Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: DIY shockmount for Sony PCM-D50  (Read 1714 times)

Offline nolonemo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
DIY shockmount for Sony PCM-D50
« on: September 14, 2008, 11:53:13 PM »
I made this shockmount for the D50 out of 1/8" x 3/4" aluminum stock (available at good hardware stores).  The joint/pivots are 5/16" pop rivets.  When doing the pop riveting I inserted shims around the rivet, so that the joint would be loose enough to pivot.  The pivoting crosspiece lets you fold it flat for storage/transport.  I had thought that I would need set screws to hold the crosspiece angle, but the joint is tight enough so that the set screws weren't needed.  I drilled and tapped the crosspiece to go onto a 3/8-16 threaded stud (standard thread on photo light stands), I insert a reducter to fit 1/4-20 studs as needed.  The rubber bands are the ones that the postman uses to bundle letters...they hold the d50 very securely, but provide lots of bounce.

Offline digifish_music

• Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
Re: DIY shockmount for Sony PCM-D50
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2008, 01:38:56 AM »
Very nice +T.

Make sure you keep an eagle eye on the rubber bands as they perish and you know what may happen then :)

Perhaps you should look for some nice o-rings or something from a more durable material... Silicone wrist-bands perhaps, e.g.

http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&q=silicone%20wrist%20bands

or similar.

Thinking about an alternative to the riveting, perhaps a pair of wing-nuts on a short flat-head bolt/screw.

digifish
« Last Edit: September 15, 2008, 01:55:42 AM by digifish_music »
- What's this knob do?

Offline nolonemo

• Taperssection Newbie
Re: DIY shockmount for Sony PCM-D50
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2008, 08:22:06 PM »
Fish - thanks for the idea about wristbands, handn't thought of that, know what you mean about rotting rubber bands.  Fortunately, with the amount of junk mail I get, I always have a freshs supply.   :P

Nice thing about pop rivet is that there's nothing to lose.  Also, if you have the tool, a little easier than cutting threads with a tap.  If I were going the screw route, I would use thumb screws rather than flat head screws, that way I could tighten down the angle without using a coin, or whatever.  Thumbscrews are butt ugly, though.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.033 seconds with 27 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com