Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: AT 831B - cutting them free  (Read 5589 times)

Offline dphirschler

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
AT 831B - cutting them free
« on: August 05, 2008, 02:43:46 PM »
I have a pair of AT 831B mics that I love, but have wanted to cut them free from the bulky battery box for years.  Well, after the batter box started developing problems I decided to finally do it.  So I cut them free.  I was expecting  two wires inside the cable, a positive and a ground.  What I found surprised me and now I do not know how to wire them up to a stereo 1/8" connector.  The wires inside each mic cable are as follows:

2 yellow
2 red
1 shield

Can anybody tell me how they should be wired up?  Thanks in advance.

Darryl

Offline ArchivalAudio

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Teams Milab | MBHO | TeamVW:2011 Touareg TDI
Re: AT 831B - cutting them free
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2008, 07:38:44 PM »
this might be better placed in the Microphones section...since this is really a mic question
however
Chris
at Church Audio
might
be of help?
I dunno

I searched the mic section for
AT831B
and got
http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,42835.0.html

also check out Sound Professionals
perhaps

good luck

peace
-- Ian

« Last Edit: August 06, 2008, 08:02:36 PM by ArchivalAudio »
~ Archival Audio ~
Archiving Worthy Music
since 1986 & digitally since 1995

https://www.facebook.com/ArchivalAudio/

Main Mics: Milab VM-44 Links • Milab DC-196's (Matched  Pair)  • MBHO KA500 or KA300 •
PreAmps:  BaybNbox  • Naiant LittleBox • Naiant [Milab VM44] TinyBox • Naiant PIPsqueak
Recorders: MixPre 10T •  Tascam DR-100 mkIII • Sony A-10 • Sony M-10 

macMini 3Ghz i7 16GB Ram 500GB SSD • MOTU UltraLite
Naiant MSH-2's •   TOA K1's • Beyer TG 153c's •  AT 853 (4.7kmod darktrain) • Countryman B3's (1 k mod)  + other assorted mics

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2008, 07:43:02 PM »
I have a pair of AT 831B mics that I love, but have wanted to cut them free from the bulky battery box for years.  Well, after the batter box started developing problems I decided to finally do it.  So I cut them free.  I was expecting  two wires inside the cable, a positive and a ground.  What I found surprised me and now I do not know how to wire them up to a stereo 1/8" connector.  The wires inside each mic cable are as follows:

2 yellow
2 red
1 shield

Can anybody tell me how they should be wired up?  Thanks in advance.

Darryl

Take the Yellow wire and connect it to ground with the shield. And the Red wire goes to the ring or tip You can put a 4.7k resistor in between the yellow wire and the shield for my hi spl mod.

Chris
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline ArchivalAudio

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Teams Milab | MBHO | TeamVW:2011 Touareg TDI
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2008, 11:00:52 PM »
Chris,
thanx
I figured you would know what to do...
I though about the 4.7k mod and originally included it
but
I knew you could give the correct info

thanx

-- Ian
~ Archival Audio ~
Archiving Worthy Music
since 1986 & digitally since 1995

https://www.facebook.com/ArchivalAudio/

Main Mics: Milab VM-44 Links • Milab DC-196's (Matched  Pair)  • MBHO KA500 or KA300 •
PreAmps:  BaybNbox  • Naiant LittleBox • Naiant [Milab VM44] TinyBox • Naiant PIPsqueak
Recorders: MixPre 10T •  Tascam DR-100 mkIII • Sony A-10 • Sony M-10 

macMini 3Ghz i7 16GB Ram 500GB SSD • MOTU UltraLite
Naiant MSH-2's •   TOA K1's • Beyer TG 153c's •  AT 853 (4.7kmod darktrain) • Countryman B3's (1 k mod)  + other assorted mics

Offline dphirschler

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2008, 12:26:43 AM »
Thanks Chris and Ian.  I will try this out next time I get out the soldering iron.  Will I need a high quality resistor or will the Radio Shack one work fine?  ... assuming Radio Shack still sells those things.

Darryl

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2008, 03:13:22 PM »
Thanks Chris and Ian.  I will try this out next time I get out the soldering iron.  Will I need a high quality resistor or will the Radio Shack one work fine?  ... assuming Radio Shack still sells those things.

Darryl

You should use metal film resistors I am pretty sure radio shack sells them in the USA. I would also use a 1% if you can find it if not use a meter and try and match them the best you can. Because if they are way off that will change your output from mic to mic. Also you can send me $3.00 for postage and I can send you a few in the mail. You also dont need anything over 1/2 watt. even 1/8th watt will be fine.

Chris

Offline rsimms3

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2008, 10:22:54 AM »
« Last Edit: September 01, 2008, 10:25:00 AM by rsimms3 »
FOR SALE - Check HERE

Offline dphirschler

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2008, 12:22:49 AM »
Can you explain the logic behind the 4.7k resistor?  What does it accomplish and how?

Darryl

Offline dphirschler

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2009, 04:48:05 PM »
I thought I should report back with my results.  I soldered it up to a stereo connector per your instructions (no resistor though) and it works great!  I decided I don't need the resistor since my battery box has an adjustable attenuator built right into the cable.  I thought I had messed something up at first because there was a buzzing sound in the left channel, but it turned out it was just a new connector not making good connection.  Unplugging and replugging several times did the trick.

Thanks for the help guys.  Cutting these mics free from their bulky battery boxes (that's right they each had a box complete with bulky XLR connector) and using them with the smaller Sound Professionals battery box has given them new life!  And now they are stealthier than ever!  Muhahahaha!!

Darryl

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2009, 06:49:09 AM »
I decided I don't need the resistor since my battery box has an adjustable attenuator built right into the cable. 

If it was that easy there wouldn't be much talk here about the 4.7 mod. Attenuating the signal to the recorder will not keep the mic capsules from overloading in high sound pressure situations. That is the reason people do the 4.7 mod.

Without the mod, you mics will work fine in most situations, but won't be reliable in extremely high SPL situations (especially if you like to stack tape loud concerts).
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2009, 09:32:16 AM »
I decided I don't need the resistor since my battery box has an adjustable attenuator built right into the cable. 

If it was that easy there wouldn't be much talk here about the 4.7 mod. Attenuating the signal to the recorder will not keep the mic capsules from overloading in high sound pressure situations. That is the reason people do the 4.7 mod.

Without the mod, you mics will work fine in most situations, but won't be reliable in extremely high SPL situations (especially if you like to stack tape loud concerts).

Attenuating an already "distorted signal" just makes it a "quiet already distorted signal" Muhahahaha!!
Some companies that shall remain nameless have tried to fix the problem that way and it does not work. The only reason why you might get less distortion is the gig your recording is not loud enough to cause distortion therefore its impossible to know the net result of anything with out first approaching it in a some what scientific way of at least being able to "measure the acoustic level of the show" and distortion in a percentage form.

Chris

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.074 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com