2003, 09:10:14 PM by Alex "swampy" Herd »

Offline super-phat-al

• Vulture Shit, heard of it?
  • I am a real American
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2003, 09:17:02 PM »
damn alex, we do so much of the same stuff its crazy.  ive done this about 4 times.  

What kind of stands do you have?  
Is this an auditorium?
do you have a band shell?
Do you know what pieces they are playing?

I would put the two omnis on the stage left and right in front of the band.  Then take the cards you have and run them directly on the side of the band.  I would use the cards to capture the baritones and tubas.  Because thier sound will get lost because their bells aim up.  usually the tubas and baritones will be on the stage left and in the last rows.  Id put a card right over them if possible.  Then a card over the clarinets.  The percussion shouldn't have any trouble with being heard over the omnis.  
So everything should be ok with that for band.  The omnis should be used to capture the band.  The band should be able to control their own volume and balance on their own, but the tubsa and baritones are gonna get lost so help them out a little.  Keep the cards away from the trumpets.  They'll kill all your chances of picking up the clarinets and assorted low woodwinds.  
The orchestra should again have the two omnis in front.  (If you can)  Change the cards to the front of the stage more.  However if during the performance you have to choose between the mic postion for the orchestra or band choose the band.  
Ive you're recording to a PC, do it on 24/96.  Then sample down.  You want as much as possible to work with.  
While listening to some of DVD-A, SACD classic works, the 24/96 makes the biggest difference ive ever heard.  It really is breathe taking in quality.   It really captures the timbre of the instruments.  

If you know pieces they are playing i may be able to help, ive played too much band music.

Offline Swampy

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2003, 09:23:49 PM »
Thanks for the help Alex! T+!!! Im gonna be using boom stands, all pretty big and sturdy, and then Ive got my stand I use for taping. Yes, it is an auditorium? No band shell. And no. THANKS for all the help man!

radioboy1977

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2003, 09:32:31 PM »
alex,
i have a book i'm going to loan you.  the second edition of the "sound reinforcement handbook."  it should tell you everything you need to know and then some.  i'll bring it to KD on sunday.

Offline Swampy

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2003, 09:33:35 PM »
Jef, what would I do without you??? T++++

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2003, 09:35:30 PM »
alex,
i have a book i'm going to loan you.  the second edition of the "sound reinforcement handbook."  it should tell you everything you need to know and then some.  i'll bring it to KD on sunday.

Yamaha's book? That thing is like the Bible....

I've recommended that book to so many people! I can't stress buying it enough...
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

radioboy1977

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2003, 09:45:03 PM »
tim... that's the one.  it was required reading when i was in school.  i'm the taper i am today because of it;D

alex... what would you do without me?  well, for one thing, i'd imagine you'd get more phone numbers from hot girls at shows if i weren't hanging around all the time ;)

Offline Swampy

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2003, 09:50:09 PM »
alex... what would you do without me?  well, for one thing, i'd imagine you'd get more phone numbers from hot girls at shows if i weren't hanging around all the time ;)

Like Ms. Hoffman??? ;) ;) ;) ;)

radioboy1977

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2003, 09:51:52 PM »
you know it ;D

Offline Swampy

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2003, 10:15:24 PM »
Mike, thanks for the help! I deffinaltly love doing big ambiant recordings. Ive done my schools jazz band, and a lot of church stuff, so it should be cool to get to do the orchestra and concert band! Ive got two seperate concerts, so I'll deffinatly get to do some experimentation!!!!

Offline Swampy

« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2003, 10:54:55 PM »
ummm looks like 24/96 isnt gonna be an option... I was able to record 4 tracks for 4m48.3s... Says the audio disc is full. What exactly is the audio disc? FWIW, I have 34.4 gigs of free space on my hard drive...

Offline super-phat-al

• I am a real American
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2003, 10:57:34 PM »
ummm looks like 24/96 isnt gonna be an option... I was able to record 4 tracks for 4m48.3s... Says the audio disc is full. What exactly is the audio disc? FWIW, I have 34.4 gigs of free space on my hard drive...
what program are you running?

Offline Swampy

« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2003, 10:59:02 PM »
Cakewalk Sonar. I just did a 'clear audio disc' in sonar, but it found no files...

Offline super-phat-al

• I am a real American
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2003, 11:01:02 PM »
Cakewalk Sonar. I just did a 'clear audio disc' in sonar, but it found no files...
alex im confused how are you running 4 tracks into your computer, what kind of sound card are you using?

Offline sexymexi

• Taperssection All-Star
    • show list
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2003, 11:01:10 PM »
my old school had some guys i know come record the choir and orcestra, and one semester he ran i beleive it was AKG 460's front center, i think OTRF, i think the mics were set directly behind the conductor just over his head level, cause when he directs he's gotten the sound he wants from his point of veiw, you have to take that into account cause he might make violins play pianisimo , then cello's mezzo forte so they blend in the mix more. that is what i've seen.

and for the choir, he used 460s of the far left and right, and akg C414b's set up x/y center of choir, just above head level for the baritones in the back.  other times he's ran the same for the choir, and some crown floor mics, and soloist were on wireless shure 58's i think so good luck, hope it works out, i'd love to hear it. i miss that stuff..

matt
AKG 391's > phantom boxes > JB3 or Casio DA-7
Panasonic WM1610 omni's > whatever

Playback: Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum > Onkyo TSDX595 > matched Oynix Rockets > Mirage FRX-S8 sub

Offline Swampy

« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2003, 11:02:42 PM »
alex im confused how are you running 4 tracks into your computer, what kind of sound card are you using?

M-Audio Delta 44. 4in 4out

Offline Swampy

« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2003, 11:03:15 PM »
my old school had some guys i know come record the choir and orcestra, and one semester he ran i beleive it was AKG 460's front center, i think OTRF, i think the mics were set directly behind the conductor just over his head level, cause when he directs he's gotten the sound he wants from his point of veiw, you have to take that into account cause he might make violins play pianisimo , then cello's mezzo forte so they blend in the mix more. that is what i've seen.

and for the choir, he used 460s of the far left and right, and akg C414b's set up x/y center of choir, just above head level for the baritones in the back.  other times he's ran the same for the choir, and some crown floor mics, and soloist were on wireless shure 58's i think so good luck, hope it works out, i'd love to hear it. i miss that stuff..

matt

thanks for the help!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.11 seconds with 45 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com