Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: CDwav problem using vista - SOLVED thanks to TS!!!  (Read 2324 times)

Offline divamum

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
CDwav problem using vista - SOLVED thanks to TS!!!
« on: January 25, 2009, 11:27:29 PM »
Apologies in advance if this is in the archive and I missed it - I'm bugged-eyed and trying to finish tracking something and it's driving me NUTS!  Point me to a link/tutorial/thread/whatever if there is one and you don't feel like typing out the answer :)

In any case, I have FINALLY got Wavelab 5 to run on my Vista laptop, and now am trying to track my file using CDWav. It installed, it runs... but I remember there was another step needed with the lame encoder before you could convert the output to mp3.  HOWEVER.....  the help file won't run in vista so I can't even just follow the instructions to set it up properly.  At the moment   the "save" dialog only offers PCM as the output choice.  And google has not been my friend this evening....  help! 

Can somebody either

1 Remind me what I have to do to allow it to output mp3s after tracking
2. Point me to another program which will run more happily under vista but do the same thing as easily as CDWav does.

Thanks (and apologies again if the answer is staring me in the face and I missed it...) 
 :o :o :o

PS It's also telling me that it's a 31 day free trial, but I'm sure I remember it as freeware last time I installed it on my old computer   ???
« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 09:44:41 PM by divamum »
DPA4060
R09

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
  • Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: CDwav problem using vista
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2009, 11:56:20 PM »
It's always been shareware. The last few releases have made that point more prominent. It won't quit working after the 31 days but for what it does, $15 is a very small price to pay.

As for outputting to mp3, or something other than .wav, click File > Save and when the Select Output window pops up click Direct WAV under output mode and the other file types and their various options should appear. Then set what options you want, make sure you are saving it where you want it and click OK.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2009, 11:59:08 PM by flipp »

Offline divamum

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2009, 12:02:52 AM »
As for outputting to mp3, or something other than .wav, click Direct WAV under output mode and the other file types and their various options should appear. Then set what options you want, make sure you are saving it where you want it and click OK.

Right - that's what it SHOULD be.  The problem I'm facing is exactly that there are no choices available for output other than PCM. Thassit.  Nothing else.  They're not even greyed out, they're just not there at all (I've clicked everything in that dialog box and can't find anything at all).

I do remember that I had to go through a rigamarole to get this working last time (in XP) and it required downloading a specific lame encoder.  But because I can't read the help file (thanks Vista), I can't get the linke for the website to find that info, and I could'nt find it when I googled either. 

Any other ideas?
DPA4060
R09

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2009, 12:08:49 AM »
I'm still using W2K so may not be of much further help. As soon as the other box gets done burning a couple of discs I'll open CDWave and see if I can find anything in the help file. Should take about 10 minutes to get back to this thread. This is a linux box so can't check help here. Standby.

Not much in the FAQ but a little in the Help file under Output. For mp3, go to http://www.milosoftware.com/en/index.php?body=download.php and scroll down for more specific info on what is needed and where to get it.

Good luck. It appears I have yet another reason to stay away from newer versions of Windows.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 12:21:14 AM by flipp »

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2009, 12:38:39 AM »
Good luck. It appears I have yet another reason to stay away from newer versions of Windows.

Windows 7 rocks.   Best version of Windows to date and that includes the fact that 7 is still in beta.  Can't wait for it to RTM.

Oh and btw CDWave works great in 7.   >:D

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2009, 12:48:51 AM »

Windows 7 rocks.   Best version of Windows to date and that includes the fact that 7 is still in beta.  Can't wait for it to RTM.

Oh and btw CDWave works great in 7.   >:D

WavBreaker in Linux looks like a CDWave clone so one more reason not to upgrade W2K. And one review I read indicated 7 alpha was faster than the newer beta, which this reviewer indicated was also looking more like Vista than the alpha release.

2K, everything I need works in it so I'll keep it for those few things I haven't found an equivalent in Linux.

Sorry for the thread jack. Hope you get CDWave working in Vista as well as OFOTD indicates it does in W7.

Offline divamum

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2009, 09:16:33 AM »
To be fair to Vista, this is the first Vista-specific problem I've had since I got my laptop in November - I admit I was VERY pleasantly surprised by it (I had actually planned to wipe it and install XP, but gave it a try first and was happy enough that I just left it as shipped).

Thanks for the link. That said, I think it may not solve the problem since I'm not getting the expected error message.   Here's the screen shot of what I'm getting when I go to save a file - pcm  and its subflavours and that's it (click on the picture for a full size view)

Aside: does pcm=wav, or is it something else entirely? I only remember seeing pcm referred to as maximum lossless recording quality so am now thoroughly confused.    

Any thoughts on  further workarounds are seriously welcomed - I love this little program and will be very sad if I can't get it working!!!

Thanks in advance...

DPA4060
R09

Offline gmm6797

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Schoeps MK4 > nBoxPlat > Sony A10/SDMixPre6/SD 722
    • Homepage
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2009, 07:38:26 PM »
FWIW, I have Vista 64bit Business, and CDWav works like it did in W2k and XP

Try running it with administrator rights, see if that helps

Offline divamum

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2009, 09:44:23 PM »
SUCCCCESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!

After gmm6797 posted that it worked for him (her? sorry, can't tell from your handle!), I thought I'd reinstall just in case it had corrupted somehow, and in the course of googling for  a dl site realised I didn't have the current version installed.

Have now installed a more current version and it works, it works!!!

::does happy dance::

THANK YOU all for your help!!!
DPA4060
R09

Offline gmm6797

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Schoeps MK4 > nBoxPlat > Sony A10/SDMixPre6/SD 722
    • Homepage
Re: CDwav problem using vista - SOLVED thanks to TS!!!
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2009, 10:53:39 PM »
Im a boy in trapped in a mans body, but its all good :)

glad it is working... i wonder if you installed a pre-vista version by accident

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.1 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com