Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Dat Deck Shutting Off During Taping  (Read 2863 times)

Offline Boedi-taper

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Support Your Local Senior Taper!!!!
Dat Deck Shutting Off During Taping
« on: July 15, 2008, 10:34:02 PM »
Hello Everyone!
My Sony D8 Dat has stopped recording during a show twice in the last 8 months or so(Last fall at A Ratdog show in Albany,N.Y.,and this Past June at a Moe show in Utica,N.Y.).I monitor my levels quite frequently,and noticed that the deck stopped.I taped at least a half dozen other shows in between the above mentioned shows and I'm just wondering if its probably just the fact that the deck is 8 years old.I clean the heads on the deck quite regularly,fast forward and rewind the dat tapes before,etc.Yes,I know that I'm in the minority taping Dat these days,but that Sony D8 deck has recorded some memorable shows.Would like to keep it as long as possible.Any info on possibles causes/cures would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks!!!

Offline gratefulphish

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Gone Tapin'
Re: Dat Deck Shutting Off During Taping
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2008, 11:30:06 PM »
Could be the battery contacts, you may want to sand them lightly.  And more critically, it could be the transport mechanism locking up.  That is what happened to my DA-P1.
4 channel: Neumann TLM-170R>Segue Dogstar>SD 722   2 channel: Neumann TLM-170R>Segue Dogstar>Lunatec V3>SD 722
               Linked to Lunatec V3>MT 24/96                                     (Hi-Ho Silver Interconnects)     

Other gear: AKG C451Es, Tascam DA-P1, Sony D-8

Offline Boedi-taper

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2008, 01:03:58 AM »
I suppose I could wipe down the battery contactswith a cloth right? How about the transport mechanism and fixing that?Thanks for responding!

Offline Belexes

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2008, 07:50:03 AM »
An 8 year old deck? I'd send it into Paul for service if you are going to continue on with it:

http://www.prodigitalinc.com/
Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > HiHo Silver XLR's > Deck TBD

CA-14 (c,o)/MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod)/AT853(4.7k mod)(c,o,h,sc)/CAFS (o)/CA-1 (o) > CA-9100 (V. 4.1)/CA-9200/CA-UBB > Sony PCM-D50/Sony PCM-M10

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2008, 08:53:56 AM »
Of course, the obvious question is "did you have the deck's hold switch on?"
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

Offline dave570

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2008, 09:07:59 AM »
My D8 used to do this too.  Moisture from weather changes (cold to hot) caused it.

Send it to Paul at Pro Digitial.  He's the best. My D8 gets cleaned by him every 12-15 months.
Its 8 years old and going strong, it got a clean bill of health from Paul in January.
Yeah, I want to dump it for a memory card recorder, but the heads are still very good.
I never play a tape on it.  I only use it for recording. 

Offline Boedi-taper

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2008, 03:01:26 PM »
Thanks for the info guys....Also,no,I did not have the deck's "Hold" position on.I suppose this would certainly prevent the deck from shutting off,right?

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2008, 04:26:01 PM »
this used to be a common problem with d8s. sometimes they would just freak out and reset. since youre not recording anymore after the reset, it goes into sleep mode after awhile.

i cant remember what the fix was.

Thanks for the info guys....Also,no,I did not have the deck's "Hold" position on.I suppose this would certainly prevent the deck from shutting off,right?
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline sleepypedro

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2008, 07:09:33 PM »
if i remember, this was a symptom of head failure.  it's basically totalled.  would sony even produce replacement heads at this point?

just spend $300 and enter the 24-bit portable game.  it's a worthwhile upgrade for so many reasons!

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2008, 08:33:33 PM »
better resolution, smaller, lighter, are all very good reasons, aside from the cost of media you will save. DATs are still $4-$5 each right? i havent bought any in 7 years!

if i remember, this was a symptom of head failure.  it's basically totalled.  would sony even produce replacement heads at this point?

just spend $300 and enter the 24-bit portable game.  it's a worthwhile upgrade for so many reasons!
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline bluegrass_brad

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Old and in the way.
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2008, 09:37:11 AM »
if i remember, this was a symptom of head failure. 

Im pretty sure this is a symptom.  Not positive, as It's been awhile since I owned a D8. but pretty sure.
CK1x, CK2x, CK3x > Hub Industry Cables > Naiant PFA or MK46 > 460B
CK1, CK8, CK63 > 460b

"That was back in a time when society was not quite ready for this music. Anyone remember those days? That's when punk rock was dangerous, right?" - Mike Ness

Offline Boedi-taper

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2008, 04:43:18 PM »

Do you have any good 24-bit portables that you'd recommend for the above price and where I can find them on-line?Thanks!
                                                                                                                                                                        Dave

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.247 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com