Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Creative Hard Disc Drive MP3 Player Class Action and Proposed Settlement  (Read 2441 times)

Offline macroint

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • Jeff's List
Don't you love these class action lawsuits where "the people" get a coupon for garbage and the lawyers rake in the cash?

SUMMARY EMAIL NOTICE

To: jm292@xxx.xxx

Subject: Notice of Creative Hard Disc Drive MP3 Player Class Action and Proposed Settlement

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SUMMARY EMAIL NOTICE

If you purchased in the United States between May 5, 2001 and April 30, 2008 from a retail store in the United States (including Creative's and others' on-line retail stores) a new Creative brand hard disc drive MP3 player (“Creative HDD MP3 Player”), a proposed class action settlement may affect you. A hearing has been scheduled in United States District Court, Central District of California to approve the settlement. Under the settlement, you may have the right to make a claim for a discounted MP3 player or a discount certificate. You also may choose to exclude yourself from the settlement. Alternatively, you may file written objections to the settlement or seek to intervene and appear (or have your own attorney appear) at the court hearing. If the settlement is approved and you do not exclude yourself, you give up the right to sue for the claims the settlement resolves, and you will be bound by the terms of the settlement. To learn more about or exercise any of your rights, please read below and visit www.creativehddmp3settlement.com.

The lawsuit is Talwar v. Creative Labs, Inc., United States District Court, Central District of California, Case No. CV 05 3375 FMC. In the suit, plaintiffs allege that in the sale and marketing of its hard disc drive MP3 players Creative stated that purchasers of the drives would receive approximately 7% more usable storage capacity than they actually received and misrepresented the number of songs and number of hours of music the players could hold. Creative has denied and continues to deny each and all of plaintiffs’ claims, and denies that anyone has been harmed or deserves compensation. The Court has not made a decision on the merits.

You are a member of the plaintiff class if you purchased in the United States between May 5, 2001 and April 30, 2008 from a retail store in the United States (including Creative's and others' on-line retail stores) a new Creative brand hard disc drive MP3 player.

As part of the settlement, Creative will make certain disclosures regarding the storage capacity of its hard disc drive MP3 players.

In addition, if you submit a valid claim, you will receive either a 50% discount off the price of a new 1 GB MP3 player, or a discount certificate good for 20% off the price of any single item purchased at www.us.creative.com. To receive the discount player or discount certificate you must submit a claim form available at www.creativehddmp3settlement.com by August 7, 2008. You may submit a claim for each Creative HDD MP3 Player you purchased.

If the settlement is approved, plaintiffs’ counsel will apply for an award of attorneys’ fees and expenses not to exceed $900,000, plus incentive awards for the two representative plaintiffs in the amount of $5,000 each, to be paid separately from and in addition to the relief available to plaintiff class members.

All claims of plaintiff class members which were or could have been asserted in the litigation, based upon the facts alleged in the litigation will be released. This means that if you do not exclude yourself from the plaintiff class, you will give up the right to sue for the claims the settlement resolves, and you will be bound by the terms of the settlement.

You need not take any action. If you wish to exclude yourself from the plaintiff class, you must submit an exclusion request to plaintiffs’ counsel: Brian R. Strange/Gretchen Carpenter, Strange & Carpenter, 12100 Wilshire Boulevard, Suite 1900, Los Angeles, CA 90025. If you exclude yourself, you will not receive the benefits of the settlement, and you cannot object to the settlement or intervene.

If you wish to object to the settlement, intervene or appear (or have your own attorney appear) at the hearing, you must file your objection with the Court and serve it on the parties’ counsel, as follows: Brian R. Strange/Gretchen Carpenter, Strange & Carpenter, 12100 Wilshire Boulevard, Suite 1900, Los Angeles, CA 90025 (counsel for plaintiff); and Daniel K. Slaughter, Stein & Lubin LLP, 600 Montgomery Street, 14th floor, San Francisco, CA 94111 (counsel for Creative). To exclude yourself, object or request to intervene, you must follow the detailed instructions set forth in the Long Form Notice at www.creativehddmp3settlement.com.

All objections, requests to intervene and requests for exclusion must be received by June 9, 2008.

DO NOT CONTACT THE COURT OR CREATIVE CONCERNING THIS NOTICE OR THIS LAWSUIT. If you would like more information about this notice or this case, please visit www.creativehddmp3settlement.com. If you do not have internet access, you may request additional information by mail from counsel for plaintiff, as set forth above.
Peluso CEMC6>PS-2>AD-20>NJB3

SUPPORT LOCAL MUSIC
http://baltimore-taper.blogspot.com

Offline boojum

• Trade Count: (1)
Well, it looks like the lawyers did all the heavy lifting, didn't they?  How much work did you do in this class action suit?  OK, not much I am guessing.  And the settlement may not please you much, but it is more than you had before the settlement.  And the judge decides the settlement, based on prior law.  The defendant can appeal.

Caller number seven got the tickets to Tahoe for two for the weekend, sorry.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2008, 06:16:30 PM by boojum »
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Live from San Francisco
    • BayTaper.com
I'd think the last thing people around here would want to do is sue the manufacturer of what turned out to be one bad-ass little recorder. We should be thanking them instead considering years later our affordable digi-in options are still fairly limited, lol.
BayTaper.com | One Man’s Multimedia Journey Through the San Francisco Jazz & Creative Music Scene

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
I got this email as well.   Bought my JB3 back in 2004 from Creative.

What a frivoulous suite!!!  I would think they could sue many PC or MP3 manufacturers for this as most list the physical capacities of the unformated drive and not the formated capacities.  Although alot of manufacturers do have fine print to make this point - maybe Creative did not.

(i.e. a raw 40GB drive formated with FAT32 would shrink down to 37GB or so)
Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline macroint

• Jeff's List
Well, it looks like the lawyers did all the heavy lifting, didn't they?  How much work did you do in this class action suit?  OK, not much I am guessing.  And the settlement may not please you much, but it is more than you had before the settlement.  And the judge decides the settlement, based on prior law. 

I'm not complaining...I didn't sue Creative, I bought 5 NJB's (two from Creative) and think it's the best purchase for my money I've ever made in my life.

I'm just saying...
Peluso CEMC6>PS-2>AD-20>NJB3

SUPPORT LOCAL MUSIC
http://baltimore-taper.blogspot.com

Offline taylordb

• Taperssection Member
I'd think the last thing people around here would want to do is sue the manufacturer of what turned out to be one bad-ass little recorder. We should be thanking them instead considering years later our affordable digi-in options are still fairly limited, lol.

What he said.

Offline GDfan

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Taperssection Member
I got the same letter in the mail for the nomad juxebox I bought. not the JB3. I actually got the original without the optical in.
if I get a coupon for a discount on a new mp3 player, then well I guess I can use it for an early xmas present or something  ::)
Neumann SKM184 / AKG 568EB > Sound Devices MixPre3
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/CLaPorte

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.078 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com